Does anybody NOT have a case/cover for the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by theman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I am just about to buy the touch (FINALLY), and I just want to know if there's anyone that does NOT have some sort of protective cover or case or sleeve for theirs. I really would rather not have one, because frankly, putting a case on it makes it look ugly, and not how it's designed to be. I want it to be small, sleek and shiny. Anyways, would it be a bad idea not to have one? I know the screen isn't easily scratched, but I hear the back is. Does that really matter so much? If I just keep it in my pocket, or set it down on a table occasionally will it get noticeably scratched?

If I NEED a cover, what is the most minimalist, but also functional and not annoying product?

thanks.

2. jvance macrumors newbie

I felt the same way when I first got my touch. For about a week I didn't use anything to protect it, I just left it in my pocket by itself. Over time, however, I noticed lots of small scratches appearing on the back. So I came up with the perfect solution for my needs. Whenever my iPod is not in use I store it in my Oakley sunglass bag. It is the perfect size and it is also useful for cleaning fingerprints off of the iPod.

3. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I don't have one, and I carry it in my front pocket nearly everyday. I try to make a conscious effort to not throw my keys or change in the same pocket, but occasionally forget. The back side chrome looks pretty scratched (but what iPod's doesn't?), but the glass looks practically the same as it did the day it came out of the box.
    I am of the opinion that it is a tool, and when tools get used they show some signs of wear. I will not treat it with neglect that will lead to breakage, but I will also not attempt to protect it from nature in an attempt to keep it looking like a showpiece.

My 2¢

4. aft macrumors regular

If you're picky about the scatches on the back buy an extra screen protector and throw it on the back, my brother did it and it is nice. my back is already shot and has been since week 2 so I just use the iPod socks (get the Samsonite ones at Wal-Mart for $5 instead of the $30 apple ones) They are a little short but I think they do the job.

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I got a sorta velvet slip bag for mine and keep it in that when not in use, I don't like cases/covers either, but you really don't notice this one and it still does a decent job of keeping the back shiny :) Shiny, not perfect or anything, just shiny.

I think the rubber/plastic/neoprene cases are goofy.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I am posting this from my new iPod touch! I decided not to get a case - firstly I think its designed to be small - I don't want to make it bigger! 2nd it looks beautiful - I don't want to cover it up. Why cover it up? If u keep it in perfect nick with a cover, u dont get to see it in all its beauty. I guess u can keep its value better for resale. Having said - that I have an iPod sock which I pop the touch in whilst its in my coat.

8. mikelcroft macrumors regular

I don't use a cover with mine... but it's starting to get scratches on the back... and I'm VERRRRRYYYY careful with it... lol, so now I'm looking around for some kind of protection now.

9. Windleaf2 macrumors newbie

I have a case on mine and enjoy it even more with it on. Finding the right case to suit your lifestyle will take some googling. The majority of cases for the touch allow you to scyn/charge while in the case.

Having a $400 (16gig) toy such as this merits being protected somewhat.

10. chall5 macrumors regular

what he said ...exactly

11. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I say go for the iPod socks. When the iPod is in your pocket, it is in its sock, when the iPod in out of your pocket, it is out of its sock.
    And yes, I do mean the official Apple ones, because they are better quality, better looking, and they have an Apple logo on them.

12. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have a protector sheet from Belkin that covers the screen, and I bought an IClear from Griffen. The IClear adds very little to the size of the Touch and I feel good about protecting it.

Down the road when a new generation comes out I would like to sell my current Touch to do a technology refresh, and if it's in good shape it'll be easier to sell..and for a few more dollars. I typically do this with my digital cameras too.

13. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

The Agent 18 Eco case is minimally intrusive and only adds a little weight/bulk to the Touch. It looks good and allows you to sync without removing the case (even if you use a universal dock thingy).

If you're set against a case, there's always the plastic sheet shield type things at the Apple Store and elsewhere.

14. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

My iPod socks don't have a logo on them. I got them at Apple online. Maybe it was on the package? I don't remember, it was so long ago. The logo is knitted into the socks now?

15. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think about the iSkin touch? i've been doing some googling and it looks pretty good. i will look into the socks too. but hey, i know some people who can knit, maybe they can just make me an ipod sock... doesn't really seem worth $30.

16. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I don't use a case with mine and it's fine. The screen is perfect and the back is only slightly scratched (I'm not anal about protecting it either, just through it in my pocket on it's own and the occasional tissue). One thing I would say though is that some dirt can get in between the screen and the black band around the edge so try not to get it too dusty.

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

[​IMG]

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Mine is running completely bare, and I have not had any problems whatsoever. The screen doesn't get scratched at all, and if you take the polishing cloth that came with it to the screen once a night, then you will be fine.

19. nintapple macrumors member

without a case, the gap between the front bezel and the screen is open. any crumbs or dust can get in that tiny little gap. in addition, the back scratches just like any other ipod without a case. i highly recommend a case.

a clear one might be good for you.. like the DLO videoshell

20. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

seconded... If that's a word. I've been using the iPod sock since my first iPod and I will continue to do so.

22. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Of course
    It may look a little odd; would do the job though

24. rascal2u macrumors member

--completely agree with nintapple!

The clear DLO shell doesn't camoflage the Touch's sleek looks, and more importantly, when gravity becomes your enemy and the Touch drops to a hard concrete floor, the case completely absorbs the shock and keeps the back scratch free and the front shatterproof.:cool:

25. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

iPod sock off-brand at Wal-Mart. I think it's belkin. Same exact color scheme and dimension as iPod branded socks, but $5 instead of $28. And you get 6 in a pack, I think. It's what I used for three months, then upgraded to the DLO case that I use now.

Recommend the latter especially, but socks will help you make do.