Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed this but when I first started using my new iPhone I was immediately impressed with the app store. The possibilites are really endless here and decided to download a few. I do like to keep all my stuff as stock as possible and noticed that apple only gives us one extra space on the main home screen ( first page) for an app. Later I put my box away and noticed that according to the picture I should have 2? After comparing the two I realized that apple did not put the contacts application on the picture of the iPhone box or bag. I then checked :apple: website and noticed that it didn't show up in any of the pics in the gallery, 360 view, or even in the commercials??? Anyone got any ideas why they do this??

THANKS!!

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
The contacts application was not on the first iphone, and it only started on the 2.0 software.. at least i think it did?

It was however on the iPod Touch for quite awhile. I personally do not use it, and i find its easyer going into phone, and useing the contacts in that.'

I think thats what you were talking about anyways?

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
well i don't know about first gen... I will go check. I was just talking about the new 3G models?

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
Yeah, it's right on your second page. It should be you first app on that page..or at least that's how it was for me.

I find it better to just find whoever i wana call through the phone app.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
It shows up on my bag and box when I put my finger on the picture and slide it to the left to access the second page. ;)

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I have it on my 2G iPhone 2.0 and i see no point in it.

If i want to get any info on a contact i go into the phone part...

Can it be removed??? Dont want it there for my iPhone 3G!

FaustArp

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
thumbs down

this is definitely a waste of space.. I hate having it on my phone because all I have to do is go to my phone and look in contacts. Any hacks to rid this junk?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I like it. If I'm looking for someone's address or birthday it feels weird to go to the phone for that. It's not like I'm going to call their birthday date.

I like selecting the phone when I'm going to call and the contact book for other uses. It just makes more sense to me that way.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I like having the option to do both and I'm sure thats what apple wanted to give their customers. You can dial through the phone part of the contact application. I can see how it will be a waste of space to some users but I will keep on the look out for a jailbreak to get rid of it!:cool:

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
There's very little reason for the contact apps as they are already built-in for call and email...

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Some people like a separate contacts application...the only problems I find is that the phone's number isn't displayed at the top (making it consistent with the phone contacts tab).

More importantly, the contacts application is significantly slower than the Phone application Contacts tab.

This makes either option the same speed.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Believe it or not, some people complain about the number of clicks to get to the contacts. If you last used the voicemail tab in the phone, you have to tap Phone then Contacts. Some people want one click to their contacts.

This feature fist appeared in the Touch and with the 2.0 software it arrived on iPhones.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I find it extremely useful. I was getting mad before when they didnt include it....

If you are on a call with someone, and that someone asks you for a number of somebody else, YOU CANT if you use the phone app (you cannot check numbers with the phone app while on a call).... this is where the contacts app comes in handy.

THANK YOU APPLE. <3 :apple:

profetto

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I always wondered why they had no Contacts app on the first iPhone, kinda bugged me having to go into the Phone and all that.

It's nice to have it on the new firmware.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Believe it or not, some people complain about the number of clicks to get to the contacts. If you last used the voicemail tab in the phone, you have to tap Phone then Contacts. Some people want one click to their contacts.

This feature fist appeared in the Touch and with the 2.0 software it arrived on iPhones.

I believe it, no matter what is done there will be someone hear to complain about it. It's like many users here think Apple should have contacted them prior to insure that they agree with Apple.

If you don't like contacts don't use it move it to another page, very simple. Or get a job at Apple and remove it.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I like having a separate contacts app.

The iPhone isn't only a phone. Yes, I can reach all contacts through the phone icon, but if I want to e-mail someone, or get their physical address, my first inclination isn't to hit phone. ;)

Pathetique

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
I find it extremely useful. I was getting mad before when they didnt include it....

If you are on a call with someone, and that someone asks you for a number of somebody else, YOU CANT if you use the phone app (you cannot check numbers with the phone app while on a call).... this is where the contacts app comes in handy.

THANK YOU APPLE. <3

The contacts button is right there while you're in the middle of a phone call...
iPhone.jpg

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I do find that in either the contacts app or the contacts tab in the phone it takes a few seconds to load the whole page in? does anyone else see this? I only have 200 contacts

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
I really do find it bizarre that people "love" having a contacts app.

Just tap the freakin big green icon on every home screen! There's no point to this waste of space.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
How technically difficult would it be for Apple to allow you to remove Apps through iTunes? I would love to be able to remove 3 that I never use, Stocks, YouTube, Contacts. Hell for that matter I would probably get rid of Weather and use the Weatherbug App instead, and I don't need the Clock App everyday either. Maybe let you add/remove them as you need them threw iTunes unless this is alot more difficult than I'm thinking it is. Just a thought.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I also hate the Contacts app. In fact, having it there is irritating. Having duplicate ways to access the same information is just a waste of precious screen space.

Should have been free on the App Store, or removable with a restore switch somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.