Does anyone actually buy movies from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kendo, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm considering buying HD movies from iTunes instead of Blu-ray because it allows me to store everything on my computer instead of having to worry about physical media. I live in NYC so space in apartments is limited.

I am hesitant because it is an expensive proposition. Who uses iTunes to buy or even rent movies on a daily basis? Do you find the 720p quality acceptable? I heard rumors that they are going to increase it to 1080p but that is a little scary because if I buy the movie now and they upgrade later, won't they charge more? The same happened with iTunes when they upgraded their tunes from 128kbps to 256kbps and charged $.30 extra for each song you wanted to upgrade.

Yes I am aware of torrenting movies but I'm contemplating being a straight shooter and renting or buying from now on.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I rent movies on occasion from iTunes, but never have and probably never will buy a movie. I have Netflix and can get most of what I want to watch on that.

3. wirawee macrumors member

I do the periodic renting from iTunes. To my eyes, you're definitely not going to get the picture quality that you get out of a nice BluRay. I do it more for the convenience factor than anything.

The one thing I have bought off of iTunes is tv series that aren't available on Netflix. But, again, my interest is primarily convenience and I'm not too worried about the picture quality for a sitcom (Cougartown) or a show that was originally aired in standard def (The Wire).

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have purchased a few movies on iTunes. I don't buy many movies, but usually buy them from iTunes when I do.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

6. szolr macrumors 6502

I have bought a few films from iTunes in the past. But once I realised how easy it was to rip DVDs I've bought I've taken to doing that. I store them all in my iTunes library and can stream them to the :apple:TV2. Great solution I think!

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Blue ray movies have much better quality, IMO. Otherwise I would buy from iTunes.

8. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Never have, probably never will. The only thing I buy off iTunes is iPhone apps, and I buy a lot of those.

9. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I would never buy a movie from iTunes that isn't HD, for one. SD quality on iTunes is inferior to DVD.

A few weeks ago I wanted the film In A Better World, and physically they've only released a blu-ray/dvd combo, which is close to $30, so I bought the HD film on iTunes instead for $19.99. Definitely the better choice.

So, once in a while. Very rarely.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought about 40 HD movies over the past four months. I too would rather have them stored on my computer than having actual discs. I don't have an HD TV or a Blu-ray player and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. I like sitting down or laying down and watching my HD shows and movies comfortably on my MBP.

11. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

No, the pricing is too high. I'd rather own the blu-ray disc.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes i have bought a few on there too, along with the tv shows. I rarely get stuff now, rather get it on Blue ray

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've purchased some movies, mostly to watch on my iPad as my family and I travel. Something to entertain my children.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

I rent off iTunes once in a while...in fact I just rented Super 8 about 10 minutes ago.

I usually rent in SD...I rented in HD once just to see if it was any better and maybe it's just me, but I saw absolutely no difference in quality on my 15" MBP...maybe it's just me, but neither of them looked any better than a regular DVD played on the MBP, which isn't as nice as a DVD played on a TV.

*shrug*

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I rent only. Space isn't the issue for me, theres just too many variables that wreck physical media in my house (Pets and kids) :eek:

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I only rent movies to watch on my iPad when I'm traveling. Otherwise its netflix or blockbuster.

17. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The same. If there was by chance something I couldn't find elsewhere like an old movie or show. Possibly, otherwise no.

19. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I use my apple TV to rent movies occasionally (like once a month or so). I don't watch many movies in the first place so I cancelled my netflix and just rent from iTunes when I feel like watching something

20. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Until the DRM is removed, and movies gets included in iTunes in the Cloud, no.

22. appleamg macrumors newbie

Why spend money on movies when I can go to the cinema or download them for free :D ? But this is coming from a person who doesn't like the idea paying for music and movies when he can get it for free .

23. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I only purchase those 4.99 movies that they change up every week or so. Will occasionally rent on there.

But, I do really enjoy buying Blu-ray's with digital copies attached to them that are straight from iTune's. Very nice to be able to just fire up the Apple TV and have everything just a click away instead of having physical media. Of course, there are some movies that really do look a lot better on Blu-ray.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

25. nouveau macrumors member

I, like others, prefer physical media, so I rent from RedBox