Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
i use the griffin convertible because it has a flap.

the body glove cover was very thin and open in the front.

it was my second choice and i gave it to mugf for hers because she did not want a cover.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I never had a case for any of my iPods, and having a glass front, it seems like this is the least scratchable at all. The chrome on the back? If you're really worried about that, I'd suggest you leave it on the desk.

Actually, that will probably scratch it too. :rolleyes:

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
any opinions on the iSkin touch?

If the current ones are anything like the two toned (it had two separate slip on bits, one was clearish and the other was coloured) one I got for my first gen nano, it was a total waste of money.

It had a sticky feel to it that collected lint and dirt, and less than 48 hours after putting it on it was filthy. Too much hassle to keep taking off/putting it on to wash it. I haven't tried their products since, so I don't know if the current versions are like that or not.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
--completely agree with nintapple!

The clear DLO shell doesn't camoflage the Touch's sleek looks, and more importantly, when gravity becomes your enemy and the Touch drops to a hard concrete floor, the case completely absorbs the shock and keeps the back scratch free and the front shatterproof.:cool:

i'm reading reviews of the DLO shell, it looks pretty good. how exactly does it absorb shock? it looks like it's just plastic? is there some rubbery material in there?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I've purchased 2 cases so far. The iClear case by Griffin and the rubber cover from Incase and although they're both stylish and fit nicely, I still find myself using it often without a case. The only time I put the cases back on is when I have a near-drop experience and it's kind of an eye-opener and I throw the case back on but, then a week later I'll start using it without one again... kinda pathetic... hehe.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
same experience here...i dropped mine the day after i got it but it fell onto my rug instead of wood floors so know i have a hard clear case that works great...i've dropped my touch on the pavement numerous times and it just seems to bounce off...no residual effects yet (knocks on wood)...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
same experience here...i dropped mine the day after i got it but it fell onto my rug instead of wood floors so know i have a hard clear case that works great...i've dropped my touch on the pavement numerous times and it just seems to bounce off...no residual effects yet (knocks on wood)...

You dropped it on the pavement with the case on or off?

Cool6324

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Raleigh, NC
A+ iSkin Touch

The iSkin Touch is a superior product in all aspects. The "skin" itself is a wonderful quality silicone product. As well, the screen protector works excellent, providing a great shield for the glass without sacrificing input. I purchased it based on the website's description and not on other users opinion. After purchasing I read the reviews which weren't great; thankfully I did it in that order, because I might not have ordered. You get exactly what you see on the website, I would recommend it to anyone. Lint is not an issue and I have the nighthawk color, which would be the most prone to collection. I keep my iPod in my coat pocket; you will only experience lint if you keep it in linty pockets. One the last note, it keeps the Touch protected well!

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
one complaint i've seen about the DLO shell is that it sticks up around the sides of the screen and inhibits the ability to "touch" the edges of the screen completely. Does the iskin do this? or is it much thinner?

the complaint i've heard about the iskin is that the screen cover only goes over the screen surface itself, so there is a small gap where particles can collect. true?

Cammunicator

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
After much agonizing about whether or not to get a case, I bought the Contour Showcase (http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcasetouch). I like having a belt clip, and this one pops on and off easily; it looks quite minimalist without the clip, too. Also provides good edge protection should you drop the Touch.

I also agonized over buying a screen protector and settled for a Belkin. It kinda sucks as it doesn't cover the entire front. I will get an Invisible Shield (http://www.invisibleshield.com/ipod/apple/ipod-touch.php) when I find a seller that stocks them.

Having said all that, though, I do agree that the Touch should be treated as a "tool" and be used pretty much as it comes. (I just like having a belt clip once in a while.)

martek54

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I use the case mate leather sleeve. I like the coverage and it can be synced inside the case. I also like the looks of some of the leather pouches made just for the touch I have seen on ebay.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
You dropped it on the pavement with the case on or off?

i dropped it when i had the Contour (i think that's the name) clear hard case ON...the case has scratched but has not cracked or anything. Obviously, i don't recommend trying this at home but at least it gives you some piece of mind for the 1 sec your touch is in freefall plummeting to the ground:)

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
I purchased it based on the website's description and not on other users opinion.

