All iPads Does anyone buy iPad at full retail price?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rockies, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Rockies macrumors 6502

I think it is crazy to pay full retail for the Ipad. I just do not see how they justify $600 for a 32 gb Ipad Air. I have always purchased on Black Friday to get the cost down as much as possible. Bought the Ipad Air 32gb this year on Black Friday and saved about $135 (net), making the cost around $465 which I think is what Apple should be charging in the first place.

2. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Well not everyday is Black Friday... 16GB iPad Air is priced just right I believe, but charging $100 for doubling storage is absurd... But that is Apple, they can charge you whatever hey want, yet they manged to sell it like a hot cake...

3. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Simply, I look at this way. The iPad is an absolutely incredible, breakthrough device. It's only three years old, mind you. It's in many ways an entire computer in this small, aluminum and glass slate. You can touch the screen and somehow miraculously directly manipulate what you're seeing. It's incredible.

If we don't take for granted for what it is, I truly believe it's worth the price.

Kind of like the argument of how the fax machine is still pretty darn impressive. We look at it like a relic but, if you think about it, it can send an image across the world in seconds. That's crazy.

Just my two cents.

----------

However I never said I don't agree with this, regarding storage prices.

4. Rockies thread starter macrumors 6502

Agree, I just bought a 16 GB memory card for my camera for $9

5. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

The god damn 32GB flash memory cost less than 20 dollar for Apple,must they charging $100 more from base price...this is absolutely crazy if you ask me.

I believe base model iPad mini is priced just right. The iPad air and iPad mini is absolutely the BEST tablet in the market right now. But if Apple could just lower to $50 additional cost for storage upgrade, I will certainly jump to 32GB... I am only buying 16GB, because I think charging $100 for storage upgrade is rip off

----------

You can not compare SD card with flash memory inside the iPad mini. Though they are using similar technology, but they're are not entirely the same ting. The current market price for SSD around $1 per GB. Even based on the current market price, 32GB should only sell for about $32. If you counting for mass production, the price should be lower. Yet Apple want $100'from you just for the extra 16GB of storage...it is absolutely crazy.

What even more crazy is hey charming same money for going 32GB to 64GB and from 64 GB to 128GB... Same price for 16GB increase and 32GB increase and 64GB increase. This does not even make sense

6. Locoman macrumors newbie

I did, to support my local Apple Store. I lived in a small town, in the middle of no where and I was glad they were they and they were more helpful then the sales persons at a local Big Box store.

7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i just bought my mini retina full price

even when i was working for apple, employee discount took ages to arrive and nobody ever waited months to get a new toy while selling it everyday

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I get mine on launch and really have no choice.

9. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I paid full price for a ipad air 64gb wifi. I was jonesin for it, so I am glad I got it on Nov. 1st.

However, I offset it by selling my ipad 4 for $425 the week before.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, yes. :confused: Almost everybody does. Apple didn't sell 200 MILLION iPads on Black Fridays only.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I value my time and would gladly pay an extra $135 not to have to fight the crowds on Black Friday.

12. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I bought my iPad Air for full price from my local Apple store on Nov 1st. Couldn't be bothered to wait weeks till Black Friday hoping I would find a decent discount.

Bought the retina mini with 10% discount last week from a supermarket? I wanted the Air a lot more than the new mini!

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

And not be trampled to death in the rush at the mall.

I much prefer to just go into the Apple store at an off-peak time and discuss options without hassle and then make a purchase. I live in Mass and won't even drive to New Hampshire to avoid the sales tax (which technically you are supposed to pay when you do your income tax, but no one really does).

Sales can be nice, but not the crazy ones. I won't even buy from the retailers like B&H..

14. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I managed to save $70 on the 128GB Air over the weekend at Best Buy. Had a 64GB, but for another $30 I got the big kahuna. :D

Here's my guess. Apple wants you to pay more than $499 for an iPad, but that entry price is the first thing people see. It's sort of like the base price on a new car. You can get it, but it won't be easy.

15. JSalig macrumors 6502

16. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I bought the 32GB iPad Air on Nov 7 with AppleCare+.
    $756 including tax.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

what do you pay full price for? bc maybe some of us don't on other things that you do!

counting a $100 target gift card doesn't count as savings unless you sell the gift card. otherwise you're just buying other crap on top of the ipad

18. JGWolven macrumors regular

Yeah. But that's $100 of free crap.

Anyways, I do pay the full price because I simply don't have the patience to wait for one day out of 365.

19. skillwill macrumors regular

Got my ipad Air 32gb wifi brand new from simplyelectronics.net for £400 ( the same price as a 16gb wifi is full price). Took 2 weeks to deliver but was worth it to save £79 and because it's an apple product it still comes with full apple warranty

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah but it didn't make his iPad any cheaper. so now it's pay iPad full price and spend $100 of stuff you don't need.

21. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Got my ipad air 16GB silver for $433.93 on black Friday. I also end up getting a $75 gift card for future purchase. How I got this deal. My brother in law doesn't like apple products. Every year at his job they raffle a $500 gift for thanksgiving. This year he won it. It was a $500 apple gift card. So he texted me if I wanted it for $400 cash and of course I said YES!!!!I Saved $100 and I still have a $75 gift card. I plan to hold on to it for the iPhone6 :D

22. RenoG macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same. Apple is not target.

23. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

24. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I work at Target.... i'd count it given all I buy there in a month! :p

25. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Yes, I also paid full price for my iPad 32GB Air and iPad 1. Interesting to see now the handful of outlets that are finally offering discounts though.

Still with all the QC issues and wanting a product right away I'd rather buy direct from Apple so I don't get a return/exchange runaround. Besides doesn't everyone know that Apple distributes all their questionable or defective units to other outlets? [JUST KIDDING!!] :D