does anybody NOT open apps this way?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Jul 27, 2011.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

By far the best way to do it. I have CMD+space set to open spotlight. Hit that, type the first two (maybe 3) letters of the app name, hit enter. boom. app open in <2 seconds. I watched someone using a mac today actually open the Applications folder and browse to their app. waste of time.

2. MacDawg, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone has their own workflow
    I have my apps on the dock... one click, boom, app open
    Why waste the time for CMD+space and typing three letters and enter? Waste of time

3. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

your way:

photoshop have to type photosh
    after effects never is first choice
    Flash CS5 never is first choice
    lightroom 3 have to type lig
    premier have to type prem

so while many applications do come up in a few keystrokes, for many of my most used applications it either doesn't work at all or takes many keystrokes, plus constantly having to visually verify in an ever updating list that the right app is being chosen. Or I can just use launchpad or the dock and do it in a single click and absolutely know it is going to work.

computers should be flexible to accommodate what each person thinks there best workflow id.

4. Robo6675 macrumors newbie

That's by far the fastest way to do. Assuming it's not in your dock and that your not one of those people that has every single app in the dock already...that drives me NUTS to see that.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I put apps I use regularly in the dock; this is a one click operation.
    Never bother with spotlight, period.

6. Contiguous macrumors member

Doesn't anybody use Quicksilver anymore? What a beautiful program. I used it before upgrading to Leopard and found Spotlight to be very disappointing in comparison.

7. jbjones85 macrumors member

I use a combimation of QuickSilver and the dock.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Me! Never have used that method, not even once.

#1 use of Mac is for internet. Safari opens when I boot up. Firefox is in the Dock.

#2 use is spreadsheets. Excel opens when I find the file I want to open and double-click it. (Same with Word, which I use far less frequently.)

Other things I use often are in the Dock also. But for some, I use the "old-fashioned" alias on the Desktop. And for a few, I have both.

I don't recall ever opening any other applications.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

So basically, you have to hit a total of 4 or 5 buttons to open an app someone else can open with 2 mouse clicks? You're really saving time there! ;)

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use spotlight and the first few characters of the app I want to run. After a fresh OS install or upgrade, that method doesn't work until spotlight finishes indexing so I'm forced to poke around in the dock or applications folder. Bummer. I think this comes down to being more comfortable with graphical or keyboard oriented workflow. I'm more comfortable with the latter and launch terminal from time to time "for old time's sake."

11. simsaladimbamba

I use Alfred, as I am more of a keyboard user.
    I rarely use the Dock, only in Lion, as it is faster than Mission Control, but in SL, Spaces and Exposé are faster.

12. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Also an Alfred user here. Love it

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I use the dock because my hand is already on the mouse. Having to move my hands to the keyboard wastes time if that's where your hands are. The dock is faster than the keyboard for me.

But for the 10% of the time I need something that's not on the dock then, yes, I use Spotlight as my backup method.

14. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I love spotlight and use it all the time. But sometimes it has trouble and hangs on surprisingly simple searches that match exact application/document names.

15. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

dock = waste of screen space

besides, i can type a lot faster than i can move my mouse across the screen and click.

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That's why Apple lets you hide it when you don't need it. :D

That's assuming your hands are on the keyboard.

These "My way is better!" threads crack me up. :D

17. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

pretty sure it is quicker to have the app auto start at startup. Turn computer on, mail opens, ical opens and some other stuff opens too.

18. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Meh, I prefer not to have all that many apps on my dock. So yeah, I do use cmd+space frequently, though it's become somewhat of an automatism already I don't even notice myself doing it anymore.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, I use QS. Spotlight kind of sucks in comparison

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't use Spotlight to launch stuff - in fact, I find myself all too often invoking Spotlight accidentally.

21. Modernape macrumors regular

I have Firefox, Thunderbird, iCal, openoffice, and itunes all open on start-up, I've got enough RAM, and they're all in appropriate Spaces. Anything else is just 2 clicks away via the App folder on the dock.

22. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The apps I use most frequently are in the dock and that is how I access/open them. Other apps that I don't use as often are easily accessed by taking a look at my apps folder. No big deal......

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You guys are all missing the point. OP's way is obviously best, and s/he is super smart for figuring it out.

24. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Alfred and some Launchpad when my hands are not in the keyboard.
    I only use the Dock as a switch between active apps.

I also use some gestures, like 4 finger click launches Chrome and 4 finger click while holding Fn key opens a Finder window, and some shortcuts like Cmd + m = Open Mail.app

25. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Alfred here too, though I have my most commonly used apps in the dock as well cuz it simply looks cool to me. yeah, I know.... Hahahaha