Does anxiety ever completely go away?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, May 31, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

As some of you may remember, I was having serious problems with this two-three years ago.

I went to a therapist and got it fixed for the most part. Well just starting now, it is coming back full swing, I don't know the reason. Whenever I think of this girl I hung out with at my lake I start having panic attacks, even though when I was with her I was completely comfortable.

So my question is this; is it ever possible to rid yourself of these problems if they are genetic? My mother and grandmother both have similar problems as mine.

2. kalsta, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Someone in my family suffers from panic attacks too, and shares a similar experience to yours — they can go through long periods of doing well, and then go through a really bad patch again. It's a terrible thing to have to go through, and no doubt impossible to really explain to someone who has never experienced such a thing.

I'm no expert on these things, but with my family member, it does seem to me that there is a correlation between external pressures and stresses and the likelihood of these attacks. Don't let go of the hope you felt when you were doing well. Logically, if you were able to experience some freedom from this before, there's no reason why you shouldn't expect to again. It might just be a one step back, two steps forward kind of thing.

This girl you mentioned… If she is someone you are attracted to, it can be pretty normal to experience a certain amount of stress or anxiety. It's related to wanting to impress that person, and the fear of doing the opposite — a performance anxiety, like people experience when having to speak in public. I think the best advice I could offer in relation to this, is to completely disarm it by being honest with the girl. If there's to be any kind of lasting relationship (be it a close friendship or something more), it has to be based on honesty, and she'll have to be accepting of what you're struggling with. Who knows, it might even give you something to talk about! Anyway, whether you feel comfortable talking about it openly at this stage or not, the important thing is that you're comfortable just being yourself, which removes the pressure of trying to perform.

I certainly wish you all the best.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not an expert on this but am curious, if this is a girl you are still involved with? I imagine a therapist might try to help you develop a systematic way to recognize the symptoms and a tool chest of mental exercises to help these feelings subside.

If you feel like talking about it, and it is something that can be put into words, what kind of anxiety do you have? Can the source of the panic be identified? What are you worried might happen?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had a single, but powerful panic attack when I was 18. Then a sustained period of anxiety in 2008, maybe? Totally over it now. So over it I can't believe it happened in the first place.

But yeah it can go away. Will it go away forever? Who knows. But right now even the most stressful, worrisome things don't get to me. That's what having anxiety taught me. I'm actually really glad it did happen to me because it really pushed me forward.

5. elizabethjane macrumors member

elizabethjane

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You cannot wish them away, and no, you are not a freak.

Serotonin re-uptake in the brain differs individually. Normally it is within acceptable limits, but sometimes there is too much loss.

Several members of my family are finally on a SSRI, to give them a level playing field.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've never experienced a panic attack. Do you remember what you were concerned about? Was there any kind of a logical basis for this feeling or was it completely baseless, it just happened and you don't have a clue why?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My first one was spontaneous. Just a regular day in college and the attack was completely out of the blue. (at the time) I had good friends, good family, college was going great, no stress or worry. *shrugs!*
    My second bout was a health concern but that faded away. Even though I was told by doctors and consultants I was fine - I didn't believe them. Just a bit stupid, aye!

The docs gave me some beta blockers to calm my heart down, but I never took them because I thought I should fight this on its own. And I won.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no it never goes away. You always struggle with it. It comes and goes.

I suffer from anxiety and depression and I will go threw months of everything is great then boom it is hell all at once with no real rime or reason. It just goes.

I been on meds for over the past year to help manage mine and I still have to struggle with it from time to time. Gets worse at the end of semester when I have more free time.

10. TSE, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I was diagnosed with just Panic Disorder.

It was a girl I liked and still like, I just met, got to know a little, and flirted with for the night.

I don't know why I was nervous, and why I still kind of am. I think it might be a combination of school ending, my calculus final not looking so good, and the fact that not many girls have showed interest in me because I go to a small school.

I am thinking of going to my old therapist, but I don't know what more he can do.