Does anyone ever actually use force touch?

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
When I was buying this laptop, I was told that it has the force touch trackpad like on the new MacBook generations, and to be honest I have not found one benefit for it except looking up a certain word for definition and synonyms. Are there are any actual beneficial uses for it?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
When most people are using mouse, there is little incentive for developers to add special functionality for Force Touch.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I like it. I have a poor vocabulary and it will define words for me. Also, I can make calendar events, and the feedback is nice when adjusting faders in Logic.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I do! The dictionary thing is very useful. I wish more apps would have support for force touch.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I've been using Force Touch mostly just because I can. I've only actually found it useful a few times. The most use I'd get out of it is finding definitions of words or statements without having to go to a dedicated website or application for it.

Reactions: navaira

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I looked up a list of the things you can do with Force Touch and the only interesting one that I actually tend to use frequently is the dictionary look-up feature. I am guessing it can become more useful when more 3rd party applications start utilizing it rather than just stock Apple apps, as mentioned here previously. Thanks for your input, guys!

JustinBW

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
I use it for the dictionary feature exclusively and sometimes that doesn't work (notably in Google Docs, which is likely not Apple's fault).

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
@Spudlicious I agree with you regarding the track pad being the best in the market of laptops, however my question was specifically regarding Force Touch which I find practically useless.

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas on how it could be applied to tasks to make it more useful? It sort of seems underutilized to me... for example, I would like a "deep click" to open a web link in a private tab...

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
@Spudlicious I agree with you regarding the track pad being the best in the market of laptops, however my question was specifically regarding Force Touch which I find practically useless.
My main point is that because I don't use a mouse with my Mac I find Force Touch excellent, but I can see that for someone with a mouse under their hand it's irrelevant.

Reactions: Tarek

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Don't you technically use force touch every time you press the trackpad and it clicks?

I mostly use a mouse on the MacBook, but as far as trackpads go it's the best one I've used.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.