Does anyone else secretly want the iP4 to be a flop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tronic, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I have to admit I'm starting to take all this stuff personally lol. First there were the numerous hardware/software problems and now the phone i've been waiting for a month to buy (white iP4) has been delayed indefinitely. I highly doubt it will happen but I kinda hope the iP4 is a dud overall. That's not to say that I might not break down and get one eventually, but as of now the iPhone has left a bad taste in my mouth and I would like to see Apple suffer a little for such poor testing control and the many false promises regarding shipping dates. Maybe i'll just buy a used 3GS to tide me over until iP5.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and love ALMOST all their products, I just think they got a little full of themselves with this release. If you can't get the basics done right, don't try to wow the crowd with stupid retina displays and gyroscopes. Here's to hoping the iP5 is an absolute blockbuster. Back to the drawing board Apple.

So anyway, cool story bro, but does anyone else secretly want Apple to suffer for their numerous mistakes this release?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Nope. The media is blowing things out of proportion. It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. As an owner I can say the phone is amazing and easily their best.

3. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

Even if 3/4's of the people that returned them it still wouldn't be a flop

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

You hope it's a dud? 1.7 million phones sold in 3 days. 3 million sold over the course of three weeks.

There are literally hundreds of threads like this here of people complaining about "Apple's mistakes."

Nothing new here. :rolleyes:

5. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

Geez. I mean, I've been sad about the white never coming out (let's be realistic,) but I'm actually really excited to get a black one. Can't beat that screen!

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

uh a little late for that... it's certainly already a success.

Besides just get the phone, absolutely nothing about this whole situation is personal and you making it into that is hardly justifiable. I have been waiting for white as well and after today's announcement I went out and bought a black one instead and once I slap a skin on it I won't mind it at all. My advice is stop trying to make more out of it than it is, buy an iphone 4 and enjoy it until the iphone 5, then enjoy that one ;)

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Not quite. A flop would hurt Apple across all products.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but while many feel Jobs' pomposity is hurting the company, all he really wants is to create the best products. He is only human, humans make mistakes (even with millions in antenna testing equipment on an antenna design that as never been used before)

I really hope Apple learns from the mistakes of the iPhone 4 to make an even greater iPhone 5.

8. wickywahwah macrumors regular

no. i wanted nothing more than for apple to get it right and ship me my white iphone this month! but life goes on, i ordered a 32GB black today and i hope it's everything i wanted in the white...just...darker

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This thread is wayyyyy late. Im pretty sure the iphone 4 is the most successful (or will be the most successful) Apple product of all time.

10. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

Anyone that thinks this is a bash Apple thread is confused. All I asked is if people harbored resentment because of Apple's mistakes.

11. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

If they stopped selling phones right now, they'd still be ahead of 95% of the competition. Stupid question if you ask me since we already know what the answer is.

12. xraytech macrumors 68020

You're kidding right?!?

BAHHAHAHAHA!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20008852-260.html

On top of that, I was at the Apple Store today and they had a new shipment of already spoken for iP4s.

A Flop?!?

Don't make me laugh, oops, too late.

BAHHAHAHAHA!!!

13. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Well considering I own Apple stock..

Only good thing about Apple stock going down would be me buying more..

:apple:

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Then don't buy one, more for the rest of us.
    Remember, you still can't walk into a store and buy one - sold out everywhere!

16. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but as soon as you said: "stupid retina display", your credibility vanished like magic.

17. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

i bought one and am keeping it, but i do kinda wish it would flop so that hopefully next time around apple would really pay attention to those little things and knock them off their high horse. though at this point it doesnt look like its going to happen. plus i dont own any apple stock, so thats easy for me to say.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

+1000.

Clearly the OP has never even seen the new display.

19. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP.

I was pretty excited initially about the 4 when introduced, but after a friend visited me with one the past weekend and comparing it to my 3G, what a turd. It could not make a call in areas that my 3G could, no matter how we held the POS.

Camera +
    Battery +
    Overall speed +
    Phone FAIL

As much as I've like certain features of the iPhone, I'm just getting the point of having a VERY difficult time in justifying a $220+ monthly installment to ATT for a sup-par service. Heck, I cant even use the thing as a phone without driving 9 miles from my house without the MicroCell, and I'm in Scottsdale, AZ. Pa-f'n-thetic.

iP4 should have knocked the ball out of the park as a PHONE. Yet Apple further crippled it with a poor antenna design. Crap network and a choice of form over function is very discouraging.

In a word; sad.

20. Russiaone macrumors 6502

How many phones has Apple sold thus far? 50 billion? A flop sales wise it will never be. And I love mine, so product-wise it isn't, either.:eek:

21. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

No, I want Apple to secretly fix the hardware (proximity sensor included) problem and software problems and send me a fixed version.

"A girl (just kidding) can dream can't she?"

22. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I'm an Apple fan (I use a Macbook Pro and I've used an iPod for five years now), but all the people caught in the Reality Distortion Field are starting to annoy me. The iPhone 4 has problems, people. Theoretically it's a great product, but many people are experiencing defects. Also, Apple's method of handling this situation has been condescending in my opinion, and that is one of my pet peeves.

Just because you aren't having problems with your phone doesn't mean that none exist.

Did the iPhone 3GS have this many issues upon launch? If they did, they certainly weren't as big of a deal to users.

EDIT: I don't really care either way if the iP4 flops. I mean, it has already been successful sales-wise, so I don't see it "flopping" on the market. I just want Apple to learn from this experience and resume making nothing but top-quality products.

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

well, I guess my phone heard me because I was on a call and it just died. I thought it was the battery but when I plug it into my charger the apple logo appears for like 5 secs then shuts of again for about 10 secs. then back to the apple logo. Looks like going to the genious bar tommorrow

24. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

When your battery gets low enough that it shuts down on it's own it often wont boot up, even while charging. It simply doesn't have enough power stored in the battery to complete the boot cycle. Let it charge for 1/2 an hour (it will keep trying to boot) and eventually it will get charged enough to start up.