Whoa... do you work for iSkin?!

I'm sure a lot of companies would appreciate if more consumers would accept what they, the companies, claim rather than what people who bought the product and have to say about it.

seelab

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
The iSkin Touch is a superior product in all aspects. The "skin" itself is a wonderful quality silicone product. You get exactly what you see on the website, I would recommend it to anyone.

I wanted to buy the iSkin touch because it looked really great on their site (now I can see that their pictures are 3D computer images and not the real case) and then I saw this picture online: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/TheCos/iSkinTouchBottom.jpg
The iSkin looks horrible. Seems like it's a dust magnet and it looks badly manufactured. So I'm still looking for a good looking/quality case.

joeliethegoalie

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
boulder,co
I've been case-free since I got my touch back in September. The back is scratched all to hell but the screen is good as new. I keep it in my front pocket when I'm out and about.

If you do end up buying a case, I highly recommend going to an Apple store or some other retailer and trying them out before purchasing. I wanted to get one (to protect against drops) but after checking them all out at the Apple store (the clerk was thrilled to assist w/that :rolleyes:), I passed. For the price ($30ish), they all seemed like crap to me.

I've been tempted to buy a rubber or silicon case like I had for my old pod. But it really bulks the Touch up and makes it very "grabby" when moving it in/out of my pocket. Until the perfect case comes along, my Touch remains naked as the day it was born (or something like that).

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
i don't use protection (on my touch)!

i just keep it in my pocket by itself.

and i have a little quest/experiment type thing going on with the silver side. i want to see just just how scratched it will get even when i'm very careful whenever i put it down. every so often i'll look at the silver side and say, "gee...how'd that scratch get there?" it's fun.:p

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
if you're worried about scratches on the back, can't you just set it down on the front?

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
I have an anti-glare screen protector from Apple (I DO NOT recommend buying this because at the Apple store, one anti-glare film costs $15 and a Target you can just get regular ones for $5 and get 10 of them!) and a Griffin leather-like case. It's a pretty good setup...

I would definitely suggest buying a screen protector if nothing else though. My screen got scratched... pissed me off like hell...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I have an anti-glare screen protector from Apple (I DO NOT recommend buying this because at the Apple store, one anti-glare film costs $15 and a Target you can just get regular ones for $5 and get 10 of them!) and a Griffin leather-like case. It's a pretty good setup...

I would definitely suggest buying a screen protector if nothing else though. My screen got scratched... pissed me off like hell...

I tried the anti-glare screen protector from Apple and I didn't like how it made my screen look fuzzy or shimmery or frosted or whatever you call that effect.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007

how exactly did you scratch your screen?

i have seen videos of people taking razor blades to their screens and not scratching...

Cool6324

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I wanted to buy the iSkin touch because it looked really great on their site (now I can see that their pictures are 3D computer images and not the real case) and then I saw this picture online: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/TheCos/iSkinTouchBottom.jpg
The iSkin looks horrible. Seems like it's a dust magnet and it looks badly manufactured. So I'm still looking for a good looking/quality case.

That is the exact reference I was speaking about when I meant "users opinion," I saw that image on the ipodlounge forum I believe. It does the skin no justice, mine does not get linty like that. I don't work for iSkin, I just really like the product because it works well. I will find my digicam and post pictures a little later. I actually have the same color scheme skin as the one posted above.

Cool6324

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Raleigh, NC
IMAGE_008.jpg

IMAGE_010.jpg

IMAGE_001.jpg

IMAGE_002.jpg

Like I said before I don't experience any lint. When I use my touch is goes into my coat pocket which is lined with a nylon material. Sometimes I use it in a lower coat pocket which is lined with a suede like material. And to be honest if it did get linty, why would you care? The ipod is being protected, that's all that matters to me. Also the included screen protector is on the touch, it looks as if nothing is covering the glass when it fully protected. The skin does not prohibit you from using any part of the screen; typing is awesome with the screen protector. Also my favorite feature is the overlay to the home button which protects it, I haven't seen another skin do this. If you're wondering the belt clip is removable. Feel free to post any more questions as I will be happy to share my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.