Does anyone only have AppleTV - no cable?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nighthawk67, Dec 9, 2016.

1. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

I have never owned an AppleTV, but was thinking about getting one and getting rid of cable I mostly only watch Netflix anyway hardly any news or live TV the only thing I would really miss is sports and I watch a lot of sports... are there any sports guys out there who only use AppleTV and how do you get by?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Have not had cable in over 15 years. I have AppleTV to watch downloaded movies and the occasional Netflix show. Watched most of college football games by steaming them or being invited to a friend's house or going to a local pub. I do not typically watch any other sports.

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

No cable tv. 60/15 cable internet.

1 ATV4, 1 ATV3.

Primary uses are Netflix, Hulu, HBO, YouTube, HDHomeRun + Channels App, and iTunes Home Sharing.

5. jdag macrumors 6502a

I use a similar setup and it works great. Probably the biggest difference is that I use Plex instead of iTunes Home Sharing.

In my opinion, the choice of streaming box is much less important than determining the way you will use the box and the services you want.

For instance, if you have a lot of iTunes content, then an AppleTV likely makes sense. If you want to use AirPlay, again an AppleTV should be under consideration. If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber and want to use Prime content, then a FireTV might make more sense for you.

Finally, if you want to use an off-air antenna, then I would highly recommend the AppleTV + HDHomeRun tuner + Channels app.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I've been thinking about changing to Plex. Just haven't gotten around to finding the time really.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

I moved to Plex 100% about a year ago, shortly after getting the ATV4. The Plex app on the ATV is fantastic. And, Plex allows me to serve up to some family members outside of my home.

I do technically still use iTunes. I just pointed my Plex Server to the same media files as iTunes uses.

8. hnic247 macrumors member

hnic247

i have had no cable for quite some time now. Sideload kodi onto it and all your problems are solved. Or if you don't want to go that route download a app called Livemediaplayer they have free PPV (shhh) and live tv/sports. Last thing i did was get the login information from a friend for DISH. Every channel has a app basically and you can log in through dish or another cable provider.

9. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I've noticed my comcast bill randomly increased. I may explore cancelling their service again.

10. Richard8655, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

No cable TV here for years, and only using ATV and an antenna. I consider an antenna to watch live broadcast TV as a necessity to keep current with local and national news. Recently subscribed to Sling TV mostly for CNN.

I bypassed the whole TiVo thing in favor of the $35 Mediasonic Homeworx as OTA tuner and HD recorder. I didn't like the high cost of the TiVo and those monthly fees. The Homeworx takes care of all my OTA recording and playback needs very well.

11. Timothy Leo Crowley macrumors member

haven't had cable in years. haven't missed it a bit. apple tv does everything I need.

12. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I cut the cord a while ago. I use Apple TV, Tivo OTA for local channels, stream HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Spend about $70 a month.

To be honest, for movies I have been using Amazon Prime mostly. Hardly ever use AppleTV anymore.

13. rusty2192, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Sports is tough without any sort of cable service. An antenna will get you anything on the OTA broadcast networks, but no ESPN, etc. What you can do during sports season is sign up for Sling or the new DirecTV Now just for the months of whatever sport you watch. You can then cancel it until the next season starts, so it should still save a lot of money vs cable. If I didn't have access to logins from family with cable, that's what I would be doing.

DirecTV Now is doing a deal where if you prepaid for 3 months of service you got a free ATV 4. https://directvnow.com/appletv

14. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I personally don't have cable. I have high speed internet and Netflix with Hulu. That is all I need! I honestly have never had cable. I'm only 23 and haven't been on my own for long, but I have always hated to wait for a show to come on or record a show so I can watch it later. I really enjoy the on demand aspect. Haha

15. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Me! I've been a cord cutter for about 8-years now..

Here is what I have and use:

1. Mohu Antenna for OTA channels
    2. Apple TV 4th Gen
    3. Tivo Roamio OTA DVR
    4. DirectTV Now service
    5. Netflix

I pay $35 a month for Now and $8 a month for Netflix. Total = $43 a month. :)

16. Soondae macrumors member

Soondae

I'm an Expat so yes I only use the ATV4 for my viewing pleasure. The only way to watch sports of which I am an avid fan, is to have MLB.TV and NFL gamepass subscriptions. I use Sling TV also which is great for live broadcasts on NBC, ESPN and FOX. Sling TV is really reliable now, I am very happy with my subscription. Quality of streams is superior to using the NBCSports APP and FoxSports APPs.

17. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

Or you could just get both the Apple Tv and the Fire Tv.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Ditto and add in a phone land line.

19. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

For professional sports all of the major sports leagues such as MLB, NBA, Hockey and MLS offer streaming packages via an app on Apple TV for not too unreasonable prices. NFL is lagging behind as their only streaming package is Gamepass which only lets you watch games after they are over. I don't know if there are similar packages for college sports.

20. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Also have not had cable for about 7 years. Don't miss being assaulted by commercials or the high monthly cost. Apple tv and Roku. Have MLB subscription as We like watching baseball.

21. jdag macrumors 6502a

Of course you could get multiple boxes. But that's becoming less important as there is considerable overlap in offerings on each. Amazon Prime being probably the #1 hole in the AppleTV lineup.

The point of my post was not to pump up any single device over another. They all have pros and cons. The point was to advise that when comparing the boxes, you step back and consider your specific use case and preferences.

To add to it, having 1 box is really nice. In fact, the only box I have connected to each of my TVs is an AppleTV. So no input switching. No calls when I am traveling that sound is not working (because the input is incorrect). Etc.

22. tanfan macrumors regular

After many years of Directv, I cut the cord 4 or 5 years ago. Put up an antenna and hooked up a Tablo, that works well. About every bluray now days comes with a UV code, and you can buy codes cheap so I built up a large library that I access thru Vudu. Apple tv has itunes, Fire tv has Amazon, but only Roku has just about all of them including Amazon, Vudu, Google play, Fandango now......so Roku works best for me.

23. jdag macrumors 6502a

I bought a new Roku Stick for my son a couple of weeks ago to replace his old Roku Stick. The new one is vastly superior, just way way faster. And I really like the customizable screens (aside from the ads) compared to the FireTV interface. I find the FireTV way too busy.

24. JeffPerrin, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

No cable (TV) here for years, thanks to Apple TV, BUT... internet-only costs from Comcast keep creeping up (they have a monopoly on broadband internet in our area). We get by fine with OTA, Netflix, and iTunes rentals and purchases.

Lately I've noticed some networks are also starting to upload tvOS apps that let you watch their shows for free, but with commercials. (We have FOX, ABC, CW, PBS)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    Oh, I forgot to mention there are podcasts too. Coincidentally, the latest episode of the iOS Today podcast tackles the topic of "cordcutting."

https://twit.tv/shows/ios-today/episodes/323?autostart=false

25. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Doesn't Tivo cost $15 a month as well?