Does anyone switch between Blackberry and iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Aug 4, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

I have my old iPhone 3G since I bought the 3GS, someone offered me a new blackberry for my iPhone 3G... I'm debating grabbin that and switching between both phones... unless thats super annoying.

Jack

Edit: I can either get a Blackberry Storm or Bold. So the two best.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Considering that you can't put a sim card in a Storm, you rely only have one choice, and that is the Bold.

The bold is a better BB anyways.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Or the curve.. or the pearl...

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

get the bold
    its a really nice phone, and plus its on ATT so you could technically switch back and forth with only 1 number/contract

also, the storm is a piece of crap. The only way I could even see it being attractive to someone is if they were stuck with verizon and really wanted something similar to an iPhone, and even then, theres better alternatives

I'd really consider the bold and tour to be the 2 best

6. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I have a Curve 8900 that I JUST switched from. I like the Blackberry better in terms of email, the keyboard......and thats about it. The Blackberry app store(if thats what you want to call it) absolutely SUCKS! The only other than that I kinda liked about my Blackberry is that I think its a better phone, like for talking to people. The iPhone seems to have a worse signal pretty much everywhere. Another thing I noticed is that I have never had a dropped call on my BB. I'm back to the iPhone 3GS and I've already experienced horiable signal durring calls to where people are cutting in and out, and one dropped call. I have gone nowhere out of the ordinary, i've been and gone to the same places that I went to when I had my BB and had no problems at all with my signal. Now my BB was EDGE only, maybe thats the difference(probably is).

The iPhone I like better for pretty much everything else. The app store is great, although there are even more "junk apps" that have appeared since my break from the iPhone and app store. Which is slightly annoying. But the usefulness of the iPhone is what drew me back to it. You can use if for soooo much. Heck I see you can now even order a pizza via Pizza Hut with the iPhone, its just amazing. You dont have that with Blackberries. I also think, like the BB, that the iPhone has a certain elegance to it that I like, I think its definitely a eye catcher in a different way than any BB could be. I also like the iPhone better because its a Apple product. I like Apple, I like their designs, their products, which brings me to the iPhone of course. So I am happy that I'm back with a iPhone, I really really liked my Curve 8900 but I always missed my iPhone...Except for the keyboard!!!:D

BTW. I am selling my Curve 8900 that I Blacked Out, it looks really nice. Reason for selling: I bought a 32GB 3GS and am wanting to recoup some of the money I spent(it was out of contract!) Anyways I'm hoping for $350...it goes for about $480 new from AT&T

7. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

If the storm is "unlocked" you can just swap the sim cards. I had a storm before my iPhone and it sucked. Don't waste your time on it. If its the bold or 8900 they are super nice.

8. iphonefan67 macrumors newbie

9. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

I used to do this all the time before my wife took over the BB. I loved having the choice. I'd definately get the Bold if you go through with it.

10. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I have the Bold and a iPhone 3G. I had to switch my data plan to a blackberry one, but once I did that I can swap sims w/ ease.

I keep the bold around also because I got it unlocked so I can travel with it. I don't want to ever have to hassle with AT&T international iPhone nightmares.

EVER.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Where do you propose to put a sim card in the storm when there is no sim card slot??? The verizon storm is CDMA only, not a world phone.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

What are you talking about? Yes it is.

13. lrdiaz macrumors member

VZW STORM is a World Phone CDMA/GSM, it comes with a Vodafone Sim Card

14. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I use a BB Curve for work and and iPhone for personal. They are very different divises and both good in different ways. The Curve is great for work and from a business perspective it does things the iPhone doesn't do as well. However, as a rounded device the iPhone is leagues ahead of the Curve. Having used both I would not consider the Curve for personal use. The iPhone is just far better as a rounded can do anything device. The Curve has its roots in corporate communication, does it well but is not as 'entertaining' as the iPhone.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but how do you make it default to the GSM when in the US?
    I'm not aware of a way

either way, I still believe that the bold to be a better choice, networks aside
    the storm was just a flop

16. frunze macrumors member

I have iPhone 3GS as my personal phone and a Blackberry curve as my work phone. It is SUPER annoying. Before I got the iPhone, I thought blackberry was a good thing, and now I am of the unwavering opinion that blackberry is only good enough to hammer in nails, or to serve as a drink coaster compared to iPhone.

Perhaps I am dense, but i don't see the reason to have 2 phones, unless you have one for work and one for personal use (at my job, I could have used the Blackberry for both and just itemize the bill, but I couldn't resist the iPhone and haven't regretted it for a single second).

17. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Exact same situation. The Curve is great for corporate email and the battery has incredible life. EVERYTHING else is horrible.

The iPhone would be and is my preference in phones.

18. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Once, I use to have an 8820 but the trackball kept locking up. I returned the first one for that reason. My daughter talked me into getting an iphone. It took quite a while getting use to it, but after a few weeks I liked it and will stay with iphone now.

19. calvy macrumors 65816

My workplace made me carry a Blackberry 8310. I believe that's a curve. I hate it. It is not intuitive to use at all. And the way it handles email is ridiculous. The fact that it keeps SMS messages in the same folder as email drives me insane. I wish to god they'd let me just use my iPhone, but they won't allow non corporate owned devices on the network.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I had a personal Bold and LOVED it. My IT department supports personal BBs on the company network. But when the iPhone 3GS came out, I decided to get me a "personal" phone and have the company issue me a "business" phone. They gave me a 8830. Since they don't support the iPhone on Exchange, the BB is really the only way to go for me for business.

Aside from that, I found a particularly big BONUS on carrying two devices. The BB stays in the computer bag at 5pm while I keep the iPhone with me all the time. Worked WONDERS during my last vacation....

21. staticliner macrumors newbie

The sim card slot is underneath the battery cover, just over the battery, left hand side.

I agree with the other posts that say the Storm sucks. I would go for the Bold or the 8900 if you wanted to do that...

22. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Take the bold. It's a great black berry. I have it and I also have a 32g 3gs. I use both of them.

23. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Call Blackberry and let them know you're going to be doing some world travel in some upcoming months and would like your phone to be unlocked while you are doing that travel. They'll flash your phone while you're talking to them and it's a done deal. There might be an easier way to do it, but this is a proven method that a few of my friends did.

24. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

There is an option to seperate SMS and email into different folders.

25. davyreins macrumors 6502

I would take the bold. I've played around with the Storm and don't like the screen/UI as much as the iPhone. I've always wanted to do a longterm comparison between a BlackBerry with a keyboard vs the iPhone and see the pros and cons with both.