Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Just wondering if anybody waits before purchasing a new phone to see if there are any bugs that need to be worked out? I've never bought a phone when it first comes out just in case there are any issues that arise. I've always wondered if there's any merit to that. Or if I'm the only one who does that. I don't mind waiting an extra month if it means some of the kinks will be worked out and it gives me a little bit of time to see if I do in fact want to upgrade. Anyway just wondering what people's opinions are.
Thanks
Devin

Reactions: 5105973

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Just wondering if anybody waits before purchasing a new phone to see if there are any bugs that need to be worked out? I've never bought a phone when it first comes out just in case there are any issues that arise. I've always wondered if there's any merit to that. Or if I'm the only one who does that. I don't mind waiting an extra month if it means some of the kinks will be worked out and it gives me a little bit of time to see if I do in fact want to upgrade. Anyway just wondering what people's opinions are.
Thanks
Devin

im most likely going to be buying sometime between October and Black Friday. Maybe even Black Friday. haven't bought on launch day in years

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I've never waited, but generally if there are any hardware related bugs then Apple will replace your phone. The phone they replace it with, however, is a refurbished one.

Reactions: DevinNj

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Thanks
Devin

Well note 7 buyers probably should have waited.

Apple have had a few issues with launch models (iPhone 5 battery was replaced in early models) but they're generally reliable and Apple handle issues if they arise.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Didn't get one this year, but wife did. I am going to give the adapter a go on my 6s plus (assuming it works; it should I think) and see how long it lasts. Apple cables just fall apart on me. I imagine this thing won't last two months in the gym. Maybe I am pleasantly surprised.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We got our 5s's early on when they came out, but I think we're going to wait a bit for the 7.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I think some hold off on their decision to buy until some reviews are in to get a measure of the product.

But the idea of waiting to buy until bugs have been worked out...that might mean months of waiting and would probably constitute a very small minority.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I've always got on launch since original and never had any issues. No antenna gate no bend gate or whatever. If I did have any issues I would just return it for my refund cause I don't do refurbished phones.

Reactions: DustinDev47

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Well note 7 buyers probably should have waited.

Apple have had a few issues with launch models (iPhone 5 battery was replaced in early models) but they're generally reliable and Apple handle issues if they arise.
Samsung is taking care of Note 7 customers as well. A friend of mine got a free wearable (Gear 2 maybe?) with his Note 7. When they announced the recall, he returned his phone, got his money back, and got to keep the watch.

Apple is very good at taking care of its customers as well otherwise people start class action lawsuits. Apple gave free cases with the 4 (Antennagate) and free replacement phones for the 5 (Scuffgate).

Also, people say they like to wait for the S model for kinks to be worked out, and a lot of people are calling this the 6SS model, so I'm not expecting any issues. And again, if there are any issues (at least in the first year) Apple has got your back.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I never waited before. Then I waited for the SE because I have a 6S Plus and when you've laid out the dough for a phone like that, suddenly declaring to your spouse that you're sick of lugging this huge slab around as your daily driver and want to get an itty bitty phone of the same design you gave up two years ago seems weird. It took courage to decide to do that. ;):p

Then I dug up even more courage and decided I wanted a phablet after all but I wanted a pen to go with it. My hubby caught my enthusiasm and joined me in preordering a Note 7 during AT&T's BOGO deal. We got a lot of goodies and are still raking in discounts and freebies from Samsung. And we did love the Note 7. If not for the recall, that purchase would have been a rousing success. But...there was a recall and lots of ensuing uncertainty. So...

Apple releases its iPhones. And lo and behold during a keynote declares that one key feature for the iPhone 7 Plus won't be ready for awhile. Why the bleep not? They've had a year to work on this and they didn't do a complete redesign of the phone so why are they not ready with this? The Galaxy S7 I have in hand now can do the bokeh trick on not just faces but objects already. It's not like Apple to release something with a major selling point so incomplete. Apple Watch was like that though. Hmm...initiating caution mode.

Then there are the links posted in Android forum to articles stating the iPhone release is going to be slowed by a problem with faulty components and links stating that Samsung supplied batteries for the iPhone 7's as well. They're speculating over on those forums. Idle gossip? Who knows.

