Does anyone NOT have the staining (coating) damage on their MBP Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andysc, Apr 9, 2015.

1. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

Wondering if anyone DOES NOT have the staining damage issue (anti reflective coating wearing off) with their MBP Retina? And how long have you had it? Wondering how prevalent the issue is vs those who do have it. Looking to pick up a 2015 MBP later this week. Thanks.

2. dyt1983, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Does anyone NOT have the staining (coating) damage on their MBP Retina?

Don't have it.
    Have my rMBP 13" since launch in Late 2013 and everything is perfect.
    I even cleaned the display one or two times with those "bad" wet display cleaning cloths (the ones with chemicals etc).
    Otherwise I use a microfibre cloth -sometimes without, sometimes with a little bit of water.
    Screen is perfectly fine, no coating issues. Guess I have a lucky unit ;)

4. jgerry macrumors member

Late 2013 rMBP 15" here, had since new. No issue here.

5. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Nothing here. Had it since February the 19th this year. Not a single dot of a mark on the whole machine. :D

Edit; this should have a poll.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Nothing here. Most don't. This is just a very small percentage of folks.

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I go to a college campus, so there are plenty of rMBPs around as you can imagine. Haven't seen one with the coating issue, and my late 2013 that I purchased in early 2014 doesn't have this issue as well.

This is a forum, where people come to complain. Issues are going to seem blown out of proportion even if 0.5% of users have the problem.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I just got my MBPr, but I know three coworkers with MBPrs ranging from 2012-2014. None of them have the issue.

9. andysc thread starter macrumors regular

andysc

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I figured the results may be skewed because most people post issues/complaints on forums but we never hear from people who never have problems.

FYI, I added a poll to the thread.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't, late 2013 13" retina. Didn't know this was an issue.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I'm on my second one. My mid-2012 launch rMBP never had that problem at all. It just fell apart in other ways lol

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've had two late-2013 rMBPs since their launch and they've not staingated on me yet.

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have a late 2013. No problem here. But I don't wipe down my screen often. I use a touch free duster that blows air. It works well.

14. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I gently wipe my display with a monitor spray cleaner and microfiber cloth once a month and have no damage.

15. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

I have a late 2013 MBPr 15", with no screen coating problems. What I have learnt about screens is: don't touch them unless you really have to (except when it gets dusty, in which case wipe it off - gently - with a microfibre cloth). As for that one particle of dust that stays even after you've wiped it - which then leaves another one somewhere else - just walk away.

Keep your laptop away from food like oranges that squirt when you eat them (it's amazing how much food flies around when you eat). I always put a tea towel over the keyboard when I eat anywhere near it, and push it to the other side of the table so it is out of reach and not able to get messy. I have tea towels stained by Oyster sauce but my keyboard is pristine. :D I use a separate trackpad for navigation and am happy for it to get dirty as it can easily be cleaned/replaced if required.

On the rare occasions I have found something splashed onto the screen, I got a cotton bud dipped in water and cleaned just those spots. Then finished it off with a microfibre. I would NEVER use a damp cloth all over the screen because, to me, they are never the same afterwards; water stains. I also don't trust cleaning products.

16. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Mid-2012 15" rMBP purchased on launch day. No issues with the the screen or coating.

17. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what issue you guys are referring to, but here was my experience with something similar (or maybe the same issue?). My MPRr (2012 1st gen model) started getting brown splotches on the screen after running in clamshell mode, while hooked up to a monitor. I opened up and looked inside, and noticed the glue was melting that held the rubber flaps over the fans. I brought it into Apple and demanded a replacement. They gave me a brand new model (it was the mid cycle refreshed model too!).

18. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the people this "staingate" thing is happening to do something very specific to their screens without realizing it. Whether its wiping it with a solution... maybe using hard tap water... perhaps putting their Macbooks in a book bag compressing the screen with keyboard harder, etc. I know it happened to a lot of people apparently, but I don't think its something that's in any way inevitable for everyone else.

19. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I have a 2012 build to order unit ordered on launch day, never any issues with the screen at all. I clean the display regularly, but just with a microfibre cloth and on rare occasions a little water.

20. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

The poll option mentions MacBook Airs as well. This is deceptive, they don't come with the same coating as the retina MacBooks and thus falsify the results.

21. leman macrumors 604

This 'issue' is very similar to all other 'issues': completely overblown out of proportion. Get the laptop, they are great. If it turns out to be a fluke — which is always possible, with any kind of product! — Apple has one of the best customer services out there.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So far my 2012 rMBP is showing no signs of reflective coating coming off.

23. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I voted No in the poll, because on my personal machines I've not seen the problem. However, at work, we've had several pass through the Help Desk where the coating has been rubbed off around the camera. I'm thinking this has to due with the users putting tape over the camera

24. Quantus macrumors regular

Could oil from fingers wear the coating? Some of the staingate screens show impressions of individual keys, the touchpad and fingerprints.

Most users don't wipe their keyboard or touchpad with a microfiber cloth, but it's probably a good idea. Also a good idea is to clean or buy new cloths. Wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem is chemical/oil buildup on the cloth itself.

25. =E= macrumors regular

=E=