Does anyone use the Friends Button?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TxWatch, Dec 8, 2015.

1. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have had my Watch for almost three weeks and I have never used the Friends App button, except when I first got it to see what it did. It makes me wonder why Apple dedicated a large button on a very small device for such a minor feature. I realize the button is also used for turning it on and off, plus Apple Pay, but the main function is for the Friends App which seems like a waste of valuable space.

Do others find it useful or is it just me?

For me, the Friends App could be a simple icon on the main screen which would allow the button to be used within applications or to take you straight to Settings, along with the other things it does now. (Not sure how often I would need it for Settings, but certainly more than I need to see my Favorites from my Watch)

TxWatch

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I use it to initiate a text or digital touch from time to time, but I'm not sure if it needs its own button.

3. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I use Siri more often than the Friends button.

I'm glad that the button does what it does, though. Finding contacts via the app and crown takes a while.

App writers don't really need access to the side button anyway since a Force Touch press can bring up four "buttons" on-screen.

5. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

Neither have I.

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

indeed, that button is useless for me. I never initiate anything from the watch, just check/respond to things.

i'd love to have it as a shorcut for something else... when is the watch jailbreak coming???

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I've never used it.

8. TxWatch thread starter macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Since very few people use the button for the Friends App, why not let us choose what App it loads when pushed once? (thanks bofh666)

Add an icon to the home screen for the Friends App and keep the other functions as they are today. (Power on/off, Apple Pay, etc.). The default can still be the Friends App, but let me change it to whatever I want in Settings.

Seems like an easy way to get more use out of an underutilized button on the Watch. Watch OS 3?

TxWatch

9. slester macrumors member

Never. Maybe they should get rid of it in the next iteration. Maybe they can make the watch thinner then. Or make it so I can assign the button to launch an app of my choosing.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Never used it. Must be another way to use the button.

11. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

It's useful , maybe not for friends that much but to make a hard reboot , screenshot or just to turn off the watch .

12. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Never used except for double clicking for :apple: pay.

13. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

I wish we could assign it to an app so it launches any app we choose.

14. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I use it all the time. Could be used for something else but friends but it's there so I use it.

15. BSben macrumors 6502a

I actually use it quite a lot, the first page is dedicated to those of my friends who have an Apple Watch.

16. TxWatch thread starter macrumors 6502

TxWatch

If they allow us to assign a single push of the button to any App, then you could keep using it the same way. I think they should make the button default to the Friends App, so nothing changes unless you choose to do something else.

I do not think they should get rid of the button because it has other valid uses. (Power on/off, close an unruly App, Apple Pay, screen capture, etc.)

TxWatch

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I use it quite often. It's the quickest way to get into my contacts to text/etc. someone. I can see why Apple designed it as such... but I do wish they opened it up to more uses.

18. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Have owned my Apple Watch for a week and rarely use it

19. barjam macrumors regular

I use it frequently to send notes to my wife.

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

21. xDKP macrumors 6502a

xDKP

Nope, not after the initial try of the drawings and other stuff (which I don't use as well)

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

When I first got the watch I used it a bit. Very rarely now.

23. tann macrumors 68000

I accidentally hit it sometimes. Never actually pressed it for the friends feature though... Once tried double click for apple pay!

24. RvE-NL macrumors newbie

RvE-NL