Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Just did, thanks for alerting me there was such a feature. I'm tired of your bitterness and insistence on hijacking as many threads as possible to go on another rant about tabs reloading.

Yep, hijacking threads about memory in the air to talk about ...

... Memory on the air.

Some real unprecedented hijacking going on there. :rolleyes:

Here is another video I just made for folks saying it's not a problem/blown out of proportion

Link to Video

I guess I lost GalFriday, but anyone else poo-pooing the issue have any comments?

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
but anyone else poo-pooing the issue have any comments?

Yup, pretty obvious it's a reloading problem and NO other apps in the background either. Buy a Samsung Pro :)

Edit: I just tried it on my Air running 7.1.1 editing this message and had Walmart searching Schwinn Bikes and Vacuum Cleaners and reading reviews. No reloads. I'll try it on my iPad 3 running iOS 5.

Edit 2: No issues with my iPad 3 as well with the above scenario. I even signed in and added an item to my cart. I have had iPad reload issues before but 2 tabs and no issues

Last edited:

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I never realized just how much RAM web browser tabs take up until I installed MemoryKeeper on my iMac. 150-300mb each tab. So it makes sense that it would eat up all the ram on the iPad, as the browser still displays all the photos and contents that it does on a desktop.

Aside from too many web browser tabs, i've never had any issues with RAM being inadequate.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Edit 2: No issues with my iPad 3 as well with the above scenario. I even signed in and added an item to my cart. I have had iPad reload issues before but 2 tabs and no issues

iPad 3 never had a reloading problem. It started happening with the Air, presumably because it switched to 64 bit.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Just because the one you chose was laggy doesn't mean they all are. You make posts like this with broad generalisations and then act all surprised when people react :rolleyes:

So, talking about broad generalisations, do you own an Ipad 4 running 7.1.1 ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That would make two of us. It was blatant sarcasm pointing out the absurdity of the idea that a flagship device like the Air wouldn't run smoothly, or would be underpowered out of the gate. Yeah, it's only 1GB RAM, but it's also iOS, which isn't exactly an intensive operating system.
Thing is, the iPad Air was laggy out the gate (at least compared to iPad 4 w/iOS 6.1.3 performance). I actually forgive the bugginess since that's pretty much the norm with initial releases but the Air's still the most crash prone flagship iOS device I've used. However, the blame really should be put on iOS 7.0 rather than the Air's hardware.

To answer the OP's question though, there should be no problem using the Air for YouTube and PDF. I use GoodReader and/or PDF Expert (back when GoodReader hadn't been upgraded and was running glitchy on iOS 7.0) and I have no complaints with performance on either. Thanks to the CPU bump, the Air actually renders pages more quickly than the 4 does.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Yep, hijacking threads about memory in the air to talk about ...

... Memory on the air.

Some real unprecedented hijacking going on there. :rolleyes:

Here is another video I just made for folks saying it's not a problem/blown out of proportion

Link to Video

I guess I lost GalFriday, but anyone else poo-pooing the issue have any comments?

Using Atomic Browser on my iPad Air iOS 7.1.1 seems to have cured the tab re loading issue. (For me anyway)

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm using an iPad Air to stream music, some stored on my device and some from my iTunes in the cloud, to a Bose soundlink 2 (I've even tried spotify.) If I haven't reset the iPad in a while or I have a few apps running I will get slight glitches in the music even minute or so which is highly frustrating and will only go away after a soft reset. I used to have the same problem on my iPhone 5, but since I've had my iphone 5S it's been perfectly fine.
I've tested everything I can and all I can put it down to is a lack of RAM.
I would just use my phone to play the music but any calls/emails will interrupt the music anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.