Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Siri?

• Yes!

Votes: 92 57.5%
  • No!

Votes: 68 42.5%

• Total voters

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
My top uses for Siri - "set a timer...", "what's the weather", and the very important "I need a drink!" - her typical reply to the latter: "I found 15 bars, 6 of them are fairly close to you." Very nice when strolling around traveling to new places.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Siri is one of those gimmicks that was cool the first week but wore thin after that.

I agree with you. The minute I got it, I tried out all the cool tricks it had but then usage just died down.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Google Now on my cheapo Moto G performs much quicker and more accurately so I've ditched Siri. Plus I can simply say "Ok Google" and it's awaiting my questions; making Siri feel archaic.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Does anyone still use Siri?

Google Now on my cheapo Moto G performs much quicker and more accurately so I've ditched Siri. Plus I can simply say "Ok Google" and it's awaiting my questions; making Siri feel archaic.

A Motorola Moto G doesn't have Siri. How do you ditch Siri on a phone that doesn't have Siri, in the first place?

Plus, the Moto G doesn't natively support Active Listening, so you have to install a custom launcher that does.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
A Motorola Moto G doesn't have Siri. How do you ditch Siri on a phone that doesn't have Siri, in the first place?

Plus, the Moto G doesn't natively support Active Listening, do you have to install a custom launcher that does.
Obviously that would mean I have Siri on an iPhone. At least I thought it was obvious.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I primarily use Siri in the car. However, there are certain things I frequently do that Siri is just faster at, especially now with "Hey Siri."

For example, adding items I think of randomly to my reminder list, which is then farmed by OmniFocus 2. When at my desk, it's even smoother as I frequently have my iPad near me, plugged in, with Hey Siri enabled. If I'm in my car it's similar, "Hey Siri...<wait for bell>remember to write a message to my mother for mother's day" or perhaps adding a grocery item to the grocery list or whatever. Even when not in the car, it's way faster to do this via siri as this is the kind of thing that, even if the dictation gets it a little off, it doesn't matter. Only I will be reading it later and it will still make sense to me. That said, dictation is spot on 90% of the time for me. Probably more.

I also do many other things with Siri when driving, such as ask for restaurant locations nearby by category "Where's a good taco place around here?" etc.

Siri doesn't replace basic direct operation of the device most of the time, it's something that works very well for me in certain situations and I'm glad for it. It really does feel like an assistant as it is performing operations alongside me doing something else in most cases, like adding reminders. I'm usually busy and just want to get that idea/thought down ASAP.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
I use Siri for Reminders such as "Remind me to call Mom" then when the reminder pops up, I can use it to call. Still haven't found out how to do that wigt the text input. Also use Siri to populate my shopping list.

Just wish Siri would use iOS's built in dictionary for definitions.

Lodesman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Folkestone, Kent, UK
Tried it after getting my iPhone but disabled it soon after as I was inadvertently pressing the home key and getting the siri response - irritating.

Cannot think of a use for it - another iPhone 'feature' I don't need or use.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I use Siri all the time for a few specific uses.

I'm a chemist, and when I'm working in the lab I set about 20 timers a day. Pulling out my phone and saying "15 minute timer" is so much faster and more convenient than anything else I could do.

I use it to place calls when in the car, rather than scroll though my call history/address book.

In addition, I use it a lot to set the GPS-when I'm trying to find my way around somewhere, it's really easy to just hit the home button and say either an address or the name of a place-Siri is generally smart enough to figure out where I want to go, and I can do it a lot faster than trying to punch it in manually.

I don't set reminders(in any form) very often, but when I do Siri makes that really easy.

Those things are my main uses, but IMO make Siri very worthwhile for those.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Occasionally, but not often. I use it more on my 6 than on my 4S since I don't get "I'm really sorry about this, but I can't take any requests right now" 9 out of 10 times.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Tried it after getting my iPhone but disabled it soon after as I was inadvertently pressing the home key and getting the siri response - irritating.

Cannot think of a use for it - another iPhone 'feature' I don't need or use.

So now instead of Siri, you get Voice Command. Not much difference as far as irritating.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Like to hear thoughts from you guys regarding the rumoured Siri-in-a-box device.

imcharlie

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone actually still use Siri? I feel like she just drains my battery, so I always have her shut off.
And if you do, what commands do you mostly use?
Yes, I use Siri a lot. I often turn her on by accident, so I say “goodbye” lot. However, I ma using that new bar to quick-pick emojis.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Use Siri all the time: timers, alarms, reminders, directions. While cooking, you can say "Hey Siri, add butter to shopping list" without stopping to wash your hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.