Does Apple exchange faulty MBP 2010 w/ MBP 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geogeogr, Mar 11, 2011.

1. geogeogr macrumors newbie

I just did an SSD firmware upgrade (I use an OCZ Vertex 2, now updated from 1.24 to 1.29) and after I restarted the MBP I get a very odd, Very annoying high pitch noise (like electrical current).

I try to listen where it's coming from... but I can hear it all over the laptop. Standing 1m away, I can still hear it. Not too loud, but it's very, Very disturbing!

The fans are fine, there's no CD inserted, and no Hard Disk Drive (like I said it's an SSD).

I never got this before - just started now. When I boot my computer up I hear it a couple times. When I open Chrome with ~30 tabs (I never had a problem...) right After all the tabs load... the noise begins again. It's not the speakers either (everything's muted).

I'm thinking of calling them - thing is, does anyone know what it is and Why it would appear after the SSD firmware upgrade?

And also, does anyone know how they service the MBPs? Would they exchange a 2010 model for another 2010 model, or with a new 2011 one?

The noise is Really beginning to annoy me by the way...

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if its within the return period they may replace it. but if its a 3rd party drive that may have caused issues they wont likely if its past the return period.
    do you have another drive to test either notebook drive or external to boot from?
    otherwise remove the ssd and boot from the installer disc to see if the noise persists.

what are of the machine is it emitting from?

3. geogeogr thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not - I purchased it in October. And I have changed the drive to an OCZ SSD, yes, but it's not the SSD making the noise (although the firmware upgrade Seems to have triggered it...). Also, RAM and Disk Drive changes do not void the warranty.

I have yet to try and remove the drive and see what happens.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well im not speaking about voiding the warranty i just dont see Apple swapping out a machine outside of the return window, but hey crazy things do happen. they may do diagnostics and replace the logic board but in my experience swapping it out without going through the repair process doesnt seem likely.

id eliminate the SSD being the culprit by booting from an external drive or another notebook drive, if not booting from the install dvd might be another option

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

They'll diagnose and repair or replace the defective part with a refurbished one.

6. iZero macrumors regular

+1. Sometimes, if a product needs repaired multiple times, or they have a serious problem fixing it/getting parts, I've heard of them exchanging machines. But not without going through the whole repair dance (and usually several times) first. But it's inside warranty, so they will get it working for you :)

It is outside the return period. The return period is only the first 14 days I believe. After that, you're in the warranty.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

they won't do anything for you at all unless the problem happens on an oem hdd. They may swap one in if you don't have the oem hdd (or at least some kind of standard hdd) . Then if the unit works they will tell you your ssd is bad. Ocz ssd's are known to crash and burn after firmware upgrades. been there done that. go on the ocz forums to see if your problem has happened to others.

put in a standard hdd and see what happens.

8. snakebitesmac macrumors newbie

In my experience, if they attempt to fix it on 3 separate occasions and fail you will get a whole new one, being a up to date model. This falls under the a variation of the lemon law in the USA and your warranty. If it goes away when you remove the SSD they will not fix it.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They don't void the warranty, but don't have any expectation that Apple will swap anything until the machine is back to it's original config since if it's determined that your parts are the cause of the problem any associated fixes are not warranty. That can include checkout if they so desire so be pleasant when you deal with them :)