Does anyone actually launch Apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mbaturin, Oct 23, 2015.

1. mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

One of the things that got me most excited for buying the Apple Watch was the demos of the apps. I've had my 42MM Stainless Apple Watch since launch day. While I love how it looks and the notifications it gives me, other than the occasional glance use, I almost NEVER delve deeper into the Apple Watches functionality, specifically, the App screen.

I'm curious if anyone here does frequently launch one or even a lot of apps, and if so - what is your use case for doing so? Can you give me some examples where you look at your watch, access your apps, launch one, and use it? My struggle here is that I love the looks and notifications, but the functionality in my use cases so far haven't been much more than when I used my Pebble.

I'm wondering if I am just missing something and not using the watch to it's full potential for that reason.

2. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Nope, I agree with you. All of the apps on the watch are more cumbersome to use than just taking my phone out of my pocket.

3. testcard, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Very rarely, apart from trying to open TripCase to see if it still crashes. And it still does.

4. mbaturin thread starter macrumors regular

mbaturin

Bummer - I am really hoping to hear some good use cases of folks who access their app screen and apps often.

5. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

My most-used apps on the watch are Messages, Dark Sky/Weather, Activity, and Swarm. In all of those cases, it's because I don't feel like pulling out my phone or it's in another room.

Dark Sky's complication and the app itself have been on the fritz for me today so I'm trying out CARROT Weather at the moment. Having quick weather information on my wrist is quite convenient, and I do delve into the apps as needed (usually when there's imminent rain or inclement weather).

6. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

My most used apps are Messages, Outlook, Twitterific, UBank, TuneIn and Music, all used multiple times a day. It's getting cold here in Dublin and being able to do all of the above while out walking or on transit etc and taking my iPhone out, is a joy.

I'm going to Rome next week for the weekend and can't wait to use Maps to help find my way around as well as a glorious little travel app I purchased that has POI's and a Metro map that I can use to explore the side streets while my 6s plus is snug in my pocket.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I go to the app screen to launch the Workout app. Also, some of my not-so frequently used apps, like Shazam, I start from the app screen. My most frequently used apps, I put in Glances, and start them from there.

8. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

The apps I launch most often are Fantastical (calendar) and Carrot Weather. Fortunately these both offer complications, so I usually launch them from the watch face complication when I want more detail.

I also have some apps I launch only when I get a notification. An example is my reminder app: Due.

Then there are apps I launch from the Glance view for that app. Those include the same apps I already mentioned for complications (I use their glances when I am using a watch face without complications). I have a few other glances as well like the activity rings.

The apps that I actually go to the app screen to launch are the apps that I don't access every day from my watch, but I do find them to be very convenient when I need them. These include:
    • Bring - the grocery list app I share with my wife. This is one of my favorite watch apps, but not one I use so often that I need to have it as a complication or glance.
    • Swipes (my task list) I usually access this from my iPhone or computer web browser, but it's handy to have on the watch when I need it.
    • Outlook - so I can take a quick peek at my work email
    • Yammer - so I can catch up on Yammer posts at work if I'm just standing in line somewhere
    • OneNote - handy when I need to refer to a recent note while on the go
    • Maps
    • Tide Charts

I arranged these favorite apps so their icons will be the larger icons on the watch app screen. That makes it easy for me to hit them without scrolling around (although the animation as you move around the app screen is pretty cool).

9. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

I add tasks with Clear, set "Pomodoros" with the Focus app, and use Just Press Record to record quick voice memos. I also set the Timer multiple times a day. These are all accessed with Force Touch from Glances so I don't have to take the time to go to the App screen.

I do use the App screen to access the Music app to change my music source/select a playlist (playback being access via Glances), I use Settings to pair or unpair Bluetooth headphones and I use the Wallet app to pay at Starbucks.

10. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Getting some great tips here for apps I didn't know about!

11. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

Don't I know you from somewhere? #eic

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Your experience is exactly the same as the experience I had. After playing with the watch for a few days and identifying first hand exactly what it was about I found it simply wasn't for me.

That's not saying it's bad, cause it's great for gadget lovers and those who love to tinker constantly. But when one is focused on what it can do for you, then it's a different matter.

13. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I just tried opening TripCase and it loaded fine.

14. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

It's never worked for me on Watch - but fine on iPhone.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can access the Timer from a Glance? How? I've been looking for a way to access the timer faster, and haven't found a way, other than from a complication -- and the watch face I like best doesn't allow complications.

16. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

17. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

The timer is a complication I usually have on my watch face. I would ask Siri to set a timer, but this usually draws too much attention. At work my coworkers will say, "Dude, are you talking to your watch AGAIN?" At home my kids will come running to see what I just asked Siri to do. :rolleyes:

18. TasheRAWR macrumors regular

TasheRAWR

The apps I use most are mainly checking my NatWest account, using iMessage or now Messenger. I check out Twitter quite a bit and due to using public transport I've found quickly using the Trainline and Bus Checker apps very useful too :)

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Never do, which is why I always tell people to try a pebble and see if they like a smart watch. IMO, they are better served as a notification device

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I launch several apps - the most frequent being the workout app and sleep pulse but I try to use complications and glances for most items that I use daily (2DO, Fantastical, Drafts 4, Carrot, FitnessBuilder, Alarm, Timers, My Bank Balance, etc.

I find the apple watch third party apps incredibly fast - especially Drafts 4 which is quickly becoming my "killer" app as I touch the complication and it loads in half a second and it starts to record what I say and it makes it into text notes that i can then make into notes, todo's, reminders, tasks, lists, etc. It is great and worth the price.

I went from being an apple fan who wears watches to wearing the Apple Watch and recommending it to many and I emphasize the battery lasting two days as some have said "doesn't it go dead in half a day". So far, I have recommended to about 10 people and 6 have purchases.

21. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Sorry, my dyslexia kicked in. The timer is a Complication.

22. mbaturin thread starter macrumors regular

mbaturin

Good stuff everyone. I think it just depends on the individual and the use case. In my case 99% of the time accessing the app screen isn't necessary, and so I just don't.

23. friedmud macrumors 65816

I do.

In order

1. Dark Sky (usually from complication)
    2. Calendar (from complication)
    3. ETA (see how traffic is going for my commute - I use the complication too)
    4. Workout
    5. Music
    6. Bus Times (check when my bus will be here... usually multiple checks in the morning)
    7. Activity
    8. Messages
    9. Email (sometimes on the train it's more useful than getting out my phone)
    10. Hue (turn out my lights as I leave the house... it is kinda slow though)
    11. Kontrolln (Control my Nest)
    12. Twitter (actually works well during the commute)
    13. Tile (find my keys)
    14. Reminders Nano (shared grocery lists. I don't launch it all that often since I add stuff using Siri)
    15. Passbook (Starbucks card, LevelUp, concert tickets)

1-6 I use multiple times per day
    7-10 About once a day
    11-15 Maybe once a week

I have a few more apps... but I rarely use them...

24. ougum macrumors regular

I used to pull my phone out to check stock prices and check sport scores, now Ido it from my watch. ESPN and Carrot weather are my two most used apps. I hardly use the phone for Siri anymore. Just wish Siri had voice on the watch.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

i gave up on them. they are so slow to start and display keeps going back to sleep all the time. by the time i get my flight information on the watch i may have missed the flight already lol

it has become a watch and a expensive notification center for me basically. now that winter is coming up i am using it even less and less cuz my wrist is under the jaket obiously so i just take out my phone. getting the phone out is simply faster than trying to dig for my watch under all those layers