Does a HDD from a PC work when put in a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tamasi, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Tamasi macrumors member

I have got a crashed PC (Sony vaio) but its HDD still works perfectly fine. (The PC's motherboard died so to speak.)

My question is: if I would put this HDD (with Windows Vista installed on it, and also all kinds of programs and files) in the optibay of a MacBook Pro, would it work just fine? Would I be able to boot from that HDD and access and use my files as if I were working on my old PC?

Really curious to your insights :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Unlikely. But what about putting the HDD in an external enclosure and connecting that to the MBP?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Most likely not. Most likely you have an OEM version of Windows specifically created for you Sony computer, and it would only work on the exact same computer. And you wouldn't have the drivers for Macintosh hardware that come with Bootcamp.

4. aussiedj macrumors regular

5. Tamasi thread starter macrumors member

I understand that in that case I would most likely at least be able to access the files on my old HDD?

Thanks for all your very swift replies btw

6. simsaladimbamba

If the HDD is okay and the partition table is not corrupt, then yes. See the FAQ I quoted.

What has that to do with the OP's question?
    NTFS-3G is a driver to enable Mac OS X to WRITE to NTFS formatted volumes, therefore it would not help the OP, as Mac OS X is not involved in the OP's endeavour.