Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I love my MacBook Pro. No question about that.

However, I do have a love/hate relationship with the state of technology today. As others have said, it feels so hectic and busy and I sometimes think I would like a simpler life.

On the other hand, I truly value how much access we have to so much information so quickly. 20 years ago, if you wanted to research a product, you had to go to the library, find magazines, write to the company asking for literature (and wait weeks for a response). Now a little time Googling and you have everything you need.

Of course, this leads to massive information overload. I was shopping for a home theatre receiver recently and was trying to learn the difference between different companies' sound enhancing technologies. Pioneer uses something called MCACC; Yamaha has YPAO; Denon and Onkyo license a technology called Audyssey. I was trying to learn more about just ONE of those technologies and was directed to one thread on a forum with twenty-two-thousand replies. :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think life for me has been unambiguously better, as computer technology evolved, but I think it's also quite possible that my life would have continued to become unambiguously better without it.

In any event, I like computers, and technology, and they've far from made me a recluse that never sees the sun or his friends.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
I have no interest in computers as such. I'm into sound recording and it's just a glorified recorder with tools to me. I wish I had the expertise for a 2 inch 24 track but I don't and so I've gone for convenience. Some plugs are in fact great .. Absynth is one but I'm still into tangible hardware. Ideally with valves (tubes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.