Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
So if you iPhone is accidently damaged you can get a relacement from Apple for $200 no questions asked?

I find that hard to believe.

How is BB a rip off? At $108/year with no deductible compared to state farm?

Marc

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So if you iPhone is accidently damaged you can get a relacement from Apple for $200 no questions asked?

I find that hard to believe.

How is BB a rip off? At $108/year with no deductible compared to state farm?

Marc

Didn't we just cover this.

First: It's 180 dollars a year (do the math, 15*12 =180. Basically 15 dollars a month x 12 months in a year). I already said this, try your calculator since you seem to keep refusing to believe me on this. Which is 20 dollars less than a refurb through Apple (now granted, this is just judging on what people have said when they bring in their broken phone to Apple. It's what they told my roommate when he brought his broken phone in). Personally, I'd rather risk losing the 20 dollars advantage (only if you break your phone within a year. After a year and 2 months you start paying more for Best Buy's insurance than just having apple replace it) than risk losing 180 dollars (or more) on a plan I may never have to use. It's called weighing the risks and benefits.

Second: Did you not read my last reply to you. There is no deductable!!! Even with a 50 dollar deductable it's still 80 dollars cheaper than Best Buy. Shoot, you'd have to have a 130 dollar deductable to make it hte same price. On top of that, even if it did have a deductable, you only lose more money if you have to use it (no one says you'd ever use either plan. The reason Best Buy or State Farm even offer these is they know that they will make more money off of people who don't use the plan than lose on those who do! Insurance of any sort pretty much equates to gambling with the insurance company weighing the benefits in their favor. The company is gambling that you'll never use the plan and they get free money. You're gambling that you will use the plan and that you won't lose more money than you would if you didn't have the plan).

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
inal Post:
I work in Geek Squad (say whatever you want but making $13 dollars an hour as a college freshman is pretty good) and I am the one who process the iphones.

1. It is Rapid Exchange. You bring your phone in and any damage or problems with it we will send it out. (Except stolen or submerged in water.)
2. In about 3-7 days you will get a refurbished unit back. (Apples refurbs are as good as new. Only difference is box, you even get new accessories with it.)
3. It's $15 bucks a month which may be more expensive then your insurance company however, I would like to see an insurance company get you a new phone or the money for one within 3 days. Maybe its possible, but all I know is best buy sells tons of these any usually at least 1-3 phones are brought in a day to get sent out. Best Buy is a business and they are trying to make money.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
They probably will give you a new iPhone, i would say get the replacement now put on screen protector and a case on that badboy instantly and i think when you upgrade it will be in perfect condition

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Um, do you realize you posted this twice? I'm really hoping this was some snafu and not you trying to make sure you have final say by keeping copying and pasting the same thing after some one else posts.

inal Post:
I work in Geek Squad (say whatever you want but making $13 dollars an hour as a college freshman is pretty good) and I am the one who process the iphones.

1. It is Rapid Exchange. You bring your phone in and any damage or problems with it we will send it out. (Except stolen or submerged in water.)
2. In about 3-7 days you will get a refurbished unit back. (Apples refurbs are as good as new. Only difference is box, you even get new accessories with it.)
3. It's $15 bucks a month which may be more expensive then your insurance company however, I would like to see an insurance company get you a new phone or the money for one within 3 days. Maybe its possible, but all I know is best buy sells tons of these any usually at least 1-3 phones are brought in a day to get sent out. Best Buy is a business and they are trying to make money.

SOPRANOS

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
I UNDERSTAND ONE THING YOU ARE A ASS THAT THINKS JUST BECAUSE BEST BUY MAKES A PROFIT IT IS OK TO SCAM THEM. PLUS THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU A REFURBISHED YOU GET A NEW ONE. PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILL DROP YOUR PHONE JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT A NEW ONE. TRUST ME I DEAL WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU ALL DAY. AND GET A LIFE OVER THE ALL CAPS GEEK. O NO YOU ARE YELLING AT ME HAHA. DO YOU GET IT THAT YOU ARE A ASS.
First of all QUIT POSTING IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!! Seriously, it won't make people take you any more seriously (in fact they are apt to take you a whole lot less seriously if you do that).

Secondly, read this thread again. Read what people have said the Best Buy plan entails. It covers dropping your phone. That is by their terms.

But why do I have a feeling this is going completely over your head.

Once again, as several people have pointed out, it is a plan that covers you if you drop your phone. Otherwords, by Best Buy's own terms, you pay them to give you a refurbished phone if you break yours. They agreed to that term. It is not ripping them off. What would be ripping off is if they decided to tell you they weren't going to do it. Cause you paid them to cover you if you broke the phone. Then they would be ripping you off cause they wouldn't be providing the service that you *PAID* for. What do you think you pay for when you buy one of these plans anyways? Seriously, if you think that dropping your phone by accident and having Best Buy replace it when you bought a replacement plan with them is scamming htem, what do you think you are paying for with that replacement plan? Or do you think that Best Buy needs donations?

Do you understand yet?

:D

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
This thread is a perfect example of how nobody cares about what anyone else is saying.

I'll chime in on the State Farm policy. It is the best plan available and you do not need to be a State Farm policy holder to insure with them for personal article. I did it on my MBP for roughly $25 a year if I recall correctly. However, this policy is exactly what it is, an insurance. If you abuse it, chances are they won't insure you any longer.

On a side note, I don't think State Farm is insuring iPhone anymore due to its cost being below their threshold, which is base on the cost of purchase, not the cost of replacement.

Last but not least, how on earth can anyone justify BB insurance? It doesn't cover loss or water damage, and Apple's first year coverage covers just about everything else. What's not covered in between? Cracked screen is about the only major issue I can think of, and even a cracked phone can still sell for 200+ on eBay. $15 * 12 = $180, which practically doubles the price of your phone. Do the math...is it worth it?

jessicya

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
I just wanted to add my two sense in. Back in December I shattered my 3gs, I have a disorder where I pass out and well I did with my phone in my hand and people were stepping all over it.

Anyways I went to Apple and in less than 5 minutes I had a new phone. It wasn't a "brand new" one it was one of their replacements...... Which is pretty brand new to me. I had to pay 200$ for the 16g and honestly I would rather do that. With the best buy plan you can be paying $360 for two years for no reason at all, and plus 3 days is a long time with no iPhone. When you purchase you iPhone 4 you probably would be better off with out best buy. If it was such a great plan don't you think apple/AT&T would offer it?

whotony

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I have the $15 best buy plan. I'm wondering if I should turn it in now for a refurb or wait till the new iphone comes out.

Does the trade effect the 2 year contract or does it just continue the same just a different phone?

I'm thinking wait till before new phone comes out then trade in the refurb or sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.