iPhone X Does anyone else feel that they couldn't go back to a less than 6.5" screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ffosse, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

Ffosse macrumors 68000

After using the XS Max for 5 days now, I don't think I could deal with a smaller screen size. I can't believe that I used a 4.7" iPhone 8 for a year, although latterly I was squinting at it as I'm 52 and my eyes aren't what they were.

Let me explain a bit. When I bought the phone it came with a hard, see through plastic case which was very difficult to put on and take off. Good for protection, but it added a few mm all round and it was too uncomfortable to put my phone in and out of my jeans pocket. So I bought an official Apple leather case in forest green and those extra mm have all but disappeared, or at least been shaved off considerably. Now the phone is much more comfortable to use.

When I put the Max next to my Honor 10 the latter's 5.84" feels too small and I wonder how I managed before with my X. I was going to hold out for the iPhone XR but am so glad I splurged on the Max instead.

I do think 6.5 is the upper limit, though, and for me it is most definitely a 2 handed device. But I love watching YouTube, films and photos on that beautiful screen.

Compare this with years ago when many were saying that a 5" device was ridiculous - it's a sign of the times how far we've come in reducing/eliminating bezels and increasing the screen size.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...e-new-iphones-are-too-big-to-put-down/570118/

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I grabbed my girlfriends X for a few minutes and it did feel very small. I am not sure that I couldn't adjust back (I still think I will eventually), but right now the Max size feels right after a couple weeks of adjustment. I want to see what they do with iOS 13 before deciding on the 5.8 or 6.5 for next year.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I love the MAX screen but not sure about going bigger. Just right for me.

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Coming from the 8 Plus it's technically the same, only instead of a bezel I get edge to edge so the difference is negligible in the actual size.

5. Mackinjosh Suspended

No. The Max is a two handed device. A phone should be a one handed device.

6. Ffosse, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

The 8 Plus. I don't know how folk managed with those bezels, although the phone was notable for its battery life.

I had a 3.5" Orange San Francisco back in 2010 and I wonder how I managed. I think the truth is that screens that size were normal for the time and we didn't know any better. Playing around with a friend's SE yesterday (still a very good phone) I couldn't use a device with a 4" screen unless it was just for the very basics, yet I used to read books on my iPhone 5. I'm not saying bigger is always better, but for me at least with iPhones it is.

The test for me is will it fit in my front jeans pocket comfortably, and the Max does.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Depends on the person. I can use the Max one handed.

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I've wanted a screen this size for a long time. If Apple hadn't introduced the 6 Plus, I would have gotten a Galaxy Note that year. I remember all of the hand wringing about Apple going from a 3.5 to a 4" screen: even then, I wanted a larger screen than the iPhone 5, but I loved the Apple ecosystem, and Android still had a way to go, for me.

My wife still uses my 5s, and I'm taken aback when I pick it up: it's hard to believe that I was happy with that size at the time. I haven't returned my X yet, and it feels tiny! I can't use a 6,7, 8 or X one handed most of the time, so I might as well go big.

Lots more text on screen, easier to handle, more enjoyable to view pics and videos, it fits fine in all of my pockets. I wouldn't want a smaller screen. YMMV

9. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

I tried a X after the 7 Plus and it felt like an apple remote in my hand. Got the XS Max and I wasn't sure if I could adjust to the weight/size. Played with an XS yesterday and realized it's just simply too small/narrow. Even looking at pictures in the app is too small because you get the black bars on the side, its a lot of wasted space and zooming into each picture is kinda a joke. Probably just gonna stick with the Max.

10. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

I need two hands as my hands are both quite small. But it's a good experience. I would always use two hands anyway, especially if I was outside taking a call.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    That's just how I feel.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I don't think I could go back smaller, loved the X, but very happy to go back to a larger display and for the improved battery life.

12. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I am too but I found it hard to tote my 7+ around while working doing mountain climbing, snowboarding, back country hiking, etc with what essentially felt like a card table in my pocket or vest.

The X normal size phone is as big as I will go and since I carry reading glasses anyway going from a jumbo sized phone to the XS has made all the difference.

Never again on a big phone.....

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Is there some sort of rule or law that I am not aware of? Some people use one hand, some people two. Nothing wrong with either, it's a personal preference.

14. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Going back even further, I can remember when the Nokia N95 8GB came out. That 8GB seemed luxurious at the time. How could I ever fill up that 8GB? lol. I owned one of those for about a year and enjoyed it, never filling the 8GB and this was before streaming music was a thing. I think I had around 4GB of music on it at the time which seemed huge.

Also it had an increased screen size from 2.5" to 2.8" and it really was noticeable - you could feel it. It's amazing to think how far we've come in the last decade. There wasn't a lot you could do with the original iPhone but that screen was huge at 3.5" for the time.

15. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

The X/Xs is the ideal phone size for me. Prior to the X, I had the 6s Plus. While I loved the screen formatting and the battery life, I hated its size.

16. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

Different strokes I guess. I have no desire to carry a phablet.

17. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

I think the word phablet has gone out of vogue really. In the past anything bigger than a 5" screen would be regarded as a phablet.

But my iPad is 10.5" and no phone would ever be that size.

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I couldn't go back. The Xs Max is my dream phone that I've been waiting forever for, ever since I first hooked up a windows mobile handheld PC with a 1xrtt CF modem. I joke sometimes that I'd take an even larger phone, but honestly this size is approaching the maximum for me, well at least until foldable screens become a reality.

19. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

A phone can only be a one handed device? There’s different phone choices for a reason.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Is the XS Max obstrusive in a jean pocket? How do you carry it? I thought I was decided on an XS Max, but now, maybe, I should go with an XS. I have a company iPhone 7 Plus in an Ottebox case. I test wear it in jeans and shorts and it's huge. Maybe, as you mentioned, with an Apple Silicone case (preferred over leather), that the XS Max will be non-obtrusive in a pant pocket.

21. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine feels fine in my jeans pocket with an Apple leather case; I'm aware that it's there, but it never feels obtrusive. The plastic case did, however, making the phone a lot larger in all directions. That, and the fact that it just didn't feel good; Apple makes the best cases for their own phones in my opinion.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks... I've owned a few of the leather Apple cases. They do not patina well. You won't be able to clean the grime it leaves over time. With the Silicone Case, my first experience with them, I'm hearing, the silicone will either rip or get sticky over time.

23. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

You would notice the patina or grime more on a lighter colour, tan or red than the forest green that I chose. I'll just give it a wipe with a clean moist cloth from time to time.

24. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

The past, as in last year? Nahh ... you may not want to call it that, but it is still a phablet.

Confirmation bias, I suppose.

25. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

5" is on the small size nowadays - I don't think there are too many companies making phones with less than a 5" screen.

It's the same with the 7.9" iPad Mini - it's just not big enough for a tablet (although it does have its niche) hence Apple concentrating on 10.5" and larger for its iPads.