Does anybody use just a smart cover these days?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Nov 16, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just wondering to those who have one do you still cover the back? for example with the new cases or a case to just put on the back?

I have been using my air 2 at home recently with just the smart cover as I just love the feel without the extra bulk. Of course this is only at home. For my mini 4 the back and front is protected

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just the smart cover since the iPad Air 1.

3. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I do, I can't stand back covers, I just wish Apple had released more smart cover colors of them for the iPP. White is nice but Blue, Green, White and Red, would have been better. :)

Kal.

4. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Yep, my Air only has a smart cover, so does my mini. And the iPad Pro will as well when it gets delivered.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Just the Smart Cover since the iPad 2; I have one on my iPP which will be replaced with the smart keyboard when it finally arrives next month. I've never much worried about covering the back; whether opened or closed I always lay it down on the cover so it's not touching any hard/abrasive surfaces. Has worked out pretty well for me!

6. biosci macrumors 6502a

I used to go bare back but since this new iPad Mini 4 and now my iPad Pro, I think I do like the silicone back. I like to protect the back when I'm setting the iPad down on a table, countertop etc. You never know what particles, liquids, food crumbs (countertop) there is on the surface to get on your iPad. Plus, if you just put the Smart Cover back by folding it over, the thing I've always hated was that you get the nice soft part of the cover that touches your screen in contact with said surface... Ugh..

7. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm currently using the smart cover instead of the type cover for the Ipad Pro and I prefer the smart cover.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Only use the Smart Cover. Protection when carrying around the house or in a bag. But when I sit and start using the iPad I take the cover off (love that magnetic grip) and use the iPad by itself.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I always go naked on my iStuff, the one exception being the Smart Cover purely because it's indispensably functional as a typing stand!

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Just a smart cover on my Mini 4. I've never been one for more than minimal protection.

11. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I've always used only SmartCover on the front, since iPad 2. In the past, I've also put a DecalGirl type of "sticker" on the back, just to protect it from scratches.

I have a gold LTE Pro now with white SmartCover, and so far haven't put anything on the back because it's too pretty. Aside from a tempered glass protector on the front... because maybe one day I'll have Unicorn Pencil (TM), I think I'll keep the back naked.

12. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I'm right with you, 161.

I'm just about to switch from an Air 2 to a mini 3 and a Pro, though, and I might depart from that for the first time. The mini is going to be my main away-from-home device, so I hunted for a good deal on my first Smart Case. And the Pro may never leave home, so I'm going to try a period just using it with simple stands before even going for a cover.

13. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

I cover both sides. Why? Because I just traded in my Air2 to Amazon. Just like new got me $415 compared to next level down $346. 70 bucks more.

14. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

Was the price of your cover over $70?

15. joefrank64k macrumors regular

Only a Smart Cover on my Air, Air 2, and Pro...like the minimalist feel.

16. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

i'm actually been tempted to use the mini 4 with just a smart cover but seeing as it goes in my bag when i go out and about i don't want the back to get scratched.

17. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

You could do what I did with my mini2. Use a Smart Cover for everyday use, and buy a sleeve from Amazon (usually like $10-$15 bucks shipped) when the need arises to carry it in a bag.

18. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

Always only had Smart Cover since the original iPad. I don't like to cover the back. I think it makes the iPad too bulky.

19. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

415-346=$69

isn't that less than what you paid for the back cover ($79)?

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You could get one of those neoprene slips to put it in when it goes into your back. I did that with my original iPad mini and used a Smart Cover for the front.

I've tried lots of different cases for my iPads but I think the best has been the apple smart cases as they offer all round protection.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I like and purchased Apple black silicone covers for the back and the front. No need for the keyboard as it will be mostly a lap device but still want to cover the screen while it is on the table next to my chair.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I mostly go with just a smart cover and clear contact paper on the back... (carefully trimmed to the "flat" part) partially to protect it from scratches, partially to assist with grip. The contact paper is thin enough that it doesn't impede the use of ultra formfitting cases like the Fintie.

23. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

I've used fully encased options since they were available for my iPads (1, 3, Air 1 and now Pro). I use mine in work meetings so it gets out an about a lot.

I have cases in my phones, too, as once I dropped my iPhone 5 on the first day of having it... It bounced with just a minor ding, but it was a hart stopping moment!

24. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Same here, but I want to be able to move the iPad onto table tops, floors, etc. I do not like scratches. And the smooth back feels nice, but it's not functional. The smart cover helps with grip. Those are the only two reasons. If it wouldn't scratch so quick with a bit of sand or whatever is on the floor, table tops, etc, I would probably not use a cover at all.
    I am actually considering to remove the smart cover and replace it with a transparent cover that provides a bit of grip - just for the back. BUt I just dont want to spend another 25+ euro on it.

25. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

Just a smart cover for me. However, I have a sleeve for the iPad Air for when I travel. If I decide to take the Pro when I travel (still undecided due to the weight) I'll get a padded carry sleeve.