Does apple gonna do iPod touch with 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Christian 5G, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was wondering can apple do the iPod touch with 3G connection? Like iPad, or it's not gonna happen?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They probably could, but at that point you may as well buy an iPhone, so I doubt it will happen.

3. And1ss, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

No point. iPod Touch + 3G = iPhone. There's no point.

4. Brucewl, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Good point, but why iPad with 3G did not become to iPhone HD?

5. Skwink macrumors member

Because you'd look dumb with a iPad pressed against your head.

6. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I needed that laugh today... thanks. :D

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I don't know about that as the boombox was pretty popular back in the day

Attached Files:

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why not just get an iPhone? The iPod touch is just an iPhone without 3G capabilities. If you add 3G capabilities to that, then what do you have? You have an iPhone...

9. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Yeap, I just lost sight of the size.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Actually I would love an iPod touch with 3G for accessing the net when I'm not at home. WiFi around here is usually locked and it's hard to find an open one. I don't care if there's a phone capability - I like the cheap dumb phone I have. the iPad has 3G and it's not that much of a stretch to put it in an iPod Touch.

However, I can't see the cell carriers allowing it. There's no technical reason that Apple could not do it though.

11. Drucifer macrumors regular

The issue is Apple wouldn't want it because it would take sales away from the iPhone. The iPhone and the iPod Touch are two completely different products if Apple did add 3G to the iPod Touch then why bother selling the iPhone? In other words if they added 3G to the iPod Touch they would be competing with their own product and they would be taking away from iPhone sales.

Trust me I'm with you 100%, I'd love to see an iPod Touch with 3G but I just don't see it ever happening.

12. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

it will happen

I see it happening. Im optimistic. In 2-3 years. Once the Verizon mkt is saturated. I will cancel my cell phone and never look back.

13. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

the money goes into apples bank account, they don't care which device it comes from. If it opens a new niche in the market - people who don't want/need an iphone, but would like to have their touch online when they aren't near wifi - people like me.

14. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

[​IMG]

15. Drucifer macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying but you cann't just look at it like it's more money into Apples pockets because for one they have to pay into designing and manufacturing the 3G iPod Touch. Then you need to factor in all the customers who do not buy an iPhone because they decide to buy the cheaper alternative, the iPod Touch 3G.

Apple will just keep things as they are and if anyone truly thinks they need 3G then those select users can fork out the cash for iPhone 4.

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Cannibalisation of iPhone sales aside, adding the 3G to the iPod touch would make it significantly larger than it currently is.

The iPad is big enough that they can add the necessary hardware for 3G without having to make the device any bigger.

17. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

18. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

But yeah, no 3G. You would have to pay 30 dollars a month for it. You might as well buy the iPhone then.

I wish they would do free 3G, where you just pay like an extra hundred bucks for free unlimited 3G. The kindle has it. COME ON!

19. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Actually I like this iamge very much, good painter!:D

20. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Your post is contradictory. On one hand, you say that the iPod Touch and iPhone are two completely different products, which I agree with. Then on the other hand, you state that adding 3G to an Ipod Touch would cannibalize sales of the iPhone, which really makes no sense.

If you need a phone, you need a phone. Not sure how adding 3G to a device that is not a phone is going to cannibalize phone sales. That's like saying if I add a mobile air card to my laptop, means I'm going to sell my iphone. Makes no sense.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd love an iPod touch with an iPad style 3G system. I don't want to be tied down to a contract phone, I just want to buy a months worth of 3G for when I'm working away from home or on holiday.

The antenna issue, the thickness, the halved storage capacity and the long contracts are why I didn't buy an iPhone and bought an iPod instead.

22. Drucifer macrumors regular

With 3G you are giving the iPod Touch the ability for voice communication over internet protocol. Meaning why would I buy an iPhone, or any phone for that matter, and then have to pay the monthly fee when instead I could just get the iPod Touch with 3G then have unlimited calling not to mention access to the internet. You might not be accustomed to making VoIP calls but I make them all the time at home on my Mac, it is a great way to communicate with family who live out of town or those who are on vacation, having this ability while I'm on the go would be very helpful.

23. userdeals macrumors newbie

iPad is more like iPod Touch HD.

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

25. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag