Does Anyone NOT Have a Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RawBert, May 5, 2010.

?

Do You Own/Have a Cell Phone?

1. Yes, I have a cell phone. C'mon, it's 2010 for crying out loud!

76 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. No, I don't have a cell phone.

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

This poll is gonna be so one-sided.

I'm asking because I wonder if there's anyone here (in modern society) who doesn't own or have a cell phone, besides me.

I love tech. I love gadgets and information. I like people, in general. Not anti-social at all. The reason I don't want a cell phone is simply that I just don't like talking on the phone. I used to when I was younger, but no more. In fact, I had a cell phone that :)D) my Mom got me about 5 years ago and I rarely used it. The only calls I make are from work to my wife and just for a couple of minutes and a few times a day. That's the extent.

So, vote if you have a phone or not and maybe your opinions too.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I can understand that. I very rarely use my iPhone for calls, but my mom wants me to have a cell phone (you know, just in case). I do however use the data plan all the time. Tethering, posting on here while I'm at school :D, everything.

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I couldn't imagine going back to no cell phones. When I leave my phone at home I "freak out" because I always thing well what if something happens in the car and I can't call anyone or for any other reasons... No having my cell phone on me is honestly like being on a coaster and the harnesses not locking... I just feel so naked - so unsafe.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Nope, no cell phone. Never had one, never even used one. Just don't have a need for one. We do have a land line, but that's hardly ever used, used so little that we don't even have long distance service on it. Oh, and I'm old enough to remember when phones had dials and the operator was a real person. :eek:

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have one but its very old. I only use it for phoning one person and so others can get hold of me.
    So I have one but I'm not caught up in that mad world of texting, browsing etc on a phone. It's a Razr and still going strong.

7. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I held out as long as I could (until 2002 or so). I don't really use it much anymore and when I do I normally text. I should probably get a really good texting phone with the most basic plan. I don't like them because I hate being connected 24/7. It seems like I can't get any privacy because everyone wants to know what you are doing, where you are, when you'll be getting home, etc. If I wasn't married with a kid I would probably not have one now.

8. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I have a cell phone that is prepaid, but I will let the account go "dormant" as I don't use it very much.

Basically, the plan requires $20 every 90 days to be active. If you don't pay in that time period, you have 60 days to re-activate before losing your phone number. So I have gone into that time period twice in the last year. I always re-activated about 30 days into that 60 day period, but because I was expecting to use the phone again.

I have a landline without a long distance plan. So I use the cell phone for my few long distance calls (to family) at the "obligated times" around holidays or birthdays. That is what necessitates re-activating the cell account by certain dates. Otherwise, I would've gone further into the 60 day period to save money. The 90 day clock starts when you re-activate, so one could spend $20 every 150 days, although 2/5 is unusable.

I can easily afford the payments to keep a cell phone active all the time, but I don't like the idea of 'wasting' that money. I've heard my carrier is about to announce new data plans which might make me get a new phone that works better for data. Then I might be willing to use the phone more often.

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I am currently in between cell phones after having Verizon for almost ten years and after one late payment they reassigned my number without so much as an email to let me know. I currently use Voice to screen my calls until I can pick up a new iPhone in the summer, or a 3GS.

So to answer the question, no, I do not have a cell phone.. but will have one again shortly.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$25/year for a pay as you go phone that I never use.

11. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I carry two cell phones. My work verizon phone and my personal phone an iPhone. A lot of the time I'll leave the work phone at home or in the car but if i ever forget my iPhone I feel naked and get kinda bent out of shape. I couldn't imagine not having one. Especially with texting being so convenient because my girlfriend and i can talk throughout the day without having the phone to our ears 24/7. I also work in the cell phone industry so it's kinda a given to have to have one. :rolleyes:

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No mobile phone here. I actually enjoy being unobtainable occasionally ;)

13. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I have a mobile and no other phone. I don't like talking on the phone and don't use it much, but I do have it on me almost always. One time I got stuck on an unpopulated island in bad weather and couldn't make it back to the mainland in my little boat, called out for a pickup and made it home that night. It's the only time I've used my phone for an emergency and the reason I'll always have it in a dry bag when I go out.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a cell phone, in fact, it's really the only phone I use. I have a landline only because I get it free through work. I'd never pay for it though. I hardly ever use it and no one even has the number.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They've started doing that in the UK too. You shouldn't have to top up X amount a month or year for a PAYG phone. PAYG (as it used to be here) meant total freedom to pay however much or little as you want.
    I haven't topped up my PAYG phone in years. The moment Vodafone enforce payments I'm out of there.

16. Reventon macrumors 6502

I have a cheap pay as you go phone right now. But, may replace it with an iPhone 4G this summer.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I finally begrudgingly got one in October because I had to. I hate it. I wish cell phones would die. They are evil.

18. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Evil is the woman jabbering away on the phone to keep her mind off the boring task of driving, the dozens of clonebots between you and the stage making a futile attempt at taking a cellphoto of musical talent in a dark club, the acquaintance checking his facebook on iphone every three minutes while you're there in person trying to relay actual information, the jackass on the otherwise quiet traincar loudly discussing in detail why last night's sex was bad as if wherever he is at any given moment is the privacy of his own home because he's on a phone, and that's as much as his attention can hold. Portable communication isn't inherently evil, it's how people abuse it. I feel the same about the internet.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Cell phones have made the stupid and rude even more so.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

I see your opinion of them has improved in the time you've owned one then...
    ;):D

21. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Agreed. I liked that.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well said.

As for who doesn't have a cell phone...

I have a Japanese friend who has never had a cell phone. He's a EE type with a Masters and designs specialized ICs.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Nah, I don't have a cell phone. All I have is this little pocket computer that lets me surf the web, play games, stream live video, remote back into my home network...wait, this thing is a PHONE as well? Huh, how about that.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

No cell phone either. The only phone I use at home is a old AT&T rotary phone.:) I've got those fancy pulse dial and touch tone phones for the rest of the family to use, since they won't touch my POS phone.:D I'll only use my rotary phone. If I ever get a cell phone I think it'll be this one.

25. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

At the moment this is the 1st time in like 9 years since i have been without a mobile phone because my iphone has died 6 days ago :( but I should have it back by Tuesday :) lets hope.