Does Anyone Have Both an iPhone and Droid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Mar 19, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I was debating on picking up the Thunderbolt to use as a backup phone and use the wireless hot spot for my laptop and iPad when away from home for work.

Am I ridiculous for thinking of doing this? Anyone have any pros/cons to having both?

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

3. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Don't bother with the thunderbolt, it's a phone that's going to be outdated very shortly. Besides, I don't see why you would. The new iOS 4.3 enables tethering. Just plug your phone into your computer to charge when you tether, and you don't have to worry about draining the battery too much. If you really feel like you need a backup phone, you could always get some cheaper Android phone - God knows how many cheap, low quality Android phones there are - and use it as a backup. Waste of money IMO.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Does screwing around with the Android SDK count? :D

As to your question, OP, I would suggest you just buy a cheap, older Android device for a backup phone. And, as has already been said, you could already tether with your iPhone, and now with iOS 4.3 you can use your iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot for multiple devices.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A backup phone? For what?

Sounds like an excuse for you go to pick one up - but hey, if it works for you.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I need two phones, so YES, I do have an iPhone 4 and an HTC Gratia (an european version of HTC Asia, with Android 2.2).

A nice combination

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Well, the reason I don't want to tether the iPhone is I don't want to go off of my unlimited data plan. If it wasn't for that I would do it in a second.

The reason I was thinking of the Thunderbolt was because I could then tether at 4g.

Any thoughts?

8. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I've had the iPhone as my primary phone for the past few years, but I would like to have some kind of Android phone to play around with. I haven't figured out a cost-effective way to do so yet, though.

9. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

My idea was to go on a family plan now with my wife on Verizon, then in June add the iPhone 5 on verizon(assuming it comes out for it) and selling my current iPhone 4 to Gazelle. All in all I think that would be the cheapest way since it would only be $10.00 for the 3rd phone. I really also wouldn't need data on the iPhone, as I could sync it to the droid and use it that way, lol

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I know a lot of people who own Samsung Galaxy S, Motorola Droid, etc. and own iPod Touches at the same time. Utterly no point in doing that, though.

11. enohpi addict macrumors newbie

Yeah I got both, I personally like the iPhone better but Android is awesome too.
    :apple: all the way

12. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I can't keep my unlimited while having tethering, correct?

13. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

The thunderbolt is $250 on contract. For that extra $50 you get......nothing special. Seriously, not even a duel core processor is in this. Either go with something else like the Droid X or just wait a little while for a 4g duel core processor to land on Verizon. I won't be long, there's a new android phone released just about every other day(especially on verizon)

14. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Yeah, it sure seems like it. And it doesn't seem like they update the O/S that often. But I don't follow it that closely either.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

First of all, lets get off this "droid" naming. It's Android unless you are specially talking about one of Verizon's phones.

But back to the question, yes I've carried both Android and iphone phones with me on/off since the original G1 plus my combo of the lastest iphone at that time.

For the past 9 months I've carried both the Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) plus my iphone 4. I have both Tmobile and ATT service so have the luxury.

Some say it's overkill but the iPhone 4 still has huge sensor issues (even after all the 4xx updates). So I still don't trust making important business calls with my iphone 4. That's why I carried the Samsung with me. But Samsung Vibrant's RF is even worse than the iphone 4 (but it doesn't have the same sensor problem as iphone 4).

But Android is still a little behind the iphone software. It's close but it's still not there.

After my 2.2 froyo update on my Samsung Vibrant, the phone became faster, browsing was faster than the iphone 4 (they essentially use the same Hummingbird 1GZ chip since Samsung makes Apple's chips). But Android crashes a lot and you get a lot of "forced closed" messages.

So I sold my Samsung last week, back to my blackberry bold 9700 for tmobile plus my iphone 4 for ATT. Now that's the perfect combination.

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I own 2 iPhone 4's, 1 iPhone 3G, and about 12 Android phones including 2 HTC Incredibles, 1 EVO, 1 LG Optimus V, 2 Samsung Vibrants, 2 Motorola Droids, 1 Motorola Defy, 3 Palm Pre Plus, 1 Palm Pixi Plus, the first generation iPad, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I think that I have a good number of Droids.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

If I was going to "dual wield" a second phone for business it would definitely be a BlackBerry.

18. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I would have to agree there. I would purchase a blackberry over an Android device any day.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

that was true a year ago, IMHO ...

20. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

if u want 4g u gotta make sure u have a 4g tower nearby.

21. LunarFalcon macrumors member

Do you have any tips for finding Android phones that are off-contract and affordable?

22. kicko macrumors 65816

I have a incredible up for grab$.

Androids are really good phones but for me the iphone has better video/camera and nicer apps. The biggest issue for me and a lot of android users is the battery life in most of these devices suck, that includes the thunderbolt. I spoke with someone that bought one last week and it barely makes it through the day. Thats not taking a shot at android but clearly manufacturers could ship these devices with better batteries and i refuse to buy an extended battery thats big and bulky.

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

The most affordable off contract Android I use is the Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. Loving it as my backup phone.

24. rioja macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

At one point I had iPhone 4, nexus one, desire z and Desire HD. I know, totally ridiculous! I'm now down to iPhone 4 and the HD, going to get rid of the HD soon.

iPhone 4 handles all my needs the best. Great keyboard, apps, awesome screen, reliable calling (on Rogers), fastest 3G speeds and best camera/video of the bunch. I use it day to day and just fool around with the HD on weekends.

If you prefer Android, stick with it... or vice-versa for iPhone. Owning both is unnecessary for most people.

25. drew68 macrumors newbie

I have both, samsung captivate and the 3gs. I have to admit, android has really grown on me. If you like to really get into customization of the roms then android is the way to go but ios is the smoothest, easiest os out there.