Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Siri?

• Yes!

Votes: 92 57.5%
  • No!

Votes: 68 42.5%

• Total voters

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Well, I realize this is iOS 7 forum, but I started using it more once upgrading my phone to iOS 8. When the phone is connected to a power source, simply saying "Hey Siri" activates Siri (need to change General | Siri | Voice Activation). I can now ask Siri "what time is it?" in the morning or say things like "tell my wife that I will be home in 15 minutes" or "remind me to pay the bill when I get home" while driving.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Siri is one of those gimmicks that was cool the first week but wore thin after that.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Only to make reminders, and that doesn't really happen that often. Half the time she mishears my words too and then I'm like ahhh **** it I'm just going to make this reminder manually. >_>

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Does anyone actually still use Siri? I feel like she just drains my battery, so I always have her shut off.
And if you do, what commands do you mostly use?

I use it for FUN STUFF ONLY :)
A joke
A story
..etc

twochinz

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
I actually turn siri off because i might hold the home button without realizing, it was cool when it was first introduced. I heard it got a lot better since original siri.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Really only to make phone calls. I don't really have any other need for her. Btw on a side note I loved the Big Bang theory episode where raj falls in love with Siri.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
The better question should be, "Does anyone still use physical speech as a means of communicating?"

There are plenty of times where I use talk-to-text. I guess this is technically still written communication, but if I'm tired of typing or at a stop light and want to send a quick e-mail or text without looking away from the road, I'll use that feature. I think communicating with people who aren't immediately in the room via voice is less popular than it used to be, but to say that speaking is a form of communication that's falling by the wayside is quite a stretch.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
There are plenty of times where I use talk-to-text. I guess this is technically still written communication, but if I'm tired of typing or at a stop light and want to send a quick e-mail or text without looking away from the road, I'll use that feature. I think communicating with people who aren't immediately in the room via voice is less popular than it used to be, but to say that speaking is a form of communication that's falling by the wayside is quite a stretch.

I use speech to text all the time, since 1995, or there about. I also use it with iOS. Not everyone does. That is why I asked the question, in a broad sense.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Yep, all the time in the car. Use Siri to play music, read out and send texts, call, and yes occasionally answer the obscure question. In the car, I regard Siri as a safety feature, because I can do all of this while keeping my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

One of the cooler Siri features I use with my daughter is to find out more about the airplanes flying overhead. I just ask Siri to tell me more about the airplane I'm pointing at, and it shows the flight info (type of plane, where it's going, flight number, etc.).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yep, all the time in the car. Use Siri to play music, read out and send texts, call, and yes occasionally answer the obscure question. In the car, I regard Siri as a safety feature, because I can do all of this while keeping my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

One of the cooler Siri features I use with my daughter is to find out more about the airplanes flying overhead. I just ask Siri to tell me more about the airplane I'm pointing at, and it shows the flight info (type of plane, where it's going, flight number, etc.).
Out of curiosity, how does it know which one you are pointing at? Or is it more in the sense when there's usually a single flight being in the area?

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
I use Siri very often to set Reminders, to dictate something or to reply to messages. I ask Siri for the weather and I do web searches. And when I have the iphone in my pocket Siri reads my messages.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Purely for novelty purposes, nothing more. She's not accurate nor reliable enough to be worth using.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Navigation, reminders, text messages. I'd use it even more if it spoke my native language, so we would not have our occasional misunderstandings.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I use it often: setting reminders (esp. when cooking), sending text messages, calling a contact or phone number, web searches and finding a location or directions. I'm surprised more people don't use it, it's very convenient.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I only use it in my car to change songs without looking down at my phone. Except iOS 8 beta broke that feature!

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Out of curiosity, how does it know which one you are pointing at? Or is it more in the sense when there's usually a single flight being in the area?

If there are multiple planes in the sky, Siri will list info on multiple flights, with the slant distance, altitude, and angle.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I use it often: setting reminders (esp. when cooking), sending text messages, calling a contact or phone number, web searches and finding a location or directions. I'm surprised more people don't use it, it's very convenient.

Hehe these are my uses as well. Very convenient while cooking to set timers.

I use reminders all the time throughout the day. I also use it to add appointments to the calendar. I can't imagine having to manually enter calendar items or reminders on my phone.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Everyday. Mainly for alarms and stuff though. I don't often use Siri to Google things or ask for information. Not that I don't think it's useful, it's just that my mind never thinks to ask because Googling something is just second nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.