Does Apple just not listen to the consumer? Or not care...or

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellodon, Jul 7, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

...is the phone just not going to ever be able to do copy/paste and MMS?

I mean don't get me wrong I am anxiously anticipating 2.0 this week and cannot wait to get some of the great new features they've added and the ability to put applications on the phone...

BUT...you'd have to live under a rock to not know that copy/paste and MMS are 2 of the most wanted features people have asked for on the iPhone since it's initial release over a year ago...and they still have made no mention of them being in the works or anything. A year later we still can't do those things on the phone...features that are pretty basic and old. Someone even made that mock up concept video that made headlines on major iphone news spots showing the "proof of concept" on copy/paste...they had to have seen it. Sending and receiving Pictures via text has been a feature that I had on my first Sony/Ericsson camera phone YEARS ago.

Apple HAS to know that we want these features...why are they completely ignoring it?

I wonder if an external application will do either of these 2 things?

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple need to care, given the number they're looking like selling over the next couple of weeks...

These things will come in time.. I want things like SMS forwarding and the ability to delete individual messages too - but apple will go at their own pace.

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Please use search before starting a new thread. This rant is brought up every day around here.

4. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

To tell you the truth I have never ever in my life used mms I always emailed the pictures so I never had a problem. But with the cut and pasting there is a problem I would love that feature but oh well.........

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

If the iPhone doesn't have the features you want, buy something else. Problem solved.

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Copy and paste sounds like a simple thing, but remember this is Apple we are talking about. Apple cares a lot about this, which is why they are taking their time to make it *RIGHT*.

Regarding MMS Apple is right. If you think about it, what does MMS do that email doesn't ? Oh ya ... send to phones that don't support email or have piss poor email support.

Although I would like MMS support, I understand why it isn't in place as of today.

7. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I think the more relevant concern is does Steve Jobs not listen to consumers? Everybody knows Apple is run like a dictatorship, and if Steve doesn't want it then tough luck. I have no idea if he does or doesn't, but I think he's also smart enough to concentrate the company's efforts on more pressing solutions like exchange support/3rd party apps/etc'.

I think if Apple(Steve Jobs) felt not having MMS or copy/paste began to materially affect iPhone sales then it would be treated as more of an urgent concern. As it stands, people are still going to buy the phone like hotcakes, and then Apple can take their time implementing a unique yet idiot-proof solution to the the copy/paste omission. As for MMS let's hope it's just a surprise thrown in at the last minute. Judging by the camera app and the seemingly disregard for the camera hardware upgrade in the 3g model; I'd say Steve doesn't think it's a problem

8. MacMalv macrumors regular

i don't think most of the people who buy the phone will care too much about copy and paste, it is only the fanboys (myself included) who are constantly complaining, even though we buy the phone anyway.

I think apple decide what they consumers want as they sell vast quantities.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

2.0 software. Expect easter eggs. And the sticky up top in the forum has kinda covered this ground before. What will be will be, and at Apple's timing.

10. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, well here's today's rant about it.

11. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty excited regardless and I never said that I'm disappointed with the phone or that it wasnt doing what I wanted it to do. It's a great phone and Ive loved it since day 1...some people get so offended for no reason.....

I do want the ability to copy/paste but I learned to live without it. Coming from Blackberry and transitioning into this using it for business was tough at first - because I really did use copy/paste pretty regularly. From time to time it really does become a pain in the ass...but I've learned to work around it.

MMS I don't care too much about - but I surprisingly have had people send me plenty of messages with pictures and then ask me about it and I had no idea they ever sent me anything. I guess more and more people are using picture messenging these days...I just wish I was notified when I received a message..and given an option to view it at AT&T's website or something like that. I have most of my contacts email addresses in my phone so sending pictures is never a problem for me. It's just the receiving that is a little bit annoying.

