Does Anyone Else Find it Hard to Justify $150+ for a Band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wbitsky, Apr 18, 2015.

1. wbitsky macrumors member

I ordered a 42mm sport, (in silver specifically so I could buy other bands). I like the sport bands, but I want something else for more formal occasions. The next cheapest bands are the leather loop and and the Milanese loop, each $150.

Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that they are charging that much for a band? I understand that it is Apple, but come on, it's nearly half the price of the watch itself. Is this the norm for regular watch bands, or what?

2. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

IMO, a cheap version of that band would cost $50-$75 but this band is top of the line quality. Akin to what you would find on a top of the line watch. If you bought a $500+ watch with a band like this and needed to replace it it would cost as much or more than what Apple is charging.

Premium watches are expensive and this watch is made as well as $500-$1,000 swiss watches.

This is a different industry than what we are used to from Apple and we have to **** our perspective a bit. It doesn't mean that you "should" do or buy anything, I just mean that the playing field for watches is different than the playing field for phones or even computers. Apple is not trying to compete with Pebble, they are trying to compete with expensive watches. JMO.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I bought the 42mm Space Black Watch and Link Band. So no.

4. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Welcome to Apple.

Just wait for the knock offs.

Bands will be huge. Quality stuff for $10 US. I guarantee it.

5. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I'd never pay that much for an extra band

I lold at the $600 CAD they want for the link band

6. wbitsky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for sharing. When I felt the leather loop in person, it felt somewhat like plastic. Is that what high end leather feels like (I wouldn't know). IMO it definitely doesn't feel like top of the line...

----------

What does that have to do with a leather band? Sure it isn't the most expensive band they sell, but it still is awfully expedjve

7. itsMacTonight macrumors 6502

itsMacTonight

Compared to some bands these are not overly expensive. I'm still not sure about the quality of every band Apple makes, but compared to some bands I've seen that are probably in the same class as Apple's, the price of Apple's is equitable if not less in some cases. There are less expensive bands, but I believe Apple's are superior in quality to most this comparison group.

8. wit4breakfast macrumors member

The leather bands are extraordinarily overpriced. I have some high end timepieces and the leather is completely different.

I'll be waiting for adaptors and grab a nice alligator leather band.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

My wife is getting the $250 modern buckle.

Just the price of a nice watch.

We both got SS watches.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

NOTHING Apple sales is cheap. Remember when folks thought the plastic 5c was gonna be inexpensive? It wasn't.

11. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There will be even more expensive ones. Lots and lots of money to be made here.

13. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Yes all of the band prices are ludicrous. $50 for a rubber band is borderline insulting and it only gets worse from there. But I'm a proud Click backer ;)

14. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Actually, no. These bands are top notch stuff. I'm not paying for crap here.

15. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

If you wear something every day, comfort becomes worth a good amount of money for some people (myself included). I just don't see some of these cheap knockoffs providing the same comfort as the Apple bands, but I'm certainly interested to see what people put out there.

16. Aces2412 macrumors regular

Like anything else there will be plenty of knock offs out there if your looking for cheaper.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No I justified it after I tried them on. I bought a sport and a leather in addition to the milanese loop. I am tempted to get a link band as well.

18. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Nope, I found it easy to justify $450 for a band, simply because the link bracelet is absolutely gorgeous :cool:

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Each link on my Omega band is $80.00.

20. cloudspy macrumors member

It would cost me about half that for a decent watch band. So no it isn't that bad compared to other high end watches.

21. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Based on having inspected the bands first hand last night, I'd say they are way over-priced. The leather loop feels like plastic. The Milanese band is like silver fabric. The link bracelet looks like it belongs on a $25 Timex from 1980. I was very disappointed with Apple's bands.

I'm sure aftermarket watch band manufacturers are salivating over the price Apple is charging... bands they're normally selling for $50 will easily fetch $200 now with an Apple Watch connection since Apple has set quality bar so low and the price so high.

Check this out... I bet this $60 band will sell for $200 with an Apple Watch connection on it and sadly, it's probably vastly superior to any of Apple's own straps. :confused:

Attached Files:

22. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

My personal opinion is that the price is high. I am debating getting the soft pink modern buckle when they become available. I am also having difficulty swallowing the price, not knowing how long I'll be able to keep it. If AW2 - 4 all allow for the current bands to be used, I'd buy whichever bands I wanted. Not so much if future AW (if there are future AW) won't work with the current bands.

As for how the prices stack up against higher end offerings for analog watches, here are a few comparisons I found. Up to the individual to determine how they stack up in quality.

Rubbber:
    http://www.shinola.com/shop/watch-straps/24mm-black-rubber-strap.html
    http://www.thestrapsmith.com/rubber_silicone/1565

Leather:
    http://www.thestrapsmith.com/leather_straps/1596
    http://www.shinola.com/shop/watch-straps/24mm-black-nato-latigo-gbs-strap.html
    http://www.dalucastraps.com/clementiguer/

23. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

The member you were quoting was discussing the leather loop, the hodinkee article was discussing the classic buckle. I agree that the leather loop bands feel cheap.

24. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

Prices are pretty high, I'm pretty taken with the leather loop though; those magnets are pretty nifty. I'll stick with the sport band for now and consider buying more later, they're hardly going to stop selling them.

I've ordered a Click too, purely for fascination really, if their adapters work, I'll be happy with all the free bands they're sending, but if not, meh, I'll pay Apple's prices, hehe.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The experts would have to actually get one and review it before I bought one. I want quality. I don't want an expensive watch face with a cheap band. Sorry...