Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
So yeah, has anyone else found it ridiculous when Apple has bragged about their remote only needing six buttons compared to the multitude of buttons that media center PCs have in comparison?

APPLE: those other remotes have more buttons because they do at least FIVE TIMES as much as yours!

Sheesh.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
VeganBryan said:
So yeah, has anyone else found it ridiculous when Apple has bragged about their remote only needing six buttons compared to the multitude of buttons that media center PCs have in comparison?

APPLE: those other remotes have more buttons because they do at least FIVE TIMES as much as yours!

Sheesh.

Yes. It'd be nice to see Apple come up with a Interface that allow the user to do 'five' times as much - but still use the 6-button remote. For the moment though, the bragging is about as convincing as the new iPod HiFi.

A lot of the VCR, TV, DVD remotes duplicate functionality - e.g. I don't think most remotes 'need' to have numbers AND cursors, perhaps just cursors. You could change channels, volume, set date & times with the 4-cursor and one centre button.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Apple have always been about simplicity. That's all they're doing now.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
not that i totally disagree, but i'll play devils advocate for a second.
when comparing the remotes, don't compare the specific tasks, compare the end results. yea, the 87.5 button remotes can do more specific tasks, but with apples, you don't need to do as many specific tasks to accomplish the same thing. as far as front row is concerned, i can't see the need for any more buttons.

that said, most pc media setups have a tv tuner or dvr; macs don't. but if macs did have a tuner/dvr, it would certainly need a few more buttons.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
epepper9 said:
of course, and i understand that, but my point was that the whole thing is an apples (no pun intended) and oranges comparison being made by them, so i find it pretty lame/stupid.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
plinkoman said:
not that i totally disagree, but i'll play devils advocate for a second.
when comparing the remotes, don't compare the specific tasks, compare the end results. yea, the 87.5 button remotes can do more specific tasks, but with apples, you don't need to do as many specific tasks to accomplish the same thing. as far as front row is concerned, i can't see the need for any more buttons.

that said, most pc media setups have a tv tuner or dvr; macs don't. but if macs did have a tuner/dvr, it would certainly need a few more buttons.
you CAN'T accomplish the same things with the apple remote and the hardware it accompanies, though. media center PC remotes often are used for browsing media, complex DVD control, tv control, DVR control, and other universal remote type things.

apple's just browses media and does BASIC dvd controls, so of course it only needs six buttons.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
VeganBryan said:
you CAN'T accomplish the same things with the apple remote and the hardware it accompanies, though. media center PC remotes often are used for browsing media, complex DVD control, tv control, DVR control, and other universal remote type things.

apple's just browses media and does BASIC dvd controls, so of course it only needs six buttons.

did you not notice the part where i said if apple had a dvr, it would certainly need more buttons???

or how about the part where i said i don't actually disagree with you???

would it kill you to read a post before replying to it? :rolleyes:

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
plinkoman said:
did you not notice the part where i said if apple had a dvr, it would certainly need more buttons???

or how about the part where i said i don't actually disagree with you???

would it kill you to read a post before replying to it? :rolleyes:
hey, relax man, i knew that, i was just responding to the argument being made. :)

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
VeganBryan said:
hey, relax man, i knew that, i was just responding to the argument being made. :)

ah, the words in CAPS made me assume you were angrily replying to and taking my post seriously. thats why i hate conversing online as opposed to in person, i can never tell if someone is serious or not.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Simple remotes rock.

I'm not convinced that the Apple remote is the best thing since sliced bread*, but I already have a remote that is similar in its quest for doing more with fewer buttons. The TiVo peanut is an amazing remote, and is far simpler than the typical remote that comes with a DVD player and most "universal" remotes.

*The Apple remote looks too small for my hands, I should go play with one this weekend.

B

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
When I'm at people's houses, I tend to stare at their assembly of 5 remotes with their 40 or 100+ buttons each until someone offers to turn the TV on for me.:confused:

Six buttons works fine for me.:eek:

My thinking is that they'll make a scroll wheel remote if they decide to DVR/TV-tune a Mac. It's not like I ever remember the channels for anything besides the free networks and Sci-Fi (for Battlestar Galactica, of course!).

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
epepper9 said:

Simplicity? Yes, it's a good thing, but there should be the border where "simple" becomes bad, really bad. (Referring to Mac mini's graphics processor :mad: )

:rolleyes:

I personally like how the Apple Remote looks on the pictures (never saw it in real world). Surely those ATI Remote Wonder and similar remotes are ugly with all those millions of unnecessary buttons

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
The remote side-by-side pics don't bother me, but as I watched the 12 minute clip of the Mac mini announcement on cnet, I did start to roll my eyes everytime Steve said the word "great". At times I thought he was even trying to convince himself.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I totally think the Apple Remote rocks. I mean, I love the simplicity. Like when I did model rocketry - one button push, and whoosh! Look at the Space Shuttle - there's like a million buttons, and, in the end, all it does is go whoosh.

Well, maybe the Space Shuttle does a few more things.

And, well, maybe, just maybe, remotes with many buttons might be more useful.

I agree with the OP. Apple shouldn't have tried to make the comparison.

Now, if they'd just stick a trackpad on that sucker, then they'd be golden. ;)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'd love it if Apple released a new remote at some point with a wheel like on the iPods. Bluetooth too. However, the remote costs Apple next to nothing to manufacture right now, hence why they can include it for free on every new mac. Adding an iPod like wheel would cost them a fair chunk, Bluetooth too. Then you have to factor in a small rechargeable battery (because bluetooth eats battery life for breakfast). Maybe a recharging method of induction so that it charges while its stuck onto the side of the iMac/mini whatever. Things like this will substantially boost up the price.

And also, how many TVs, DVD players, HiFis etc use bluetooth?? There's no need for it! If anything I think Apple might end up releasing an Apple Remote Plus with Bluetooth, wheel and rechargeable battery and sell it for $49. Well more likely something like $79.

ke2000

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
big hell country
Spanky Deluxe said:
And also, how many TVs, DVD players, HiFis etc use bluetooth?? There's no need for it!
They could use bluetooth instead of extra IR receiver at every new macs. BTW IR is old technology but I guess it costs nearly nothing to make one of IR control.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
ke2000 said:
They could use bluetooth instead of extra IR receiver at every new macs. BTW IR is old technology but I guess it costs nearly nothing to make one of IR control.

They could use a bluetooth remote and sell Frontrow as a separate software package - perhaps allowing re-use of older/retired Macs. However this doesn't sell hardware, which I understood was Apple's main aim. However selling, what would likely be a very popular piece of software should make great build-it-once, sell many times, business sense (I'm sure it's been discussed many times on here before now).

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, the current remote(s) kicks A.$.$. I have about 3 in my living room when all I need is 6 buttions. When I see that compared to the other remotes, I see why I'm switching to Apple.:)

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I've never used one, but it seems like volume adjustment would be hard without a scroll wheel or something. Also, if it was going to be a dvr I'd want channel buttons.

Heck if apple would just come up with a LCD remote that changed screens/virtual buttons that could control everything in the house I would jump to it. $200? $300?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Peyton said:
..Heck if apple would just come up with a LCD remote that changed screens/virtual buttons that could control everything in the house I would jump to it. $200? $300?

I have one of
ofa_8060.gif
- works well. Link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.