Does anyone else hate the new FrontRow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stridder44, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Does anyone else think the old FrontRow look was cooler? Even down to the little sounds and the way the screen faded back when you opened it up, FrontRow 1 was much better. The new one feels like something out of Windows Media Center.

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I like the new FrontRow. I just want the old transition back.

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

There are several things i miss from frontrow 1, i liked the transition when you turned it on and turned it off, and i also liked the navigation a bit better. The thing i miss most about front row is the 30sec forward 10sec back to move trough videos. This new fast forwarding and rewinding is strangs. Still, frontrow 2 is worth it only for the increase in speed. i remember going into the movies folder, and then scrolling down, only to have frontrow lag for a few seconds...

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I like the new front row - the old one looked better and had the cool transition but this one is usable for me, the last one was so laggy.

5. Mekgek macrumors member

The new one is way faster which I like.

But I hate it that the music stops playing once you navigate away from the menu.

6. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah. You pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Also, I wish they'd bring back the old Spotlight window that would come up when you clicked "show all". Things were better organized.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That appears to be because FR no longer launches iTunes in the background.

I much prefer the new FR. The old one looks like a hacked rush job with a Fisher-Price-type interface after a couple of weeks with the new one.

8. TheQuestion macrumors regular

I'm wondering if this is a bug. Anyway, I like it, but it took some getting use to.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The volume changing bezel is a piece of crap...Apple need to realise people want FR from far away!

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Love it

The new Front Row 2 is so much better and one MAJOR feature that no one has either mentioned or noticed is that it runs iTunes and iPhoto without launching them. That was one thing I always hated about Front Row 1, every time I played a song in Front Row 1 it would take a long time to launch because it was launching iTunes in the background and then when I finished with Front Row iTunes would still be launched and continue playing the song.
    The same would happen with iPhoto.
    Front Row 2 Rocks!
    Sorry to the OP if you were expecting people to join you in your hatred for the new Front Row.

11. vandlism macrumors 6502

Ha, Front Row 2 is a blessing. The album art on the side as I scroll makes picking out movies a much more enjoyable time (which is nice when you have 170+ movies to choose from). Also, when you are looking through TV shows and it brings up the description underneath the album art. Yeah Front Row 2 is awesome and is why I also love my AppleTV so very very much.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

frontrow 2 also do not display remote artwork.

13. TheStu macrumors 65816

See, I basically always leave iTunes open on my system, so having Front Row 1 use it was never a big deal for me. Especially since I may have already set up the playback the way I liked it.

In Front Row 2 for instance, I cannot tell to shuffle songs AND let me choose the song to start on. Can anyone enlighten me as to how to do that, it would go long way toward my acceptance of Front Row 2.

14. avalys macrumors 6502

I agree, I like the new Front Row. I don't think it makes sense to launch iTunes in the background - iPhoto even less so. To me Front Row is a completely separate application.

However - Apple should add a feature so that, if iTunes is already running when you start Front Row, it will continue playing the song when you exit it.

15. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I never used Front Row until Leopard. When I saw how it was essentially identical to Apple TV and listed Sources I shared my iTunes library over my home network. Now we can listen to all audio or watch video all based on 1 mac and able to stream to multiple macs beautifully fast and seemless with wireless N. Hate the new FrontRow? not me.

16. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Well allow me to agree that Front Row 2 is terrible.

It may have a faster menu, but there is not a 2-4 second delay between selecting a video file and it actually playing it. Also, the new volume control is stupidly small.

More annoying is the removal of the resume feature.

Leopard is great on my macbook for none-media use, but I'm switching back to Tiger on my media Mac mini. Hopefully that will fix the super slow computer-computer ethernet connection problem too.

17. iChester macrumors newbie

As a recent switcher, I can tell you guys that front row in Leopard is amazing, I haven't seen anything like it before. Saying that this app is terrible seems very strange to me. You must be spoiled!

18. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Yep same here!
    You would have thought that with the new core animation stuff we'd get something better than a simple fade...maybe 10.5.1 might fix it :)

19. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I like it for the same reason.

Is it running on QuickLook instead or iTunes or iPhoto?

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

One niggle I have is that I can be scrolling through artists while I have music playing, and all of a sudden it'll jump back to a random artist. Normally it's the artists that's currently playing, but there's no depends. Slightly annoying if i've just gotten down to Z and it jumps back to A.

Haven't a clue why it does it, the old never did. Hopefully it'll get fixed with the next update.

21. krissvl macrumors member

Well i think FR2 is still cool BUT..........................Answer this...

I have a external monitor for my macbook so i can watch my shows on big screen and need to get front row to work on it, i can do it via 'mirroring' the macbook display in preferences > displays, but this trims abit off the big screen and makes it look ****!!! HELP...... why havent apple made it like a proper application that you can resize etc.....

:apple: for life

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I love FrontRow 2.0

Simply because it runs on my Mac Pro… :D

With FR 1.0 I had to edit the plist file(s) to get it working.

23. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

The original Front Row looked gorgeous, but was entirely unusable on my MacBook. Major delays when loading anything, lag everywhere when scrolling through albums/playlists, ages to load any content I'd selected, etc etc etc.

Leopard's Front Row is usable. I am going to use it a lot. That is the key. I never ever ever ever ever used Tiger's Front Row except when I wanted to show people the cool rolling in effect. I wish that was still there. I'll sacrifice it though for the fact that the thing is now usable.

24. krissvl macrumors member

Get what working? external monitor? if so how?

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup, it works like this:

I got a Mira Infra-red receiver (from TwistedMelon).
    I bought an Apple remote from the Apple Store…

It works. :D

You can also use the remote in EyeTV etc…