Does anyone else want a Super AMOLED Plus display in the next-gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Dec 6, 2011.

?

I want a...

1. ...bigger screen, Super AMOLED Plus (2?) and 16:9 aspect ratio.

39.1%
  2. ...bigger screen, Super AMOLED Plus (2?) and 3:2 aspect ratio.

15.7%
  3. ...bigger screen, LCD and 16:9 aspect ratio.

12.2%
  4. ...bigger screen, LCD and 3:2 aspect ratio.

8.7%
  5. ...3.5" screen, Super AMOLED Plus (2?) and 16:9 aspect ratio.

7.0%
  6. ...3.5" screen, Super AMOLED Plus (2?) and 3:2 aspect ratio.

2.6%
  7. ...3.5" screen, LCD and 16:9 aspect ratio.

5.2%
  8. ...3.5" screen, LCD and 3:2 aspect ratio.

9.6%
  1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Hello everybody,

The sixth generation iPhone, let's call it iPhone 6, is rumoured to be a huge upgrade over the current fifth-generation iPhone, the iPhone 4S. As it appears right now, this iPhone 6 will almost certainly get:

- A complete redesign
    - A bigger screen
    - A6 processor, maybe quad core and extra RAM

Now I was just wondering, if Apple is really going for a bigger screen, than why not go for a Super AMOLED Plus display? Heck, I'd even suggest a 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the current 3:2 aspect ratio.

If Apple goes for a bigger screen, this will certainly mean that developers have to rebuild apps for this screen size, so why not do the job right in one step: go for a 16:9 display. A 16:9 aspect ratio is very common. I also believe it would be much better for phones.

So, this is what I do: I have set up a poll, and below I'm going to give argument for and against a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm also going to tell you why I believe Apple should go for a Super AMOLED Plus (2?) display.

16:9 aspect ratio
    An aspect ratio of 16:9 is very common. Almost all widescreen televisions and handsets have a 16:9 aspect ratio (Full HD: 1920*1080, 16:9. 720p HD: 1280*720, 16:9).

An iPhone with a 16:9 screen will be much better to watch TV series and movies on (like when you are traveling). The main difference between a 3:2 aspect ratio and 16:9 aspect ratio, is that a 16:9 display is actually less wide and somewhat longer.

For example: a 4" 16:9 display is slightly longer, but still not as wide as the current 3.5" 3:2 iPhone display. What this basically means, is that a 4" 16:9 display is almost just as wide as a 3.5" 3:2 display but a 4" 16:9 is slightly longer. So a 4 inch 16:9 display, can easily fit in the design currently used for the iPhone 4S.

And as I said: if Apple is going to change the screen size, developers certainly have to rebuild or improve their apps. So why not immediately change to an aspect ratio that's very common on the market: 16:9.

Advantages 16:9
    - Industry-wide accepted aspect ratio
    - Better for watching YouTube clips, movies, TV-series, etc.
    - Makes the screen actually longer, not wider (4" 16:9 display is just as wide a 3.5" 3:2 display)
    - If developers must rebuild their apps because of a new screen, than letting them do this in 16:9 is perfect

Disadvantages 16:9
    - 'Fragmentation': developers have to update multiple versions for multiple iOS devices
    - More space in length (but less in width!)

Super AMOLED Plus instead of LCD
    The most complaints about AMOLED displays, were that it didn't have a full RGB set-up (images looked less-sharp than on a LCD display with the same resolution and colours were slightly off). Super AMOLED Plus solved most of this issues, and by the beginning of 2012 Super AMOLED Plus 2 will be introduced which should have an even lower power consumption than the original variant and an even higher brightness.

I really believe that Super AMOLED Plus displays are superior to LCD displays for smartphones. Better contrast (a black screen on a Super AMOLED Plus display, for example, is really black - no light shining in your eyes in the dark). Lower power consumption. Thinner than LCD displays.

There are so many advantages. Often heard disadvantages is that AMOLED displays have a shorter life span and colours are slightly over-saturated. I, however, do believe that the disadvantages of LCD are even worse and AMOLED is the future.

