Does 64 bit Safari have any advantages over 32 bit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonsai1214, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i read about how the extra bittage allows for usage of more ram, but seeing as i only have 2gb of ram, is there a notable difference? because i really want my adblock back..

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There are other advantages of 64-bit than just addressing large amounts of RAM. Here's a good article on it: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/5

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3rd party app - developers will most likely be releasing updates in the near future. In the mean time, you can just run Safari in 32-bit mode. If you don't like the performance difference (if you notice it), then you can decide whether you can do without the 3rd party app.

3. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Safari is a particularly odd case, since its javascript engine actually works in a different way in 64 bit mode. It gets a nice speedup.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It seems to crash more often in 64-bit mode (when using the "Save Picture" command). Not that it crashes regularly, but it never did in 32-bit under OS X 10.5. And I'm not running any plug-ins, now, so you'd think it be more stable for that, if nothing else. :confused: