Does anyone else here hate computers?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I am talking computers in general whether PC, Mac, Amiga or Atari. No PC vs Mac thread here.

I just remember life was so much simpler and more enjoyable without them.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Some of us here are pretty much too young to remember what life was like before computers. Although I am a fringe case as when I was in primary school we just got a BBC and then it was a fair few years until I was an early teen before we got a PC at home.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I know what you mean OP

I miss life when my family didnt have internet, which we got in 2000 or cell phones

I am on the computer alot....mainly out of boredom
Then do whatever you did before 2000.

If you guys don't like how much you use the computer, use it less. If you don't like them at all, just don't use them. It's a simple concept.

dankybear

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
Then do whatever you did before 2000.

If you guys don't like how much you use the computer, use it less. If you don't like them at all, just don't use them. It's a simple concept.
some people are paid to use them...

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Before computers life was never dull. It was exciting. If I needed some information I would have to run out to the library and look it up in a reference book. How exciting. If I wanted to watch a movie, I needed to go to the theater or rent a movie from a video store. How exciting. Paying bills by mail was VERY exciting. Oh, how much more free time I had back then to do all these things...

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
This thread makes me want to become a hunter gatherer. I'm sure that I would probably spend most of my time as a hunter gatherer making new tools and trying to invent the wheel. (due to my obsession with technology, assuming that I would still be the same person as a HG that I am today) I guess technology trumps barbarian civilizations, because we as a people want to get the best out of what is available.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I had an attention span before computers....

Other then that I love computers. Very very useful to me. What I hate is people who need to use computers, but don't know how to use computers and use the excuse "well I'm computer stupid, I didnt grow up with computers"...guess what...

...Neither did I! I didn't have a computer till I was a senior in high school so...about 9 - 10 years I've been using a computer and I'm a hobbyist programmer, I fix computers and servers for a living for a large company, I program games in my spare time, I go to college online (third college), etc...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've come to resent how much I'm expected to use the computer...check my email all day, research, paper writing. I fear having a job a few years from now where I sit in front of a computer all day, come home but still be tethered to the computer via Blackberry.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Before computers life was never dull. It was exciting. If I needed some information I would have to run out to the library and look it up in a reference book. How exciting. If I wanted to watch a movie, I needed to go to the theater or rent a movie from a video store. How exciting. Paying bills by mail was VERY exciting. Oh, how much more free time I had back then to do all these things...
I think you forgot something in your post: :rolleyes: or ;). There you go, perfect! :)

No, I don't agree with the OP. I'm a bit of an information junkie. Being able to find out what I want at the touch of a few buttons is heaven!

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
This thread makes me want to become a hunter gatherer.
Ah, those were the days. Word had different meaning back then. Broadcasting involved tossing seeds around, fast food was the chicken you couldn't catch;) and spreadsheet...:eek:

You spreadsheet in columns.
You spreadsheet in rows.
The more you spreadsheet
The faster it grows.:D

I don't miss those days one bit.:p

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I spend 10+ hours in front of a computer, so when I get home, I enjoy not sitting in front of one. In general, though I don't hate computers. I love tinkering with them and working on them. I also make sure I do other things, like reading exercising, spending time with my family. So in the end, computers are only a small part of my non-work life.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh hells yea. I've been a computer user (Amiga to PC then Mac, then Bootcamp!) since I was 6. Just over the weekend I decided to sever ties with my machines and I've actually had a great time.