Does anyone else NOT want a larger display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I think we can say with confidence that iPhone 6 will have a larger display :eek: Anyways, I have the 5s and I think its the perfect size! I know it depends on what you like personally, so maybe its just my opinion. So let me hear what you guys think of a larger iPhone, what size is your favorite and do you think that Apple will introduce a 4 inch model with updated internals?

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I would be fine if they kept the Iphone5 - 5s size, I think 4.7 would be all I would want to have. I think the 5+ screen sizes look stupid IMO.

3. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Well I just got the 5 a couple of months ago, and it's less than a year-old, a fairly new device.

I definitely don't want a larger screen - I've had the Xperia Z with a 5" screen - way too big - and my current Moto G with 4.5" is on the upper limit of comfortability for me.

The 4" display is the perfect size for me.

4. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

I'm happy with the overall dimensions of the iPhone 5, if they can fit a slightly larger screen there, reducing the bezel, then great

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

4.7" is actually on the smaller side, yet a lone 4". If anyone has a problem using a phone with a 4.7" screen, then something is seriously wrong. We can rest assured that 4" iS GONE...thank GOD!!! Hopefully it just keeps getting bigger and bigger each year.

6. dwfaust, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Hopefully quality phones will come out with smaller screens - I know I've gone from 5" (Xperia Z) to 4.6" (Xperia SP) to 4.5" (Moto G) to 4" with the iPhone 5.

Not everyone wants a large screen.

8. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

I TOTALLY agree with the people that said that iPhone 5/5s is the perfect size! If they could put 4.7 inches in the same form factor as the 5/5s, that would be cool. But for me personally, I really like the 4 inch screen! I have no experience with larger screens, but I've handled the S4 and I couldn't reach all corners of the screen like I can on my 5s. I doubt they would, but MAYBE they can keep the 4 inch screen and update the internals to keep it up to date?

9. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

IMO, a bigger screen is welcome.

I believe that people have 2 'worries': 1) form factor and 2) one handed use (how ridiculous)

Form factor: how big the device is with everything included. People on this site are talking about not being able to fit a 4.7" iPhone in their pocket....are you serious? A 4.7" screen, we're not talking about an iPad mini form factor increase...I mean, come on! The device will be bigger, yes, but not to the point where it'll stop fitting in your pocket and end your whole life (that's how dramatic people on here are)

One handed use: a .7" jump is not THAT much. Think of the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 screen and add a little more. I don't understand why people NEED to use their device one handed. It leaves me to wonder what they're doing with the other hand that is SOO important that they NEED one handed usability or it's a deal breaker. Practice your hand shimmy to shuffle the phone around. I've sure mastered it but I can comfortably use my iPhone 4 (3.5") and iPod touch 5G (4") with 2 hands.

People talk about not wanting it, but I'm sure that one of them is going to be ordering the phone or standing in line at launch day, that's written in stone.

Be more open to changes on the phone. Apple needs to change as the needs of people and the market change. If it's a deal breaker, get yourself an iPhone 5S and hang on to it, it's future proof for a few more years.

10. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

When I went from a 3.7" phone to a 4.8" phone, it felt abnormally big at first. It didn't take me very long to get used to the larger screen. I fired up my old 3.7" phone last week and it felt really small to me now. I think that many people will find the larger screen a bit awkward at first, but will eventually get used to it. Then they will find the old smaller phone really tiny once they are used to a larger phone.

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Coming from a 4s, a 4" is going to be big and a 4.7" screen is going to be huge. Good thing I've got big hands. :cool:

12. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Keeping the current 5S size plus the 4.7" iPhone 6 size would be the two best options for Apple to allow.

IMHO the speculated 5.5" size is just too excessive, in fact it would be the perfect example of why many poke fun of phablets to begin with (unwieldy, goofy-looking, cumbersome, requires a backpack or man-bag to carry, etc). That's my opinion. I'm sure some rabid phablet-o-phile will come here telling me to shut the hell up and leave them to their choice if they want a monstrously large phablet. They are entitled to that opinion too.

Glenn Beck with his Samsung Phablet:

Attached Files:

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm in the I love big phones camp. The LG G3 at 5.5" isn't too big physically (when compared to it's screen size) because of the small bezels. I'll get the largest iPhone that comes out but if there is a 5.5" I know it's going to be larger than my G3 because of the horrible bezels.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My Nexus is like 4.7-4.9 ish, I can't remember. It's big enough. No bigger. 4.7 is best, IMHO.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not think that iPhone users will be forced into a larger phone and Apple will still offer the 5 is some form for several years.

16. cynics macrumors G4

Does anyone else NOT want a larger display?

You should expect people to call you out when you post a pic labeled Samsung_phablet.jpg which is a picture of an actual tablet not a phablet.

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Maybe it will be in 3 size categories eventually:

iPhone 6S, S = small 4" screen

iPhone 6R, R = regular size (the 4.7" becoming the standard median size in the future)

iPhone 6P, P = phablet sized 5.5" screen

18. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

19. MA-86 macrumors member

Initially I was against the idea of iPhone with bigger screen and thought i would never be getting it, but considering that bezels will shrink top/bottom and on the sides and the phone will be considerably slimmer it shouldn't be such a big of a change really.

also I think that the iPhone 5c will be the new entry level iPhone and will be sold unchanged from last year, to satisfy low cost/smaller screen need for some customers.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Top and bottom bezel look about the same from what I've seen so far. Just the sides slightly narrower.

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

My pockets are still the same size, so no I don't want a bigger phone. If I need more screen I have an iPad. If I need it bigger still I have an iMac.

22. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It depends. If rumors were confirming a 4" screen for the iPhone 6, everybody would be yelling how perfect a 4" screen is.
    However, rumors are stating a bigger size, so most will naturally follow. It's important to justify one's investment with posts on a web forum, it seems.

23. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Eat while surfing the web
    Push a stroller while glancing at an email
    Hold my child's hand while replying to a text

Doesn't really seem that difficult to imagine different scenarios where one handed use is preferred.

So why is it so important to people? Will it make the viewing experience THAT much better?

Great way to increase the risk of dropping my phone.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to the iphone 6, but keep in mind that you want a feature that might come at the expense of another feature. Just because it's the feature you like doesn't make you right.

24. dvoros macrumors 6502

larger display YES

I cannot wait for the larger 5.5 inch display. I cannot read on the tiny screen now and I drool over my friends Samsung phones. Its about time that Apple catches up with the rest of the world.:D

----------

The picture you show is nowhere near a proposed 5.5 inch screen. You make it and yourself look ridiculous.:eek: