Does anyone ever actually use force touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarek, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

When I was buying this laptop, I was told that it has the force touch trackpad like on the new MacBook generations, and to be honest I have not found one benefit for it except looking up a certain word for definition and synonyms. Are there are any actual beneficial uses for it?

2. Elastic Love macrumors regular

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

When most people are using mouse, there is little incentive for developers to add special functionality for Force Touch.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Not yet. I haven't found any uses for it yet, but maybe I should look a list up?

5. Closingracer macrumors 68030

6. jerryk, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68040

I never use it. At this point, you have to run Apple applications and I never do that.

7. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I like it. I have a poor vocabulary and it will define words for me. Also, I can make calendar events, and the feedback is nice when adjusting faders in Logic.

8. leman macrumors G3

I do! The dictionary thing is very useful. I wish more apps would have support for force touch.

9. Barry01 macrumors newbie

Yes. And IOS10 is really capitalizing on this

10. !!! macrumors 6502

This is for the MacBook Pros with Force Touch trackpads.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 603

I think I've used it five times in the 15 months I've owned my MBP. I don't even use it on my iPhone.

12. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I've been using Force Touch mostly just because I can. I've only actually found it useful a few times. The most use I'd get out of it is finding definitions of words or statements without having to go to a dedicated website or application for it.

13. Barry01 macrumors newbie

14. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked up a list of the things you can do with Force Touch and the only interesting one that I actually tend to use frequently is the dictionary look-up feature. I am guessing it can become more useful when more 3rd party applications start utilizing it rather than just stock Apple apps, as mentioned here previously. Thanks for your input, guys!

15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

lewdvig

never, only posts like this remind me that i even have it. LOL

16. JustinBW macrumors member

I use it for the dictionary feature exclusively and sometimes that doesn't work (notably in Google Docs, which is likely not Apple's fault).

17. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I don't use a mouse with my Mac and I use Force Touch all the time. For me the track pad is the supreme hardware advantage of Mac over any Windows laptop.

18. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

@Spudlicious I agree with you regarding the track pad being the best in the market of laptops, however my question was specifically regarding Force Touch which I find practically useless.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The dictionary feature isn't even new, I've been using it for years on my ancient MBP with the key command (command-control-D).

20. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas on how it could be applied to tasks to make it more useful? It sort of seems underutilized to me... for example, I would like a "deep click" to open a web link in a private tab...

21. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

My main point is that because I don't use a mouse with my Mac I find Force Touch excellent, but I can see that for someone with a mouse under their hand it's irrelevant.

22. CE3, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

CE3 macrumors 65816

Don't you technically use force touch every time you press the trackpad and it clicks?

I mostly use a mouse on the MacBook, but as far as trackpads go it's the best one I've used.

23. savagewatts macrumors regular