A company that wants to innovate, should also experiment with technology from the future. I'm talking to you, Apple.

Advantages over LCD
    - Use less energy, even on maximum brightness on a white display
    - Extremely thin (which allows Apple to create thinner devices)
    - Superior contrast ratio
    - Better for outdoors usage, even at lower brightness than a LCD display
    - Starting in 2012, extremely high pixel density possible (Super AMOLED Plus 2)
    - Extremely wide viewing angle, superior to the IPS technology used in iPad and iPhone

LCD advantages over Super AMOLED Plus
    - LCD displays can be brighter thanks to LED backlighting
    - Currently, allows for much higher pixel density
    - Claimed to have better colour accuracy

For me personally, I take better battery life, better visionability outside, wider viewing angles, superior contrast ratio with true black and extremely thin displays any time over LCD displays which can offer much higher pixel densities, beter colour accuracy and higher brightness.

And again, who knows what the Super AMOLED Plus 2 technology in early 2012 will bring: even higher brightness, even thinner, even better battery life, even better colour accuracy?

So, now my question to you is:

What would you want? A bigger screen, 16:9 aspect ratio and Super AMOLED Plus (2?) technology or a LCD screen with the same aspect ratio, but perhaps a bigger screen?

As I said, for me personally: a bigger screen, 16:9 aspect ratio and Super AMOLED Plus 2.

(I can see however that, for example, you'd want a bigger screen and Super AMOLED Plus 2 display, but the same 3:2 aspect ratio. So, vote!).

VOTE!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What specific reason is the one the keeps Apple from using them now?

and

Will that have changed in those screens by next year?

I don't have the answers to those questions, but I'm pretty sure that this is all that matters.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Continued use of IPS LCD.

3.5" is good. 4.5" is uggh from what I've used.

4", maybe, no experience.

Change of aspect ratio would F up so many apps, I'd rather just not suffer through the transition period.

Don't get your hopes up for AMOLED, it's primarily a Samsung tech, and Apple and them aren't playing super nicely. Expect continued use of SLCD, IPS or new tech via their partnerships with Sony, Sharp, LG, etc.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Too many times I have had to deal with screen burn in (google it to see what I mean) that always happens on AMOLED screens :(

IPS for me :D

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I wouldn't mind if it's AMOLED or IPS. Just make AMOLED have natural colors. If they're going with the over saturated colors then they can take it back.

6. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

The Super AMOLED Plus display has only been available since this year (so with the RGB set-up). So Apple might have decided to wait for a year to see how this new generation AMOLED displays are doing. It's also possible they still had a contract for taking 3.5" LCD displys from certain manufacturers.

2) Early 2012 the successor of Super AMOLED Plus will be announced. All we know right now is that it will really allow for really high pixel density displays (even higher than the one used in the iPhone 4). It's also expected that there are again will be improvement in energy usage and maximum brightness.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

8. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I believe 4.3" is the best, as long as a manufacturer doesn't have a 'clumsy' design. 4" is more comfortable if the design of the phone is somewhat bigger.

I'm not expecting an AMOLED display in the next-gen iPhone, but I can certainly hope for it. And that's why I'm also asking you guys: what do you want (not what do you expect)? Who knows... Apple might be reading along.

A change in screen size would already 'F up' apps, so that's why I am suggesting: if you change the screen size, than also change the aspect ratio to 16:9: so developers will only have to adapt once.

There's no reason why they couldn't use AMOLED by the way. As long as Apple pays, Samsung will deliver. Samsung is earning billions of Apple, because Samsung is also delivering a lot of LCD panels for both iPad and iPhone.

Samsung is split up in multiple, uhm, I don't know how they call it, but something like 'departments'. One department is doing designs, the other one is selling stuff. Apple is only having an issue with one of these departments, they don't have issues with the department where they get their supplies from (like the A5 processor).

