Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If the implementation is good I think it's fantastic. I currently don't use a pass code evaluate I find it cumbersome. I also don't like being completely unprotected. This could be the be the best of both.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The only reason I want a finger print scanner is so I can unlock the phone while driving. Then I can ask Siri to read me my texts or to call/text someone. As of now you still have to look down and it's very annoying and disrupting to driving.

Finger print technology, if done right, can remove the need to look down and keep eyes on the road.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Does anyone want a fingerprint reader?

I have been thinking about it and I am not sure I want something that could just go bad and lock me out of my phone. Just not much of a reason to upgrade I guess if that is the major WOW item in the new 5S.

Couldn't agree more. Not interested at all as well.

I have no interest in the fingerprint reader.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
The fact that apple never said they are putting one in.

Apple never offers upfront what it will or will not have...Never. But rumors do come out, and many have said it would, not to mention they did pay big bucks to buy the company that makes them... Duh !

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
There will not be a fingerprint scanner on the iphone. Even a dedicated fingerprint scanner is hard to maintain for proper function, on a phone it would be a chore. Imagine continuously cleaning your fingers and the scanner.

So you think the fingerprint scanner setup screens in the iOS 7 Beta are all a giant attempt to mislead people?

----------

It's clearly coming. It's clearly going to be optional. It's clearly going to replace passcode/apple account password/website password/credit card number entry.

Why do you think they're focusing so much on iCloud Keychain? They want to set things up so you never have to remember another password on your device.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I dont "want" it per say, but if I had the choice of having one or not having one, I think Id prefer to have one.

That sound like a John Kerry: I voted it against it after I voted for it. :p

Comeon folks, months and months after all the posts about, I want a finger blah-blah, now u going meh!? Apple is right, users don't know what they want :rolleyes: ;)

U know, this whole thing started because a developer found a finger scan routine in the software. Apple makes a lot of patent applications and they don't really use all of them.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I somewhat want it. Using a pin is annoying and wastes time but I still use it just to have some protection. A fingerprint reader would be much easier to save time and trouble and just unlock it right away as if you didn't have a pin but while still having protection.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
That sound like a John Kerry: I voted it against it after I voted for it. :p

Comeon folks, months and months after all the posts about, I want a finger blah-blah, now u going meh!? Apple is right, users don't know what they want :rolleyes: ;)

U know, this whole thing started because a developer found a finger scan routine in the software. Apple makes a lot of patent applications and they don't really use all of them.

Im just saying Im not actively seeking a fingerprint scanner. I am indifferent about it. It would be nice to have one, but I really dont care one way or the other.

You might be thinking of different people :p Because one person says they want it, and another thread says they dont, this doesnt represent the entire populous, its a few peoples opinions. I dont want anything more, I love my iPhone 5 on iOS6, and will keep it that way until it no longer works.

While Apple makes patents they dont use, they dont put stuff in codes that they dont use :p

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Hope it won't turn out like SIRI did. Use it for 2-3 days then completely neglect it.

Anybody know the story of SIRI?

It was original a creation of a PHD voice recognition expert.

Then the company Nuance told his guy, sell us your stuff or we will tie you up in court so the guy had no other choice.

Then somehow Apple got hold of it.

Meanwhile the PHD is no longer putting any work on the product. Don't companies know they buy the talent, not the product?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Not me. I have concerns that it would work flawlessly - as it would have to. And for that reason I strongly doubt Apple will be introducing it in the next few years.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I think it's kind of a dumb gimmick. I thought it was so cool when the Lenovo that I bought years ago came with a fingerprint reader, but after a few days the novelty wore off and I never used it.

Part of me thinks that Apple may be using this as a segway into NFC and the digital payment industry. But another part of me thinks that Apple is struggling to keep up with the rate of innovation at Samsung and hastily picked such a lackluster feature.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I'm really looking forward to this. I hate keeping track of all my passwords...with every new iPhone (and hopefully new laptops) including a fingerprint scanner, the tech would be mainstream enough to induce most services with a web presence to include the fingerprint scan as an option to a password/security question.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Not me. I have concerns that it would work flawlessly - as it would have to. And for that reason I strongly doubt Apple will be introducing it in the next few years.

^+2.

Am not concerned. I just say if it works like the S4's eyes scan (20% success rate?), furgitaboutit. Apple just won't do something like that until it's 95% perfect.

To get into my employer's computer room, there is a finger scanner, it takes a couple of seconds for it to recognize you. I dunno. When am dealing with my phone, I want it seamless, sub-second response. I don't even notice it's there. That's just me.

Translate this to the door, I want the scanner built into the handle. I grab the handle, it instantly recognizes me, and it unlocks, I don't even know I've been finger-scanned. That's how I need it to work, otherwise it's just a gimmick.

Last edited:

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I for one would love to have it in my phone. You can never be too secure, and knowing Apple if they have opted to include it in this years model it's only because they feel it works effectively and it's ready for the masses. If not, I'll just have to stick with the trusty ol' lock code.

To their credit, unlocking with a code seems considerably faster in iOS7, that or my thumb has gotten quicker.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
If the new iPhone indeed has one, and they implement it well, I'll use it for certain things. And if not, I don't think i'm gonna complain about it or anything; I'll simply not use it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Translate this to the door, I want the scanner built into the handle. I grab the handle, it instantly recognizes me, and it unlocks, I don't even know I've been finger-scanned. That's how I need it to work, otherwise it's just a gimmick.

This is exactly how I feel. It needs to work so that I just press the home button, without thinking about how I'm angling my finger or which part of my finger I'm using or what amount of pressure I'm using, and especially important for me, because I have a motor control issue, it needs to work even if my finger is not perfectly still as I press the button. If it doesn't work like that, it'll be useless for me.

Also, since my partner and I often share our iDevices, it'd be nice if it could be set to recognize more than one fingerprint. Knowing Apple, I doubt they'll set it up like that.

centavar

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
I'm interested and think this would be a great feature. I had one on my previous laptop and it was such a convinient and secure way of protecting my info-no need to always make sure nobody is watching as I'm typing my pass, no fear of cameras or keyloggers. And this was old tech, the rumored screen integrated one would be amazing.

No. I don't want NSA getting everybody's fingerprints.
They already have them, not a big deal.

Anybody know the story of SIRI?
Then the company Nuance told his guy, sell us your stuff or we will tie you up in court so the guy had no other choice.

Then somehow Apple got hold of it.
According to Nuance, they provided only the voice recognition part of Siri, as they did for Samsung's S-Voice. The AI part is work of Apple themselves.

And that little sob story about the robbed inventor makes no sense. If the work was indeed his, they couldn't possibly "tie him up" in court.

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Oh just think of the possibilities.... Apple already works with the NSA to share our personal data. Now they can take it a step further and catalog each of our fingerprints with big brother. Woohoo!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
According to Nuance, they provided only the voice recognition part of Siri, as they did for Samsung's S-Voice. The AI part is work of Apple themselves.

And that little sob story about the robbed inventor makes no sense. If the work was indeed his, they couldn't possibly "tie him up" in court.

It's true that Nuance just did the voice recognition part of Siri, but Siri itself was a product of an independent company, which I think was also called Siri, and Apple bought them.

Don't know about the inventor sob story, but while this particular sob story may be wrong, just because you invented something doesn't necessarily mean you own the rights to it -- for example, if Nuance and Siri the company had some kind of joint ownership/licensing agreement for Siri the product, then yes, it could very well get horribly tied up in court.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.