does anyone think these free apple things on the internet work?? seems unlikely...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crabb11, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Crabb11 macrumors newbie

I just came across an add from google about free iPads and iPhones and Macbooks... etc. But I was just wondering if anyone has actually had any experience with this?

The catch is that you have to sign up for an offer, which could cost from a couple of dollars/pounds to maybe 15 dollars/pounds.

Thanks!

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

3. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

They're giving you a $400 device for signing up for a $15 commitment? No.:rolleyes:

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

They do work, but they are a HASSLE. They tell you that you have to sign up for a couple offers...okay not bad, but what they don't tell you is that you have to get A TON of your friends to do the same thing and then they have to be loyal enough to reference you. Each person you sign up is worth a certain number of points. Once you get a certain number of points....BOOM! iPad.

5. hismikeness macrumors regular

No.

When I was struggling to find my iPad 2, my wife's friend called and said she heard a radio add to get a free iPad 2 to keep, but report back some market research data. She gave me the website. I clicked on the FAQ and found that to be eligible to win, you had to sign up for at least 15 things, and agree to purchase items on one or more.

My guess... if you sign up for something like that, you will be inundated with credit card offers, junk mail, spam email, and will end up having to spend as much or more on the other products.

The other part that made me think it might be a scam was they referred to it as an Apple Pad. :eek:

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

7. Crabb11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just done some more research

I have found a site which is recommended by the Gadget Show UK and T3 magazine, which looks quite promising... also there are free ways to do the offers for free. eg you have to create a website and publish it. After that you just cancel your trial....

to get a magic mouse all you have to do is refer 3 people. iPad I admit is a little more....

http://apple.freebiejeebies.co.uk/536561

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

These sites are nothing more than scams. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is a fake.

9. Shambles macrumors regular

Yeah, they work. I got an Xbox controller a few years ago using one of these sites..

But it's a lot of effort and if they find one single thing suspicious about how you're completing the offers and referring people, even if you didn't do anything wrong, game over.

10. mzexe macrumors newbie

mzexe

Some of This Websites are Just Storing Emails and other data s you enter them:apple:

11. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

A couple of years back, when these first started, I got a 20gb iPod, a PSP and an iPod Nano.

12. Crabb11 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that is a possibility I'm sure a lot of them are a scam.... some of them may be ok though.... I am going to try it anyway, and 'test' the system... I'm gunna do the magic mouse one which only needs three referals. (just get some people in my household to refer lol)

http://apple.freebiejeebies.co.uk/536561

13. kicko macrumors 65816

I'd rather see a monthly payment system then a get one free by jumping through hoops of hassle.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So pretty much a major pain in the.....

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

16. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

My dad has signed up for this site, trying to get £50 iTunes voucher - he's got three referrals as it says (if I remember correctly) and so far nothing... I imagine there is a waiting period while things are verified

All in all, more effort than I'm willing to put in

17. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I believe these are scams.
    Now the Nigerian bank transfers, those are 100% legit.....

18. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Pretty much a pyramid scheme. Only those at the top benefit.

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

20. coolguykris macrumors newbie

Some are scams some are not

If you have time you can browse aroung the forum anything 4 free.com It is an entire forum with thousands of members dedicated to the "freebie" sites. Do your research before you start any of those sites though.

21. Vizin, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  22. drummr, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

drummr macrumors regular

I got my Macbook Pro through one of those. It was back when they were first coming out and not many people knew about them. Nowadays they are a lot more difficult to complete.

When I did it I had to complete something like 15 offers, but most of them were free trials etc. that you can cancel before being charged. Now that most companies know about these programs, there is a 60 or 90 day wait period between signing up, and that offer showing up as complete. This wait period is longer than the free trial so you have to pay for the service, meaning you still pay a lot for whatever you are doing the offers for.

I think I ended up paying $150 for a (at the time) $2000 laptop.

So yes they do work, but they are a lot of work.

http://www.joshclark.com/blog/?p=167

23. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

if you believe that crap, i know a very nice Nigerian gentleman who would love to do business with you

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

pretty much sums it up :cool: