Does anyone elses iPhone 4 bumper worsen their signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pepper Pot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Pepper Pot macrumors member

I was applying the invisible shield onto my phOne last night and took the bumper off and throughout I noticed the signal bars much higher than normal (it was lay on the table not in the death grip). Then this morning after I left it to dry I noticed the signal strength still strong, but then when I popped the bumper on the signal dropped right down to one bar :/

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

this would be pretty odd....but if you say so.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's physically possible for an insulator to change the characteristics of an antenna element. Combined with the bridged area I could guess overall attenuation could be increased by somewheren in the neighborhood of 1 to maybe 3 dbm. If that decrease in signal occurred between bars, it could easily cause a drop by one bar. IIRC, all bars are wider than 3dbm, so I can't see a multiple bar drop.

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Man, what's with all this counting on bars?

Isn't the test really how many dropped calls, and rate of data transfer?

Who cares if I've got only one bar as long as I can call my mum.

5. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

This is why I posted my video of No Service without bumper and 5 bars with bumper.

You can debate about bars all day long but the different between no signal and 5 bars is about as clear cut as you can get.

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i'm sorry, who are you trying to call? just kidding! :D

7. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs would refer to you as the <1% of the <1% experiencing this problem.

8. Pepper Pot thread starter macrumors member

It's gone to 3 bars now must have just been a coincidence lol sorry people :)
    I only activated my phone/simcard yesterday and it was yesterday that my phone was fluctuating in signal so maybe the settings were just playing about? As a matter of fact my phones signal has just gone to a strong full bars whilst I'm typing this, I should stop getting so worried lol thanks anyways guys.

Peter James