Does anyone use chill mats for your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hook'Em2006, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Just curious, mine seems to get a little bit warm. Just wondering if a chill mat is :confused:.

2. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

good deal. The fans never kick on so I assumed that it was fine. Just a little curious is all. I always see PC users using them.:cool:

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't use them, but I did get this product for my MBP. Mainly to raise the hot surface off of my desk, but also because it makes a nifty carrying handle.

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

I don't think I've ever seen a Mac user using one. But I've seen a lot of PC owners using them.

5. monaarts macrumors 65816

MBP fans blow the air out the back hinge and through the keyboard, so by having fans on the bottom it really doesn't do much of anything. ;-)

I use a laptop desk for when I am using my MBA on the couch or bed though. It's mainly to make sure the blankets and clothing doesnt block any of the back vent. I also use it because it has built in speakers that are pretty decent! Logitech is who makes the lapdesk with speakers, fyi. :)

- Joe

6. justinkim macrumors member

I use one

I use one with my C2D unibody when booted into Windows to play games.

Most recent games tax that machine so much, it'll shut down after about an hour of game play. The Targus chill mat I use will keep my machine up for as long as I care to play.

Don't use it when booted into OS X, but I don't think I stress the machine while booted in OS X like I do when gaming in Windows.

7. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't do much hard computing, just interneting and itunesing. Nothing real hard. and school work.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

no need for a chill pad ... the MBP vents out the back and is made to handle a lot of usage.

do not waste the money :cool:

9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I use the pad that comes with a case of Apples. It's basically a thin paper pillow with some fibrous stuffing inside.

10. T34418leONE macrumors member

I don't use a chill mat but I often use the iLap by RainDesign for my 15" MBP.

I don't like a hot lap so it works for me, I don't know how much a chill mat would do as stated above indicates the ventilation isn't through the bottom but my iLap at least keeps me cool.

11. aCondor macrumors 6502

Um.... what? A case of apples? Or a case of Apples? Oh, never mind.

I would think that any "pillow" type device would actually serve to trap heat, not dissipate it.