Does anyone regularly use two MacBooks side by side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonathanm1222, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jonathanm1222 macrumors member

I have a 15" mbp and am considering the new retina 13" mbp to use along side. Is this idea unheard of or is it preferable to buy an iMac as the main desktop?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure I've used computer side-by-side. I've had 3-4 computer during development; one running Windows, the other running OS X; also had a tablet computer that I used.

Anyways I would get a desktop, or maybe an external monitor instead.

3. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Unheard of?

Never seen NASA Control or NASDAQ or ... perhaps rephrase question.

Many here am sure have multiple "boxes" at home. While I have 1 screen in front of my I would virtual desktop to my server box and submit a video conversion job, which can take a while, then I disconnect from it and back to my laptop and keep surfing.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What does this have anything to do with throwing money away?

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I run two MacBook Air's side by side in general and one of those has a 21" secondary display.

7. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Sure I heard of it even better I seen many Dj's do this...Here is a pic of my friends Dj Setup with two 15' Mac Book Pro's... =)

[​IMG]

8. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

I run multiple computers side by-side.

MacMini 8GB running 10.5.8 w/ a 24" Dell
    2012 iMac 27" w/ 32GB RAM , SSD Thunderbolt boot , 10.8.2 with a 30" Dell
    2012 13" MBP w/ 16B RAM / Dual SSD
    Thinkpad T420 w/ 16GB RAM running Ubuntu

TWO Fujitsu low profile servers with 32GB RAM each running Ubuntu or booted in ESXi hosting about 40 different VMs.

These are all on the same desk.

I have certain work that needs to be isolated.
    So I often have OSX 10.8 installed on SSD drives that I boot from via USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

Content is saved for specific for clients. Security related.
    I can take the SSD home and work from home.

I can see myself cutting down on just 2 Macbook Pros.

9. Prof., Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I do all the time when I work on my social statistics homework. The IBM program isn't compatible with Mountain Lion, so I have to use both my MBP to type of my reports, and the white one to process the data.

Pardon the messy table. :eek:

Attached Files:

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Depends what kinda work you're doing. But it can certainly be helpful - I sometimes use my MacBook Pro on my lap and a crappy Dell netbook on the couch alongside :)

11. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Teleport http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/ would be a MUCH better practice than two MacBooks side by side. Laptops are clunky, they take space on your table and you have keyboard and trackpad twice. It is also hard aligning them, so that you'll always have to turn from one to the other, having either both or one not right in front of you. Even worse if you use external mice/keyboards, you'll constantly get confused, using the wrong mouse etc.

I had such a setup once, one Mac Pro with a large screen and next to it my MacBook on a stand. Used teleport and could use one mouse and one keyboard for both of them. Can only recommend that.

12. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I have an MBP (17") and an MBA as well as my iMac....They work fine together, and it's pretty common for people to own more than one...They say if you stand the retina up against a cMBP the difference is staggering...CAn't vouch for that one though.

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Double stupid vision.

Umm - yah, no. Three thunderbolt displays with a 17" MacBook Pro. Or if my husband isn't using his 13" MacBook Pro, I'll have a few things open on his while working on a few more things on my 17". But that is just wasteful.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

To piggy back on what I said earlier, I think what I'm going to end up doing is buying either an iMac or Thunderbolt display to go along with my MBP when I enter graduate school. The more screen space, the better! :D

16. stuaz macrumors 6502

Is your reasoning in getting a Thunderbolt display for the extra ports or is it because it is an Apple monitor? They are very over priced, and if you are just after extra space you could spend your money more wisely I think.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I just think it's pretty lol. If I do end up getting an external and not an iMac, I'll probably get a third party display. Eventually I'd like to only have an iMac and MacBook Air.

18. stuaz macrumors 6502

Why not keep saving then if you want an iMac? (Obviously I don't know your current financial situation) but I think you would do better to save for an iMac - never know by the time you are ready to 'splash the cash' they may be retina :cool:

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That's probably what I'll end up doing.

20. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Parallels would be perfect for you (and a second monitor)! :)

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I connect my Mac to my 24" monitor and then I also use my Sony Vaio C series at the same time when I'm working on stuff and need switch back and forth between Windows and OSX (I find this easier than parallels as I get my full RAM allowance on both machines).

22. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Does he watch Glee on the second one?

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually in the realm of 2560 by 1440 pixel IPS LED monitors the Apple display isn't really that overpriced. http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/?filter=500149_12359321_ I thought so too a while back but if you shop them you'll see.

Sure, you can get 27" worth of real estate a lot cheaper, but at a lower resolution, or non-IPS, etc.

24. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I've never used two laptops side by side, but I have used a laptop and a desktop at the same time.

25. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Why does he use two out of curiosity? I see serato on the 15" but can't imagine what you'd be running on the 13? Ableton/lighting stuff?