Does Apple have iPhone 5s refurbished units yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jason1978, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jason1978 macrumors regular

What are their general way of doing business for a phone that is 3 days old being replaced? I just dont want a refurbished phone but they probably dont even have any right now right? Dont know how it works. And please dont ask why I dont want a refurbished phone please :p

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Chances are slim, but you're still able to return it so you should get a new one.

3. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks hope so :cool:

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It hard enough to find one in the first place... Maybe if you ship it out you will get a replacement more easily.

5. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah this is what I'm thinking ^

6. paulyeo macrumors member

Apple has a separate limited stock for exchanges (from my past experiences during the first few weeks during launch).

Good luck

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i had an issue with my launch day 5s, and they couldn't help me when i wanted to exchange. i had to return and hunt down another.

8. paulyeo macrumors member

it all depends on the stores exchange inventory, colors, carriers, sizes.

ive had great luck during the iPhone 5 launch when I had to exchange it four times that first week.

9. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Best Buy has horrible customer service, so thats my reason for going through Apple. Hope they come through for me. :eek:

10. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Yet another good reason why im returning mine. give it a couple months to fix the hardware issues too then ill buy back. For such a premium product shouldnt be getting this many problems.

11. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

So one apple rep told me chances are I will receive a refurbished and 2 of them said chances are I wouldn't. I just can't believe how hard it is to get a phone that is free of manufacturing defects. I understand the refurbished units are almost new but my phone is only 4 days old. I would just like a new phone like the one I got. How hard is that to ask for? This whole phone experience has been a joke. It's not apples fault it is best buys fault really.

12. Akack, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Akack macrumors 6502a

Here's my experience:

Bought a gold Verizon 5s device only on Oct 7 (using it on T Mobile fyi).
    Went home and starting to setup the iPhone noticed there was a tiny but defn nick on the front gold bezel part.

Drove back to the Apple store 1.5 hours later and of course couldn't do an exchange bc they sold out of all the gold 16 gb Verizon 5s...doh!!!

The sales guy went to the back and said they could do a one time warranty swap and I got another new gold 16 gb GSM model 1533. The swapped one was in a plain white box (not retail packaging).

I doubt it was refurbished but phones ready for warranty/defects for the Genuis Bar.

Attached Files:

13. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

The supervisor that I spoke with earlier said more than likely they will replace the touch id or replace the phone with a new one. So your saying that chances are high for new phone?

14. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

One time warranty swap huh? Is that new? I've never heard of limits imposed on warranty claim swaps.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For a cosmetic issue? Yeah I'm pretty sure they were not obligated to perform the exchange.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I don't know about "refurbished" units, but elsewhere on this forum you'll find someone who dropped their 5s in a toilet. They say it still works fine. You may be able to get a good discount on it. :D:D:D

Sorry, I just double checked and its a 5 not a 5s.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

So as you've just experienced first-hand, getting a new phone doesn't guarantee that you'll get a perfect phone.

If you go the Genius Bar route, you shouldn't be able to tell if you're getting a new or refurb'ed one. Both come with brand-new exterior shells (wrapped in that protective plastic you'll have to peel off), and both come with brand-new batteries, so you're not going to have any visual clues to go by.

Plus, say your Genius Bar replacement happens to be another brand new one with a defect that you notice right there, it's a lot easier for them to get you another replacement (on the spot).

18. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Does Apple have iPhone 5s refurbished units yet?

But why U don't want a refurb phone tho?!?

19. Jason1978, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

It's all psychological. Especially now that I heard refurbished phone processes are getting lazy. But that's not why. When I think of refurbished I think of new.

Edit: I mean I think of "old" lol

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Like the new screen, casings and batteries that all Apple refurbished phones have?

I get it though… even though it's been thoroughly wiped clean and reformatted, I'd hate knowing that the motherboard in my phone once stored and did calculations for someone else. :rolleyes:

21. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

So technically refurbished phones are made to be new? I don't get it because you can buy refurbished phone from apple- not the 5s yet, and they are priced much lower. So why would someone get a refurbished phone valued lower in replace of a brand new phone?

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple doesn't sell refurbished iPhones.

23. schizbomb macrumors 6502

Every exterior component and battery of Apple refurbished and swap iPhones is brand new. Only the internal parts are re-used.

24. jtfish macrumors newbie

Not that we know of ;).

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right? They could be slipping those into new boxes and nobody would know...