I have heard of this too. However, this issue has been hugely addressed with the S. AMOLED Plus technology and as it appears right now, they want to have eliminated this problem in Q1 2012.

9. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I don't care what technology they use, as long as i get a crisp clear picture on my phone is all i care about. I had the 3gs for the past 18 months, and i hated that resolution. My 4s is amazing.

So as long as the next iPhone can do their display right even if they make the phone bigger, then i have no preference on what they use.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Do you have comprehensive independent references for those claims? I would be curious.

The best analysis I know of http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_1.htm does not cover AMOLED+.

11. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I prefer they keep the same IPS technology and just make sure the ppi is around the same or higher if they increase the screen size.

AMOLED technology makes the colors pop but in sunlight I always have sunlight. I tried all variants and their latest releases but the issue is always there.

12. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

3.7 inch to 4 inch screen in the very same form factor ;)

Bright screen, no yellowing this time around please ;)

13. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

The reasons why you listed the advantages the LCD has over AMOLED are probably the exact reasons why they'll stick with the LCD (at this time). They'll do whatever produces the best image for the user, not cram in the latest tech just because it can. I seriously doubt the ratio would change either. Apple will not allow for fragmentation because it will hurt the user experience.

14. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

No, the AMOLED is no where near as good as the retina display.

15. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

No where near as good? Maybe you should have taken the time you did writing that post and driven to the nearest best buy to take a look. I love apple products, but I'm not a blind fanboy. Apple's got a great mobile OS, but they are outdated in several aspects of the hardware department, display included.

16. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

AMOLED delivers the best image. And they are already fragmentating if they change the screen size. So, that's why I say, if you change the screen size... than change the aspect ratio as well. You are already fragmentating so...

You know the 'retina display' is just an IPS LCD display with a high pixel density? They can put the same resolution in a Super AMOLED Plus display.

17. HenryHealy macrumors member

Bigger screen needed.

I know I might get a bit of slack for this but if Apple don't upgrade the screen size on the next iPhone then I think I might have to switch to another OS. I love Apple and its products but the current 3.5" screen is just not cutting it for me anymore.

18. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Doubt it android phones are still competing against the iPhone.

Super amoled will always be an android exclusive technology, hypothetically if iPhones were to be equipped with super amoled, there won't be enough of the panels left for top tier android phones. Super amoled HD displays just started to appear and there are no signs that Apple would want to change the screen resolution to 1280x720.

4in 960x 720 display June 2012 release.

19. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I have used an S2 in the past and currently use the first gen galaxy.

I can tell you for my eyes the IPS display of the iPhone is neck and neck with the Super AMOLED/ SA - PLUS. The display on the iPhone doesn't look bad at all even if put right next to a samsung.

Besides my biggest issue with AMOLEDs is that they are too bright in dark. At night i could read stuff/browse/watch something on the iPhone with min brightness comfortably, with the samsung at night at minimum brightness it is like a reading lamp with enough brightness to bother anyone near me.

I also don't like the over saturated colors, but the contrast is awesome still. I don't care if Apple uses IPS in next gen devices as long as they up the size a bit. IPS is quite good and underrated.

----------

There are AMOLED symbian and WP7 devices FYI.

Similarly there are IPS android and iOS devices (don't know about WP7)

That is not a limiting factor.

20. thenerdal macrumors 65816

There are some Windows Phones with SuperAMOLED and SuperAMOLED Plus.

21. HenryHealy macrumors member

Well yeah, obviously it would be a Retina display version but they definitely need to bump up screen size and resolution.

22. lucas123, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

lucas123 macrumors member

Apple would go bankrupt from all of the returned phones with screen burn in! ;)

23. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

This issue has been addressed a lot with this generation AMOLED displays, and the next-generation OLED displays (all OLED displays are Active Matrix OLED displays), are expected to solve this problem even more. Even LCD displays suffer from screen burn-in (it's rare, however).

24. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Burn in is caused only if you leave your screen on at the same place for a long time.

Like if you leave your screen on the home screen for hours, then you'll get burn in.