Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
For me, the hollow Location Services arrow ONLY appears (and stays constantly on) when my S4 Apple Watch is connected to my phone.

There are no settings in the watch app, as far as I can see, to turn location services off.

try disabling the localization of the dials for apple watch in the iphone, you should solve yours and a different case
[automerge]1570376882[/automerge]
Try turning off find my iPhone in location privacy see if that works

ciao, vedi che mela che gestisce qualcosa da remoto noi nostri iphone! oggi senza fare niente e tutto il giorno che il mio non lo fa il difetto e nessuno quello del ragazzo che sento, in brasile. poi magari domani ricomincia ...

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Try turning off find my iPhone in location privacy see if that works
sorry I wrote in my language .... hello, you see that apple that remotely manages something for us our iphone! today without doing anything and all the day that my fault does not do it and none that of the boy I hear, in Brazil. then maybe tomorrow it starts again ...

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
sorry I wrote in my language .... hello, you see that apple that remotely manages something for us our iphone! today without doing anything and all the day that my fault does not do it and none that of the boy I hear, in Brazil. then maybe tomorrow it starts again ...

Try turning off the find my iPhone in location services to see if it works

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Try turning off the find my iPhone in location services to see if it works
I have already tried to deactivate my iPhone and even exit icloud but it does so. as I strangely said today and all day that one stopped doing it alone. I think something remotely centered .......

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you are seeing a hollow GPS arrow that is generally an app waiting on the "Significant Change Location" service. This isn't wasting battery, its saving battery. Using a few of the features in System Services the app is waiting for you to need the data and not update when you do not need the data.

Turning things off generally doesn't make too much of a difference and can sometimes have negative effects.

Most apps use "Visits Location" and "Significant Change Location" services Apple provides in their Core Location framework. Both of those services are using other methods to obtain your location instead of using the more power-hungry GPS based "Standard Location". Ex. if I have wifi networking on and my iPhone knows my wifi network is my home it never needs to use GPS when I'm here.

Another thing to know is location data is collected by Apples Core Location framework services and then the data is shared to those apps. Core Location works a lot of opportunity too. If you are using a navigation app that is using Standard Location data Core Location takes that opportunity to use that data since its the most precise, when you get to your destination it goes back to using cell networks and wifi networks.

Reactions: Dino F

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
If you are seeing a hollow GPS arrow that is generally an app waiting on the "Significant Change Location" service. This isn't wasting battery, its saving battery. Using a few of the features in System Services the app is waiting for you to need the data and not update when you do not need the data.

Turning things off generally doesn't make too much of a difference and can sometimes have negative effects.

Most apps use "Visits Location" and "Significant Change Location" services Apple provides in their Core Location framework. Both of those services are using other methods to obtain your location instead of using the more power-hungry GPS based "Standard Location". Ex. if I have wifi networking on and my iPhone knows my wifi network is my home it never needs to use GPS when I'm here.

Another thing to know is location data is collected by Apples Core Location framework services and then the data is shared to those apps. Core Location works a lot of opportunity too. If you are using a navigation app that is using Standard Location data Core Location takes that opportunity to use that data since its the most precise, when you get to your destination it goes back to using cell networks and wifi networks.

thanks for the interesting explanation, but apart from just one user, unfortunately we see the black arrow that connects continuously, without it being any app or system service to connect and this is not normal and consumes battery

tahvero

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
I have disabled my location services until this is fixed.

But for me it seems to be related to system services because disabling Location Service indicator for system services ”fixes” this.

The problem for me is that even though I can see the GPS icon in status bar, when I check which service or app used location, none of them have the purple indicator that it was used recently. Sometimes I can see the GPS icon on even when in the Location Services menu. So my phone is telling me that it is using location services while none of the services is actually using it. Either is is showing the icon in the status bar incorrectly or showing the icon in settings incorrectly.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
I have disabled my location services until this is fixed.

But for me it seems to be related to system services because disabling Location Service indicator for system services ”fixes” this.

The problem for me is that even though I can see the GPS icon in status bar, when I check which service or app used location, none of them have the purple indicator that it was used recently. Sometimes I can see the GPS icon on even when in the Location Services menu. So my phone is telling me that it is using location services while none of the services is actually using it. Either is is showing the icon in the status bar incorrectly or showing the icon in settings incorrectly.

the same thing happens to me, we must contact apple by phone and continue to report the problem ios 13.2 beta 1 no resolved

bruno.bmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Same problem here with my iPhone 11 Pro Max! It's annoying. GPS keeps activating over the day draining battery a lot. I tried to uninstall the Weather app, Telegram, and set all my apps to "Always" get my location, to try figure out the bug, but no luck. I've completely disabled my location services, and until now it's "fixed".

