Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevlong

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
The alarm still works if:
  • the silence button is on
  • the phone is in flight mode

The latter one saves a lot of battery.

Kevlong

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
It works if it is locked -- that is, if the iPhone is asleep but still on.

If the iPhone is actually powered down ("Slide to Power Off") then of course not, the alarm will not work.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Which is a serious problem because Blackberrys can do this.

Ahh yes, the dreaded comparison to a Blackberry. The Blackberry alarm also has Snooze, which iPhone is missing. I really hope they prioritize the alarm functionality of the iPhone soon! The alarm functionality is CRITICAL in today's hectic and fast paced world to stay on top of things.

If Apple expects more widespread corporate adoption they are going to have to take a good look at some of the things a Crackberry can do that an iPhone can't and add them to a future firmware.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ahh yes, the dreaded comparison to a Blackberry. The Blackberry alarm also has Snooze, which iPhone is missing. I really hope they prioritize the alarm functionality of the iPhone soon! The alarm functionality is CRITICAL in today's hectic and fast paced world to stay on top of things.

If Apple expects more widespread corporate adoption they are going to have to take a good look at some of the things a Crackberry can do that an iPhone can't and add them to a future firmware.

The iPhone has a snooze for the Alarm, when you configure the alarm your able to hit the snooze on/off switch. I've been a 2+ year blackberry user and I can say the iPhone alarm is 10x better than the BB one. Since I can do more than one alarm the BB one wins hands down and of course I set one for a specific day not just weekends/weekdays/all.

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
It works if it is locked -- that is, if the iPhone is asleep but still on.

If the iPhone is actually powered down ("Slide to Power Off") then of course not, the alarm will not work.

Of Course not? Out of the 2 dozen mobiles I've owned in my life, this is the first one that does not include this feature. I love my iPhone, but turn the fanboy switch off.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Of Course not? Out of the 2 dozen mobiles I've owned in my life, this is the first one that does not include this feature. I love my iPhone, but turn the fanboy switch off.

I know, it always blows me away how the fanboys write off all the shortcomings of the iPhone because they love their cute iphone or they love apple or whatever.

The truth is, I love my iPhone, but these shortcomings need to be fixed ASAP or the phone is not functional for me.

There is NO snooze on the iPhone calendar alarms, ONLY the alarm clock function which is supposed to "Wake you up" in the morning.

I was referring to the CALENDAR ALARMS, not the alarm clock for those who are confused and insist that the iPhone does have snooze.

DUH!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

I know, it always blows me away how the fanboys write off all the shortcomings of the iPhone because they love their cute iphone or they love apple or whatever.

The truth is, I love my iPhone, but these shortcomings need to be fixed ASAP or the phone is not functional for me.

There is NO snooze on the iPhone calendar alarms, ONLY the alarm clock function which is supposed to "Wake you up" in the morning.

I was referring to the CALENDAR ALARMS, not the alarm clock for those who are confused and insist that the iPhone does have snooze.

DUH!

I'm not a fanboy, i've just ever owned a Blackberry (all my previous phones were cheapo phones you'd get for free to extend your contract) so I have never had an alarm that could start a phone from being completely off.

Turn off your tool switches.

clhs

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
I love my iPhone but the fact I can't turn it off if an alarm is set (and the phone still sound the alarm at the chosen hour) is just a hideous irritation. Like most people on here, I've owned countless phones before that had this functionality.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of thing we might expect to be corrected in future software updates?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I love my iPhone but the fact I can't turn it off if an alarm is set (and the phone still sound the alarm at the chosen hour) is just a hideous irritation. Like most people on here, I've owned countless phones before that had this functionality.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of thing we might expect to be corrected in future software updates?

I have to wonder if these other phones are completely 'off' when they startup on an alarm. It almost sounds like they are in a low power sleep mode instead of 'off'.

The only other option would be the clock has a way to keep track of alarm times and power up the phoen whne hte alarm time comes.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I've had phones that do this and they annoyed the hell out of me - I very rarely turn my phone off and if I do it's because I want it off until I turn it back on.

As a slight aside, what do you do in this situation if you turn your phone off before boarding a flight and an alarm goes off that turns your phone back on? I've been on flights that won't allow phones to be turned on at all, even in flight mode, and in those circumstances, I'd be pretty annoyed if my phone woke up and started sounding an alarm half way across the atlantic!

Other similar areas of concern would be theatres, cinemas, etc, etc - when I turn my iPhone off in those places I know it will stay off, not turn itself back on and annoy people sitting next to me

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I can honestly say I've never had a phone thats able to turn itself on when I've set an alarm.
I don't switch my phone off so its not an issue for me.

clhs

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
I've had phones that do this and they annoyed the hell out of me - I very rarely turn my phone off and if I do it's because I want it off until I turn it back on.

As a slight aside, what do you do in this situation if you turn your phone off before boarding a flight and an alarm goes off that turns your phone back on? I've been on flights that won't allow phones to be turned on at all, even in flight mode, and in those circumstances, I'd be pretty annoyed if my phone woke up and started sounding an alarm half way across the atlantic!

Other similar areas of concern would be theatres, cinemas, etc, etc - when I turn my iPhone off in those places I know it will stay off, not turn itself back on and annoy people sitting next to me

I never set my alarm for a time when I'd be on a flight, rather I want to be woken up at, say, 7:00am, which is when I'd set the alarm for.

The other phones are definitely turned off properly, I've never really had a problem turning phones off to be honest. Those that I've had that have this function lacking in my iphone are the Blackberry Pearl, Nokia N95, Nokia N73, Samsung (not sure of the model, the one that looks like a calculator), the Nokia N70, the Nokia 6230... I've had 23 phones in ten years, byt the iPhone is the first one not to have this feature, annoyingly.

clhs

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
I can honestly say I've never had a phone thats able to turn itself on when I've set an alarm.
I don't switch my phone off so its not an issue for me.

You have obviously never had a Nokia then.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
The iPhone has a "sleep" mode, which is like being turned off, but, not quite. So, the iPhone has three states: Off, Sleep, On.

Do other smart phones have a sleep feature, too, or just On and Off?

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007

Your "mobiles" never actually turned off. iPhone has a sleep and an actual power down. If your alarm works, then it is not fully powered down. Why the heck does anyone want to power off the phone fully? If you have an alarm set, but don't want to recieve calls, then put it in airplane mode.

Seems to me that some people just want what they understand as the norm instead of a more varient alternative i.e. this phone can sleep AND fully power down without removing the battery.

Full disclosure - The alarm app could use some redesign. Surprised there aren't some apps for this. I once saw a mock up of an iPhone alarm that would require you to do a quick puzzle to get it to turn off.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
You have obviously never had a Nokia then.

get a clue. If your battery is in your nokia, it isn't off. As a matter of fact, your visible on the network if your battery is in, no matter what "state" you think your phone is in. iPhone is the only GSM phone I'm aware of that can truly power down with the battery installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.