Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
If you don't like customizing your OS... then why did you post in a thread about commercial software that customizes your OS? :confused:

You're really going to ask me that question when people that don't even own a Mac and are very vocal that they never will still create an account and post on MR with their opinion of why this forum is so stupid for buying a Mac and not using Windows 100% of the time. Those types of people tend to be called something else but overall it's called Expressing an Opinion and we all have that privilege here granted we obey the forum rules.

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
You're really going to ask me that question when people that don't even own a Mac and are very vocal that they never will still create an account and post on MR with their opinion of why this forum is so stupid for buying a Mac and not using Windows 100% of the time. Those types of people tend to be called something else but overall it's called Expressing an Opinion and we all have that privilege here granted we obey the forum rules.

Just because one can doesn't mean one should.

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Can you share that wallpaper, please?

Sure, enjoy!

35lspiw.jpg

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

but the point is valid; why post on a thread about customization when you're opposed to it? :rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just because one can doesn't mean one should.

Well that's not for you to decide.

----------

but the point is valid; why post on a thread about customization when you're opposed to it? :rolleyes:

Actually no it's not valid. An opinion is an opinion and I have that right to express it just as you have that right to ignore it which is what you should've done from jump street.;)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Well that's not for you to decide.

----------

Actually no it's not valid. An opinion is an opinion and I have that right to express it just as you have that right to ignore it which is what you should've done from jump street.;)

you're posting on a SOCIAL forum, in a thread that supports customization...something you obviously don't support. why shouldn't i (or anyone else) respond? :confused:

Litchy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
I thought it might be unnecessary to open up a whole new topic so here is my question:

DockMod proves that it is possible to get rid of the dock shelf while using mavericks. Is there really no alternative to DockMod that costs a little less or is free? I mean I'd love to customize my dock a little but... 8$ for a slight design change is... just to much.

Thanks in advance,
Litchy

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
I looked for alternatives (10.9.1) before I settled with DockMod. For the time being, it appears to be the only convenient option.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
I thought it might be unnecessary to open up a whole new topic so here is my question:

DockMod proves that it is possible to get rid of the dock shelf while using mavericks. Is there really no alternative to DockMod that costs a little less or is free? I mean I'd love to customize my dock a little but... 8$ for a slight design change is... just to much.

Thanks in advance,
Litchy

It really is the only option, for 3D dock anyway.

If you want a 2D black dock instead, I found this mod that uses Simbl (scroll down to my post)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1681155/

I'm sure that more mods will follow now that a few people have figured out ways around Apple's stupid idea to restrict the dock :rolleyes:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Just a heads up you can actually mod the 2d blackdock plugin for simbl really easily.

Basically you make a 100% transparent dock by changing like 2 numbers.

YfL5V7K.png

You can also get some cool looking stuff like this:

TigerDockMavericks.png

sauciest

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Just a heads up you can actually mod the 2d blackdock plugin for simbl really easily.

Basically you make a 100% transparent dock by changing like 2 numbers.

You can also get some cool looking stuff like this:

Any chance you could post how you made the second one?

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
I installed DockMod 2.0 today and while it properly makes the dock transparent, my dock icons are missing!

All I can see are the standard glowing lights under where the icons are supposed to be when I open one up.

The only way to to see my icons again is to disable DockMod, which also returns the dock..

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I installed DockMod 2.0 today and while it properly makes the dock transparent, my dock icons are missing!

All I can see are the standard glowing lights under where the icons are supposed to be when I open one up.

The only way to to see my icons again is to disable DockMod, which also returns the dock..

just click 'apply' upper right, and you should be fine (that's what worked for me)...

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Oh, I see what I did incorrectly!

I chose 'transparent' instead of 'black' theme. I'm not sure that helps people who use the transparent theme if their icons go missing, but the black theme doesn't hide the icons.

Thanks anyway fisher.

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Here's a new problem:
There seems to be a new reflection/shadow for the trash icon that can't be hidden like before.

I'll use a temporary solution like GeekTool but if there's another, please let me know!

TooSmooth

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Did he get rid of "freemode" with this latest update? I've got that stupid scrolling red trial text every 10 mins or so, all i need is the simple black dock

RasKat

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
Here's a new problem:
There seems to be a new reflection/shadow for the trash icon that can't be hidden like before.

I'll use a temporary solution like GeekTool but if there's another, please let me know!

I have the same problem with all icons when running DockMod 2.0 in transparent mode. Trying to disable the icon shadows, then pressing apply - nothing happens!

Anyone knows how to deal with this?

Thanks!

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
I'm considering whether to install it, but do I need to uninstall DockMod first?

Btw, it looks great- thanks for giving us the heads up. I'm only subscribed to this thread atm.

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I'm considering whether to install it, but do I need to uninstall DockMod first?

Btw, it looks great- thanks for giving us the heads up. I'm only subscribed to this thread atm.

Not sure if you're replying to me or not but if you want to use cDock you don't have to 'uninstall' DockMod but you do need to go into the preferences and switch it off in the top right corner.

gamegurunaga

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Not sure if you're replying to me or not but if you want to use cDock you don't have to 'uninstall' DockMod but you do need to go into the preferences and switch it off in the top right corner.
It works like a charm, thanks Wolf!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.