Dodged a bullet - Blizzard of 2010

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Dec 27, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think I dodged a bullet, but it may come back to bite me.

I'm vacationing at Cape Cod with the family and so I missed the blizzard that hit Boston. BUT, that means no one's home to shovel out the snow, and my friend watching our cats might not be able to get into the house to feed them.

My town which is next to boston is experienced significant flooding and the snow fall totals seem to be 12-16 inches and still falling. :eek:

2. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I got a foot in Newport News, Va. That's a LOT of snow for this area.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hope your cats will be OK.

Outside my condo on Long Island. So pretty.

Attached Files:

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Our daughter's flight home to Washington, DC is cancelled for the second day. The good news is that we didn't loose power. I was out shoveling at 4 am as my wife works at a hospital and is essential personnel. Her ride to Newton, MA (16 miles) went fine. We have about 15 inches here in Millis and the wind is still blowing like crazy. The snow is on the light weight side but does stick together. So the shoveling isn't too bad except for the wind.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, the most since 1981... Almost 30 years!!!

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

We've had some in the time I've been here, the last good one was the day after Christmas about 10 years ago. We had about a foot in Yorktown.

7. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Abandoned stretch limo in Brooklyn. Sometime between 1and 3am.

[​IMG]

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You americans are such wusses. 12 inches, and you cancel flights are abandon vehicules over that ? Wow, cry me a river. Weather services here announced 2 inches back in the beginning of December. It turned into 16 inches by the time it had fallen. Everyone got home at most 30 minutes late, no buses/trains/flights were cancelled, no one abandonned their cars or anything and the next morning roads were already cleared of snow.

You guys really need to man up a bit, it's just frozen water. It's easy to push out of your way.

9. kellen, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

We got a foot or so here in Philly. I love it. Went out driving for some coffee. Luckily I put the snow tires on my Jeep last week.

Like back in 07 when you guys closed things down due to a foot of snow as well? Link

10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Me and my fiance were visiting her family in Rhode Island/Connecticut for Christmas. Thank God we left yesterday morning. We were supposed to get hammered here in PA but we didn't. Phew...

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

We were supposed to get a bunch of snow, but that didn't happen.

There were plowtrucks on every exit (3 trucks per) waiting for the snow to come.

I think we got like 1 or two inches. It doesn't even look that much...

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Uh huh...
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=montreal_digs_out_from_a_maj_071210

http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in-montreal/first-heavy-snowfall-of-the-season-hit-montreal?render=print

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/10/30/mtl-poweroutage1030.html

http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1238676/heavy_snow_storm_cancels_flights_in_toronto_train_service_quickly/index.html

...and most of those reported less snow than fell in NYC last night. I guess you aren't that bulletproof afterall.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We got just a bit less than a foot where we are (also near Boston, within 128) just about to go outside and see if we can make it to the sledding hill a few blocks away.

B

14. maflynn, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know sheesh, why can't planes fly in zero visibility, 60mph winds, or cars drive on the roads while not being able see 10 feet in front of you, or through unplowed street :rolleyes:

Don't forget to tell us how you walked to school in a blizzard up hill both ways without shoes or pants :p

15. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Who's crying? This is awesome. It's not the snow that's the problem, it's the 60mph wind gusts combined with the snow and zero visibility; hence the term blizzard. It would be better if people were a little more wussie here in NYC. These idiots are driving around in a blizzard with bald tires and no chains, getting stuck, causing traffic jams and making it impossible for the plows to get through. Cabs were spun out all over the street last night. It was quite entertaining.

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Shhh, don't ruin Kinght's moment of dissing Americans. He's relishing in the perceived superiority

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Awww no, I hope kitties are ok. They usually are ok for a few days on their own. I left mine for 6 days with someone who flaked on coming over after day 1 ... the cat was ok for 5 days on his own, but he was super low on water. :eek:

Snow here is pretty now, it's out of control up north.

18. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well one is famine resistant, she's in excess of 15 lbs. We left enough food and water to last them a couple of days. The fat one generally eats all of her food in one sitting, so she'll have to suffer. The other one's food bowl is in a location the fat one cannot jump to, so both should be ok.

From what I hear, the snow is starting to taper off there and once dug our, the suspect the friend will try to get to our house tomorrow.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

As long as they have water, they'll be fine. We leave ours for a couple of days at time. Just load up the kibble, and then I'll put out a week's worth of water in a couple of bowls incase we're delayed.

Have a safe journey home. Remember to go slow and steady, and you'll be fine.

20. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm in Beverly MA. We got about a foot of heavy snow. It was a PITA to shovel.

21. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be heading back to my home friday. I'm hoping with the milder temps forcasted later this week will easy my shoveling. I'd hate to deal with 16 - 18 inches of frozen hard packed snow

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Screw that. Call a neighbor and have him hire some kids to do it before you get home.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ this! As I recently learned, the neighborhood kids will do just about anything for $10. My neighbor told me as I brought home my new leaf blower ... which is useless for now. :eek:

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hi Ms. Bxxxxx, need anything done today? :p

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

Even after you get home, hire some kids. Shovelling snow puts people who are, um, not young and/or incredibly fit at a hugely elevated risk of having a heart-attack (not that I'm making any assumptions!!!). The type of exertion (intense-rest-intense-rest) and then the cold temperatures, but then you overheat as you exert yourself put the heart under immense strain. Plus the back - you run the risk of straining your back.

Spend the $20 or $30, knowing that you are helping the local economy, and enjoy a hot-chocolate inside.

ps Even by Canadian standards, that was a major storm. We should really be making fun of the Brits. They measured their latest crippling snow storm in inches.