does apple know our passcodes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theprizerevealed, Feb 10, 2017.

1. theprizerevealed macrumors member

I have an ipod touch 5th generation with ios 9.3.5. Recently I changed my macOS password and afterwards I tried to login to my itunes connect account but couldn't. So, I logged out of iCloud then logged in again.

During the process it asked for my passcode for my ipod touch. I input the passcode in order to login to icloud. But I thought apple didn't know our passcodes?

I changed my passcode immediately afterwards; but I still need clarification here

2. uscgrad macrumors member

It's encrypted so it's not like random staff members can access it. You have nothing to worry about.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A company that isn't either criminal or criminally negligent does not ever have access to your passwords. They don't know your password, and they have no way to discover your password. However, there are methods that have been known for years that allow a company like Apple to check that you typed in the correct password - without every knowing it.

There have been many cases where companies have been criminally negligent, and hackers have been able to get passwords of their users. Apple is not one of those companies.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    It's not only "random staff members" that cannot access it. If Tim Cook wants to know your iCloud password, there is no way he can get it.