As a Note 7 owner I'm not pre-ordering a blessed thing again, from anybody, anytime soon. There's always a "-gate" of some sort. I'm tired of being a Guinea pig. Besides I've played with enough new phones this year.

Reactions: tony-ton

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Samsung is taking care of Note 7 customers as well. A friend of mine got a free wearable (Gear 2 maybe?) with his Note 7. When they announced the recall, he returned his phone, got his money back, and got to keep the watch.

Apple is very good at taking care of its customers as well otherwise people start class action lawsuits. Apple gave free cases with the 4 (Antennagate) and free replacement phones for the 5 (Scuffgate).

Also, people say they like to wait for the S model for kinks to be worked out, and a lot of people are calling this the 6SS model, so I'm not expecting any issues. And again, if there are any issues (at least in the first year) Apple has got your back.

I don't think it fully launched in the UK so I don't have much to go off, but I believe in the US they still haven't done a formal recall with the relevant safety agency. I'd have expected that to be a priority in any recall.

The waiting on S models was always an odd thing, as S models had more significant internal changes vs external changes that non-s models tend to focus on.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2011
The phone they replace it with, however, is a refurbished one.

The hell it is! Demand a new replacement or get your money back and buy a new one. Never accept a refurbished device.

I've always got on launch since original and never had any issues. No antenna gate no bend gate or whatever. If I did have any issues I would just return it for my refund cause I don't do refurbished phones.

I've had the same experience. I have been a launch-day adopter since iPhone 4 (the exception being the 4s) and have not had antennagate, bendgate, scuffgate, screenyellowgate, iSightgate, or any of the "gates." I had one problem with the 5 or 5s I can't remember and that may or may not have been my fault - somehow it was activation-locked and even the "Geniuses" at Apple couldn't figure it out. I got a brand new phone that day.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I had the antenna_gate model, it was bad.

So I just wrote it off as a bad Apple experience. Other than taking a pass on the boring iPhone 7, I've always thrown caution to the wind and bought at launch time.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2011
You have no way of knowing if it is refurbished or not. Looks and works exactly the same with the same warranty.

Oh but I do. In the United States, it is a federal requirement that refurbished or reconditioned products are advertised as such. If I am given a refurbished device without being notified that it is refurbished - big problems (and not mine).

Last edited:

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks
Devin

Well with iPhones there are rarely serious issues when they are released. It's pretty safe to buy an iPhone on launch day or around launch time.

I brought iPhone 6 and 6s around launch time and didn't have any issues.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Im going to wait and see if 7 has same hardware defects like curtain presseure points or dust looking spot near mute switch on display like 6s. If it does i have to skip 7.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
The hell it is! Demand a new replacement or get your money back and buy a new one. Never accept a refurbished device.

I've had the same experience. I have been a launch-day adopter since iPhone 4 (the exception being the 4s) and have not had antennagate, bendgate, scuffgate, screenyellowgate, iSightgate, or any of the "gates." I had one problem with the 5 or 5s I can't remember and that may or may not have been my fault - somehow it was activation-locked and even the "Geniuses" at Apple couldn't figure it out. I got a brand new phone that day.

After the 14 day return period is over, you cannot get your money back and buy a new one. Prior to the 14 days, yes you can. Right after launch the iPhone 7 will Probably be new for a while, but after a while the chances in getting brand-new are slim if you need it replaced.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Well with iPhones there are rarely serious issues when they are released. It's pretty safe to buy an iPhone on launch day or around launch time.

I brought iPhone 6 and 6s around launch time and didn't have any issues.

Samsung wasn't having issues until this one. And I would call antenna gate a major issue.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Thank you everyone for your comments, and yes I would agree Apple does take care of their customers, so I know if there was an issue they would make it right. I was just curious if anyone else thought the same way I did.

GrumpyMom- LOL, I'm with you on the "courage" thing! I went from the 6S+ to the 6S twice last year, and drove my fiancé crazy flip-flopping. She was ready to have me committed. This year I decided I'll have the "courage" to get a black 7+ 256Gb, you know go big or go home, and I think she's on the same page as me too with a rose gold one, go figure! LOL

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Thanks
Devin

I've never found that to be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.