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Same problem here with my iPhone 11 Pro Max! It's annoying. GPS keeps activating over the day draining battery a lot. I tried to uninstall the Weather app, Telegram, and set all my apps to "Always" get my location, to try figure out the bug, but no luck. I've completely disabled my location services, and until now it's "fixed".

hello welcome to the club. unfortunately, however it is not right and the location cannot be completely deactivated ......

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
here is the answer I received from Apple via email

practically they don't care and download the problem to someone else

Re: Cogno Diego; Follow-up: 721827608

Hello Cogno,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Apple’s Product Security team. Regarding the issue you reported, we have examined it and determined that it is best addressed via Apple’s Support resources which may be found at https://www.apple.com/support/

Please note that due to the nature and complexity of technical issues, we are not able to provide technical support through email.

Details of available service and support options can be found on the AppleCare Overview web page at: https://www.apple.com/support/products/

Best regards,
Scott
Apple Product Security

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy

hi, have you still tried it? to me now he is doing so much or had to completely disable the localization. an Apple engineer sent me an email and promised to take an interest in the case, I hope he keeps his promise.

bruno.bmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
hi, have you still tried it? to me now he is doing so much or had to completely disable the localization. an Apple engineer sent me an email and promised to take an interest in the case, I hope he keeps his promise.

Hi Diego, I'm keeping my location services permanently disabled, I only enable it again when necessary. It's sad, but it's the only way.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
I have been having battery issues and I just noticed this as well. I can't tell if it is the cause of my battery drain though. See attached pic from last night and the other day. I can't seem to get over 4-6 hours of total battery life.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG-0302.PNG
    IMG-0302.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
Reactions: xxray

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
13.2 beta 2 is out! It’s solve our problem?

Good news guys, I'm working very hard these days, as I told you and I'm in contact with an Aplle engineer in California, actually he contacted me after the fadbaaks. After exchanging several emails and sending him the Ios log and diagnosis files on the iPhone 11 pro and pro max yesterday he replied, giving me good news, which I am attaching here .........

Hi Diego, great news!

The logs you attached to the most recent feedback were sufficient to diagnose what's going on from the perspective of the location arrow behavior, and begin to unravel what might be affecting your experienced battery life.

I can't comment on when exactly a fix might be available to you, unfortunately, but I hope (and expect) it will be very soon. I will try to let you know when it is publicly available. In the meantime, you are probably right to stay on iOS 13.0.

Thanks for all your help in this search!

- Adam Driscoll
[automerge]1570776198[/automerge]
Does anyone else have problem with the GPS in iOS 13.1? Mine seems to be on about 80% of the time.

From Location services settings I have concluded that it is caused by System Services. Problem is that none of the services have purple arrow even though the GPS icon is showing in status bar. Disabling all system services doesn’t solve this as the arrow is still shown in status bar. However tapping the Status Bar Icon option (on system services page) off does work.

I’m not sure if this is bug with GPS or UI showing the arrow icon even when location services is used because it does not seem to use that much battery. However I have disabled all location services for now.

There was a small discussion about this in reddit r/ios but it did not gain much popularity.

I’m using iPhone 11 Pro 256Gb with iOS13.1.
Does anyone else have problem with the GPS in iOS 13.1? Mine seems to be on about 80% of the time.

From Location services settings I have concluded that it is caused by System Services. Problem is that none of the services have purple arrow even though the GPS icon is showing in status bar. Disabling all system services doesn’t solve this as the arrow is still shown in status bar. However tapping the Status Bar Icon option (on system services page) off does work.

I’m not sure if this is bug with GPS or UI showing the arrow icon even when location services is used because it does not seem to use that much battery. However I have disabled all location services for now.

There was a small discussion about this in reddit r/ios but it did not gain much popularity.

I’m using iPhone 11 Pro 256Gb with iOS13.1.

Good news guys, I'm working very hard these days, as I told you and I'm in contact with an Aplle engineer in California, actually he contacted me after the fadbaaks. After exchanging several emails and sending him the Ios log and diagnosis files on the iPhone 11 pro and pro max yesterday he replied, giving me good news, which I am attaching here .........

Hi Diego, great news!

The logs you attached to the most recent feedback were sufficient to diagnose what's going on from the perspective of the location arrow behavior, and begin to unravel what might be affecting your experienced battery life.

I can't comment on when exactly a fix might be available to you, unfortunately, but I hope (and expect) it will be very soon. I will try to let you know when it is publicly available. In the meantime, you are probably right to stay on iOS 13.0.

- Adam Driscoll
[automerge]1570776209[/automerge]

Hi Diego, great news!

- Adam Driscoll

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.