Does anyone no the programing language - Processing

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by colour, Oct 17, 2009.

1. colour macrumors regular

Im looking into learning this?

Has anyone has any expirience using this programing language ?

2. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Sure, I've heard of this Processing language.... I've seen some of its code examples and used some of it too. I do a decent amount of data visualization in the courses I teach. I do not teach Processing myself, but I have several colleagues who do use it and teach it too.

Processing is breaking into the mainstream in several areas of application, it seems to me. There are several good books, so the documentation is relatively easy to find now.

What do you need to know?

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

sure. Processing is simply an extension to the Java programming language... it is a programming language designed for visual people.

A lot of my students choose processing for their student projects... it handles 3d far better than As3. It also has some nice sound synthesis libraries.

Processing has a great community, and is very student centered.

Many of my students use processing to learn programming, then find it easy to switch over to actionscript as there is not a large market for paid web programming projects in Processing.

4. colour thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies.

im a design / visual communication student at university,
    i have worked with allot of as2 in web/interactive/interface design over a few years,

for a year long research project next year im looking into exploring experimental information visualisation

im, looking into exploring processing …..some of the works out there are incredible like ben fry's.

does any one have experience in both flash as and processing ?
    what do you think is strong in data / information representation ?