Does anyone regret buying rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Dec 23, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I spent so much money for this baby... Not sure if I like my decision... I'm constantly worried if this thing breaks, I just wasted a lot of money. Do u guys find that rMBP price is justified?

2. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I sold mine and I miss it :( if you can afford it don't worry about it.

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Yes. And don't worry, be happy. It's only $2200-3000, that's not a lot of money comparing how much money you are going to waste in the next decades. Just enjoy it and relax. If you've bought it in the last 30 days, go and purchase Squaretrade insurance on your rMBP, so no matter what, you're covered. It won't be cheap, but if that would rest your mind, enjoy it.

4. AluminumMB macrumors regular

5. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I feel a little regret now after I received my top tiered 27" iMac. For the past week I have been using my iMac nonstop and barely even touched my rMBP, although I'm sure once school starts again I will be using it more frequently.

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I just grabbed a 15". I had a 13" rMBP and I regretted buying that one because of the cost. I figured I might as well go big or go home. Great computer.

7. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

I have a BTO 15" rMBP. It is easily the best computer I have ever used. For someone who spends 8-10 hours on the computer every day, I have 0 regrets!

8. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

May as well buy a used rMBP -- they're arguably just as good as the brand new thing.

Fanboy logic at it's finest.

9. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

Whats BTO?

10. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Built to order. In other words, He customized it when he was ordering it online.

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Same situation here. No regrets at all... :D

12. Livewings macrumors regular

Wait. I thought that was CTO. Customized To Order

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

BTO is correct

I dont regret buying my rMBP I still have until Jan 24th to return which I will be doing. I was able to use for 3 months for free :) - Just not willing to pay that much for it - mine has a few issues.

14. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Depends how you look at it... You actually went big ( price-wise ) with the 13" rMBP too. Just saying... ;)

15. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Ι actually consider the 15 inch retina base model a BARGAIN.

Yep you heard me, I consider it being in a very very good price, always in terms of what tech you get for that money.

I can find no other laptop that has what the retina base model has at that price.

SSD, 8gb ram, quad core i7, gt 650m (overclocked), retina display, etc

No other laptop can offer all that in such a compelling price.

PS: Note that I am talking about the base model.

16. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

At this point I do not regret it. It took 4 tries to get one that was made right, but once that was settled and the updates to the UI graphics performance came out, it's been the best computer I ever owned.

My quibbles:

The battery life is good but not great. I'm pretty much guaranteed 3 hours on battery given my work tasks, which is good considering the machines features, but 6-8 hours would enable me to do a full days work without plugging in.

The keyboard is just a bit on the clunky side. But the action of the keys provide good feedback. It's easy to type on but not comfortable to type on for long periods day in and day out.

The headphone out is disappointing.

17. jangozo macrumors member

+1.

In the end it's all about getting a machine which you'll enjoy using. I was due a new laptop for 2 years but the thought of just getting a better spec windows laptop sounded like a waste of money. It wouldn't have any thing majorly different, I'd be thinking "oh yeah, it's faster than the last one" big whoop. Plus the thought of using windows 8 on a non-touchscreen display was giving me nightmares. I needed to get something that would not be just a spec upgrade, something that would return the fun in using a laptop and for me that was the rMBP. It's expensive but with proper budgeting for a several months, I was able to afford it.

18. Haifisch macrumors regular

I have no regrets. Thankfully, I have no problems with mine, other than the case creaks when you press on the underside in the center. No IR, no lags, no bugs, no scroll lag.

Since I had a 2010 Air, I didn't want another one. I didn't want go halfway and get a non-retina display. 15" is a far better value than the 13" so, really, there was only one computer for me. I do get envious of the size of the 13"..........

Was it expensive? Yes. But I spend hours everyday on it and it is the center of my digital universe, so I deserve it :)

19. lightz39 macrumors regular

My friends always bug me about my apple purchases. Saying I'm wasting money. There are better things I could spend it on. etc... Way I see it I use these things every day of my life. I've spent more on stuff I never or rarely use.

20. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

rMBP is the 5th Mac Laptop I have owned, and hands down the best. No faults, light, fast and quiet with a beautiful screen.

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I was going back and forth trying to decide whether to buy a rmbp or iMac .. Ended up getting the iMac but still want a rmbp even though it prolly makes more sense to get a MBA

22. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

anyone find that the 15 is too big?

cant make up my mind between a 13 or 15. I love the size of the 13 as i will bring it with me everywhere. Though, the screen does feel crammed at times.

15 might be a little too big to have with me everywhere? (grad school/work/friends/etc)

23. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple has always been known for charging high prices, it's like taking medicine, just pay it & get it over with. LOL

I love mine, bought AppleCare, so no worries for three years then dump it and buy a new one.

You didn't waste money, you got a great computer.

Plus you paid handsomely for that Apple logo, enjoy it :D

24. Mdwall macrumors member

At first yes I did regret it. Once I opened it and started playing around with it, not at all.
    I regretted even less once I got best buy to price match a one day amazon sale for the hi end model at 2400.00. I think for what it offers in terms of tech aesthetics and form factor it's a reasonable price.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I ordered mine the moment the 15" rMBP became available and I don't regret the decision one bit - awesome computer :)