Does anyone still think that the Unibody Macbooks are ugly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pavenger, Apr 30, 2009.

1. pavenger macrumors regular

Back in october when we all finally got to see the official images of the new line of macbooks many people on this site were saying how ugly they looked and how they were going to buy one of the previous models while they still could. Has anyone changed their minds about the new look or is it still a flaw you will put up with?

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

No i think everyone was in agreement they were great looking.

Just the glass screens were crap.

And most still hold that opinion.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think its the best looking notebook in the industry.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love my MacBook, it is sleek and beautiful. :) I love the trackpad.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you seen them in real life? they look awesome. the single frame of aluminium (unibody) just encapsulates the whole machine so well and it looks gorgeous.

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I think they're gorgeous. Always have. But the big thing I don't like about them is the lack of FireWire.

8. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah, I bought mine just a few days after they became available. This amazing piece of precision engineering is perfect. I think I may have gotten one of the few perfect ones from the first batch.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it's a good looking computer. form and function.

10. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

Ya, only reason I WILL not buy one of those ones. I've invested to much money in things that require FireWire.

11. gwangung macrumors 65816

Yah, I certainly understand that. While Apple may not consider it a mistake (and there are times I agree with them), it's certainly a flaw as far as I'm concerned...

(on the other hand, it got me to consider a Pro, so perhaps that did its job perfectly, as far as Apple is concerned...)

12. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

Thats why you got to go Pro! I have a few firewire devices, I had to invest in a FW800-400 cable but since I don't depend on them its not an issue for me. But I do understand the serious problem that causes some people.

13. assassinm4 macrumors member

wow seems like im a minority in here
    i bought the pre-umbp after the unibody was out. i frankly think the screen looks horrible and the keyboard is a step backward.
    i've played around with my friend's umbp and the keyboard is just weird to me. i've used a white macbook for 2 years and switched to macbook pro, and ever since i can't find a keyboard that's any better than my pre-unibody mbp :D
    and seriously, the black edge of the glass screen looks just awkward.

14. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

When they first came out, I thought the unibody pro looked a bit "dorky" in pictures. While I still think the regular macbook looks nicer in terms of proportions, both the macbook and the macbook pro look and feel great in person. The fit and finish is incredible and much better than my previous mbp and powerbook. I actually really like the black border. It makes the screen feel a lot less isolated and confined if that makes any sense...

My only minor complaint is that, even though I like the new keyboard, I feel that they're a little too "clickish" compared to the old pro's. My trackpad is also a little loud when clicking.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the other great thing about the black border is the iSight camera is hardly noticeable.

16. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I actually prefer the old one. I don't really care for the black border around the screen. But if something happened to my MBP, the only thing that really puts me off from the current MBP is the glossy screen for the 15" model (17" is too big for me).

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The only thing I bump into very infrequently is the lack of firewire but that's so rare it's no big deal.

Love the size, the weight, the screen, the performance and just how solid the little thing is.

18. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm still disappointed that they're using that fugly keyboard. Also, the lack of a matte option for the smaller sized screens is also disappointing.
    Otherwise, it's a nice looking computer.

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

21. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I personally like the construction of the unibody it self but for some reason I still get mixed feelings about the black bezel.

As for my girlfriend, she absolutely hates the new MacBooks because they aren't as "cute" as the white ones, which makes sense from a females stand point i guess. It works out for me and my wallet because the white ones are cheaper:D

22. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

I did go pro :) and I'm very glad I did, I didn't buy a glassbook but I love the pro. It just would be nice to have the usability of firewire on my macbook aswell.

I also don't like the chicklet keys. One you use the old mbp keyboard the current one feels like crap. But then again the mb has never had that type of key.

23. fewture macrumors regular

I like the Macbook

But I find the bigger Macbook pro, the black keys/bezel really don't work, as there is more aluminium and something doesn't look right.

I want to like the Macbook Pro, but don't.

24. atheros07 macrumors member

It looks much better in person. When the first pictures of the unibodies came out last October, I thought they looked kind of ugly, especially with the black keyboard. But the pictures don't capture the beauty and sharpness of the aluminum case.

25. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If you're talking Macbook - definitely the unibody looks way better than the old white/black plastic Macbooks. For the MBP, it's more of a toss-up which looks nicer, old or new (only an opinion... mine. Thanks everyone. ;))