Also I'm with the other guy there with text forwarding and deleting only certain parts of conversations. I'd like that too. The other day I needed to send my friend exactly what my other friend sent me...and I had to actually grab a pen and write down the info, then retype it because I had neither forwarding or copy/paste. Little things like that are when it becomes something I'd really love to have

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple (I'm guessing for media reasons) seems to like to trickle out new features via software updates for hte iPhone, so I would expect that they will be adding more features to the 2.0 software a few months down the road, just like they did with the original iPhone software.

Although I see the lack of MMS and "cut 'n paste" complained about frequently on the forums, I never saw either of those issues get as much news/analyst/blogosphere commentary as the "no 3rd party native apps" and "the iPhone isn't enterprise ready" issues did.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

14. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

No. The OP makes a very valid point, in that these are software enhancements that could easily be added to increase the productivity and functionality of the phone. Apple is well aware of the demand for these features---this thread is not about "this feature" or "that feature"--- it is about Apple listening to consumers screaming at the top of their lungs over and over about the same thing---and simply ignoring it. These two complaints are in countless Internet threads, mainstream articles, and tech blogs. The OP is simply wondering why there has been no response.

I think Steve wants everybody to start using MobileMe in place of MMS. As for copy-paste, I wonder just like everyone else.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You mean like the great job they did when they finally decided Mac users were finally worthy of more than a single button mouse? Yeah, that turned out *RIGHT*. Oh, and when they finally caved and realized people did really want an FM tuner for their iPod? Yeah, tethering an external block with a bunch of extra cable was a FANTASTIC implementation!

I love my Apple products (including my iPhone that will be replaced this Friday) but this is something that has always gotten on my nerves. Apple provides very limited options and decides whats best for you. It's like the 1984 video, only in reverse. I think it's the Apple "drones" (or fanboys if you like) that are in grey, mindlessly eating what's being fed to them. People live in their little "fluffy pillow" worlds just waiting for Steve to tell them what's best for their computers, phones, etc. Sorry for the rant, but wake up people! It's almost as if some are hypnotized by depths of Steve's black shirt!

16. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

no one likes a smart ***

17. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

Hiding or Later

They are either hiding those features for the Launch, or they will have a big update in September......just a thought.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

apple has decided email is the way to go, which is why they won't adopt MMS. Like when they ditched floppies on the original imac years ago and everyone was so shocked.

The copy/paste is a real mystery to me tho.

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

...or a self-proclaimed hall monitor.

20. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

LOL now thats a word I haven't heard in while "hall monitor" i remember those back in elementary school!

21. YoungKevin macrumors member

I hate that Apple doesnt listen to the consumer. It not hard to add MMS or IM which is almost the same thing. I think the fact that Apple don't want u to use a certain feature is a bunch of BS. If ur not gonna have MMS tell us why and tell us before u launch the iPhone. If u want people to change u have to tell why we should. Don't just have us chatting in forums trying to figure y such an simple feature that everyone loves wouldnt make the cut. Thats what piss me off about Apple. They only tell us what they wanna know and have us pay for all this expensive stuff assuming its gonna do everything we want it to but it never does. Us Apple fans should know better by now!

22. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I doubt its that they dont want you to.. i think its more of "how can we make better" "until we do lets hold off"

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple has listened. Apple may well have made its mind up. Apple probably has a much better sense of what people want, and what Apple can and has done to make changes. They've probably done feedback sessions, Q&A sessions, and have probably have more things on their GTD list than the sticky on this forum that's just for software (having compiled a decent amount of those together, i'd say there are some are a lot of things that could be done, some that shall be done, others that might be done, and some that won't be done).

MMS isn't a priority i'd say.

As Ok Go said -
    Everything's a stress and what's more,
    well it's all somebody's fault. ;)

24. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

MMS is old technology and no longer needed by most people on the bleeding edge of technology hence Apple doesnt care.

25. insocal macrumors regular

Forget MMS and Copy/Paste...we are getting a Scientific Calculator instead!!! Woo Hoo!!!

(hopefully the sarcasm reads)

My favorite little device but I have to say that I sure do miss Copy/Paste on a daily basis. To me, it would make it everything I need!