Does anyone actually use file vault in the security settings?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dragoro, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

2. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Apple Store geniuses turned on the FileVault when I sent in my MacBook Pro for repair to protect my privacy... The machine became much slower when it is turned on.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The overhead is minor and most people don't notice it, especially as time goes on, i.e., you get used to how it performs.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

well worth the small performance hit unless u don't care about what's in there at all

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For laptops its an absolute must. This is my first desktop, and I haven't enabled it yet, but I'll be moving in that direction shortly.

I have my tax information, and other financial info, that I'd rather not fall into someone's hands if my house is broken into.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First thing I do with any new Mac is enable FV2 encryption. There is a small speed hit, but on newer Macs, particularly those with flash storage, the difference is small. Here is a speed test.

Give it a shot and it you don't like it you can always just turn it back off.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Not using FileVault is madness. It's turned on everywhere, including on my Time Machine drive. With no delay noticeable anywhere. Of course if you like some burglar who steals your Mac to go through all your stuff, leave it off.

8. Coldmode macrumors regular

There is a little bit of a performance hit as the drive is encrypted because it happens in the background, but once it's done you'll find that the performance difference is negligible. I use it because I have a lot of work stuff on my machine.

9. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

I have to say I am surprised to see everyone is actually using it...

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Why not? it works very well, keeps you protected, and, despite your opinion, has a minor impact on performance - almost unnoticeable after the encryption is complete.
    Do you have a problem with filevault because you can't figure out how to break the encryption? :D

11. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

So..........just assuming here.........

If your computer was seized by the FBI as crime evidence you mean they couldn't get at any of your files if encrypted by FileVault?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That is
    To answer your question - Another question: Does the FBI (or NSA, etc) currently have the tools to either break, or bypass the encryption in FileVault2?...
    The current thinking (as I understand it) is that there is no "backdoor" into FileVault - and no "front door", without the FileVault password. If you can make your passcode more challenging, then that passcode or passphrase quickly becomes impractical to break.
    My understanding is that all assumes data that is important at a personal/small business level, and not necessarily at a government/top security level - you would likely be using higher level encryption solutions - which, I think, makes your question more of a philosophical exercise, like a "Can God make a rock so heavy that God can't lift it" question.

13. AsprineTm macrumors member

Hey, Aug 10 2011 called, they want their article back.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought there'd be a hit to the processor (as it's constantly encrypting/decrypting data going to/from the disk) but Activity Monitor (which I always run with the dock icon set to show the history) hasn't shown any noticeable impact.

15. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

This is an old report so I don't know the current situation...
    http://www.cnet.com/news/filevault-2-easily-decrypted-warns-passware/

16. intofx macrumors regular

it would never cross my mind to put performance over security on my computers. Unless its a dedicated machine with no sensitive info on it, then i can see a argument made. If performance is effected that much by the encryption its time for a new computer.

17. squidward macrumors newbie

FileVaut in my experience tends to wear out drives faster. Seen plenty of SSDs which were filled to the brim with data + FV2 enabled suffer data loss (SSD fails,bricks). Either way you should back up your information but FileVault may result in more wear. Seems to have gotten better with newer drives but either way, make sure you're backing up + encrypting your backup.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you have a better article with this information, or did you just pop in to criticize and make smart ass comments?

19. Weaselboy, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. UKgaryb, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

UKgaryb macrumors regular

First thing I do is enable FileVault, it's a no brainier especially on laptops. Full disk encryption should just be on by default. Original FileVault was a pig, especially on spinning disks, used to creAte a encrypted sparse bundle of your home folder and mount it on logon, these days it's full disk and seamless.

Typical apple style really, first gen gets a bad name and everyone writes it off, just like maps.

22. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Maps is actually usable now?

23. cynics macrumors G3

I'm with you brother! I'd make some Smith and Wesson reference if I could insure everyone would get the sarcasm.

24. UKgaryb macrumors regular

It has for most people since the beginning. I used it all the time when driving to/from Germany and also around Florida, Carolina's, Tennessee, Louisiana and Alabama last year. :) I find Google maps desktop website unusable now everything is hidden!

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, and its used more on the iPhone then Google's Maps app, so its come a long way.